• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New genetic findings on homosexuality-is autism similar?

oregano

So buzz off!
V.I.P Member
Within the last few days a new study has come out saying that there definitely is NOT a single "gay gene", that there are many many different genes that act in concert that determine 1) if somebody will feel same-gender sexual attraction and 2) if somebody will act on it by having same-gender sexual encounters.

I wonder if autism is the same way, if there are many different genes that determine whether one will have autism and then the type of autism from what used to be called Aspergers or high functioning to very low functioning with endless screaming and poop smearing and eating drywall.

The lead researcher on the homosexuality study said that he was (and is) worried that the study might be used to oppress homosexuals either by somebody trying to create a medical "cure" or to enact discriminatory laws or rules. I know that there is a lot of concern among the autism community about the same thing, and it is justified considering the endless attempts of parents to "cure" their autistic kids and/or discrimination against auties.

Considering how broad the manifestations of autism are it would certainly seem to me like there is not an "autism gene" but in fact a whole lot of them. Thoughts?

I'm both bisexual as well as having Autism, so I am doubly worried about any attempts at a cure for either.

To answer your question, that has already been concluded, but we can't tell for certain which genes need to be mutated in order for somebody to be Autistic yet.

I don't trust the health or life insurance industry to not use known genetic differences in issuing policies and pricing the premium amounts. It's like genetic profiling in order to discriminate against people who are different from the norm or have marker genes for various illnesses and diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis or heart disease. This is why I recommend people not do those genealogy test kits because those companies then own that data, the customer has no privacy rights, and that information can be used in negative ways. Of course, it has also been used in positive ways by law enforcement to identify criminals but I think it is risky to disclose one's DNA to anyone other than one's physician or doctor who is bound by confidentiality rules.

I'm probably just paranoid. Maybe there's a gene for that, too. ;)

I don't trust the health or life insurance industry to not use known genetic differences in issuing policies and pricing the premium amounts. It's like genetic profiling in order to discriminate against people who are different from the norm or have marker genes for various illnesses and diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis or heart disease. This is why I recommend people not do those genealogy test kits because those companies then own that data, the customer has no privacy rights, and that information can be used in negative ways. Of course, it has also been used in positive ways by law enforcement to identify criminals but I think it is risky to disclose one's DNA to anyone other than one's physician or doctor who is bound by confidentiality rules.

I'm probably just paranoid. Maybe there's a gene for that, too. ;)
There is fortunately an actual law that prevents all of that, though.

There is fortunately an actual law that prevents all of that, though.

The Genetic Information Act only protects one from genetic discrimination regarding health insurance and employment. Other forms of insurance such as life, disability or long term care coverage are not covered by this law. Such exclusions also include those in the U.S. military or those receiving health benefits through the Veterans Health Administration or Indian Health Service.

Consequently give careful thought to providing any DNA bank analyzing your genetic information.

What is genetic discrimination?

New Threads

Top Bottom