• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New here, 49 , Aspergers

alex0103

Not sure what to say. Hello, am 49 and was diagnosed at age 46 with ASD/Aspergers. I am fine using the term Aspergers. My son is also autistic but hasn't been diagnosed as Aspergers, it's just ASD now. Life is a challenge when you are on the spectrum, don't fit in anywhere with anyone really. My son is 4 and starts school this year and I love him dearly and I worry every day he will be ok at school. Don't know what else to say, not good at introductions.

HI and Welcome @alex0103

There is no "good intro" and no "bad intro". It is a matter of jumping in. Well done for your first post

Do hang around a bit and get to know us all, and you might want to look up some older threads, or whatever takes your interest. There are a lot of interests represented here, so feel free ..

welcome to af.png

Welcome to the forum. Before l knew that l was on the spectrum, l homeschooled my daughter which meant more time for her special interests, such as writing, long science projects, lots of reading. She had the amazing ability to micro focus , something you may find your own son has.

Welcome to the forum. Before l knew that l was on the spectrum, l homeschooled my daughter which meant more time for her special interests, such as writing, long science projects, lots of reading. She had the amazing ability to micro focus , something you may find your own son has.
Hello Aspychata. He isn't showing any special abilities to micro focus except when playing Super Mario games on the Wii U. He loves reading as in me reading books to him and has memorised several books word for word such as The Snail and The Whale and The Gruffalo. He loves trains, trams and London tubes and we took him to London on my birthday this year to just ride on the Tubes in London. He loves beaches and going for walks in the woods or in the Peak District, I think he likes nature and open spaces. I don't see any ability to micro focus yet, whether he will show that ability later I don't know but my attention span has always been terrible. Awaiting an assessment for ADHD for myself, which I am 100% sure I have.

Great job raising him. It's hard to raise kids in this time in life. It's sad to see so many kids stuck in endless shopping carts in stores, when they need to be experiencing life, playing on playgrounds, learning how to swim, getting a bicycle, etc. Martial arts is an excellent way to burn off energy and can install that word *discipline * a dreaded word for some of us on the spectrum.

Last edited:
Great job raising him. It's had to raise kids in this time in life. It's sad to see so many kids stuck in endless shopping carts in stores, when they need to be experiencing life, playing on playgrounds, learning how to swim, getting a bicycle, etc. Martial arts is an excellent way to burn off energy and can install that word *discipline * a dreaded word for some of us on the spectrum.
Oh yeah we go to the playground a lot and walk through Rivelin valley in the woods to get there. If I say let's got to Rivelin he will instantly switch off the Super Mario game and we go. I saw he is not as confident as the other kids on the climbing frames and it initially seems he doesn't have the ability but if he tries he can climb and do it like they do, he just seems to forget how to do it the next time we go there. Going out and about for walks in Peak District is his favourite thing and we went to Northumberland beaches recently, no fairgrounds, rides or arcades, just sea, sand and rock pools but he absolutely loved it there, was in his element. Kids need nature I think, open spaces and places to roam freely. City life can be a bit toxic sometimes.

Hi and welcome, I hope that you enjoy it here and find it useful and supportive. Your son sounds great, pretty good at 4 to memorise several books! With your support, he will cope, for sure. Sounds like you are a very involved parent, that's great.

Hi and welcome, I hope that you enjoy it here and find it useful and supportive. Your son sounds great, pretty good at 4 to memorise several books! With your support, he will cope, for sure. Sounds like you are a very involved parent, that's great.
Thank you

Hi Alex

I hate introductions too, but yours is great, I must say. You said a lot in a small paragraph lol

Life is, indeed hard being on the spectrum and I believe that the termology: Aspergers is trying to be banned, because of the connotation with Han's Aspergers being in charge of killing disabled ones and during that time, he noticed that some exhibited different, but similar traits and thus, named them as having Aspergers. I only read this information, so it really is not concrete information, but makes sense, otherwise, it is illogical to ban something for no reason, thus, sure it is political.

I was diagnosed around the same time as you.

Kids need nature I think, open spaces and places to roam freely. City life can be a bit toxic sometimes.
I think making sure kids get to be outside sometimes and explore the natural world is extremely important! Growing up mostly immersed in nature and not being exposed much to video games or television helped shape the person I am as an adult.

I’m not saying it’s wrong or shameful for kids to like games or computers. But I think even now, my overall quality of life is much higher than it would be if I’d just sat around indoors like some people are letting their kids do nowadays. We didn’t even have the technology we do now when I was a kid, and now I see kids just being completely withdrawn into it. I think you are a great parent for giving your child the opportunity to explore and learn outside.

As an aside, I learned to memorize books as a toddler as well. I could actually read before I was in kindergarten :)
I’m still obsessed with books lol

Welcome, by the way! :)

New Threads

Top Bottom