• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

NEW DIAGNOSIS!

Kala

Hi everyone. I'm kala I'm 24 and i just got diagnosed with high functioning autism last week. Look forward to reading and sharing stories with you all.

I also started a facebook group for adult minorities and women on the spectrum! If you are a women or person of color on the spectrum, or support those that are, feel free to join:)

da4fe55151451581e10aa2fb5e02610b.png

I also started a facebook group for adult minorities and women on the spectrum!

Hello and welcome!

Just a note, the puzzle pieces for Autism has a bad reputation because of the hate organization, Autism Speaks. Might want to pick a different logo or just a picture that sums things up instead.

Hi everyone. I'm kala I'm 24 and i just got diagnosed with high functioning autism last week. Look forward to reading and sharing stories with you all.

I also started a facebook group for adult minorities and women on the spectrum! If you are a women or person of color on the spectrum, or support those that are, feel free to join:)

Hi kala,
A very warm welcome to you and congratulations on your diagnosis. You will find lots of useful information and help on here as I did when I recently joined

Welcome to Aspies Central!

why do you think autism speaks is a hate group?
It's not really a hate organisation so much as that they think that ASD is a disease that should be completely eradicated. It's my understanding that they support things like genetic modification to prevent autism from occurring.

There is no doubt that ASD has made many aspects of my life more difficult and it very definitely frustrates me and stresses me out. I would very much like to learn skills to better manage my ASD.

But in the end, my ASD is part of who I am and to "cure" it completely would change who I am as a person, and I don't want that. But according to Autism Speaks, I should want that.

Last edited:
What @SplendidSnail said, earlier.

I think their approach is entirely wrong-headed, unscientific, and dangerous. They see autism itself as The Problem: how does that explain the many Level 1 (High Functioning Autistics) just on this board, most of whom were never diagnosed and yet we made it through school and college and marriages and children and jobs anyway? That doesn't compute as Autism Speak's view, which is that we are all sick and need to be "cured."

Also (my opinion through my admittedly amatuer studies) I think they view autism as the reason for the children's (they also ignore adults) difficulties, while I view LFA as a combination; these children have autism, but they are also dealing with birth injury, genetic issues, developmental issues; all of which also strike NeuroTypicals, but present differently.

Which is why so many say, "Autism Speaks does not speak for me!" It veers very close to a hate group.

New Threads

Top Bottom