• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New & awaiting diagnosis

I Like Waffles

Hi, I’m a 24 year old female and I think I have Aspergers/ am on the autism spectrum, but I haven’t been diagnosed by someone. How do adults typically get diagnosed? It would be so reassuring to hear from someone in a similar situation.

I contacted an organization in my area that does disability evaluations including autism but they are more geared towards children. I started their intake process and I’m supposed to gather all my mental health related records and there’s a lot. I’m overwhelmed by the task because I’ll have to call so many people. I hope I get started soon.

I think I’m on the spectrum because I seem to experience emotions and sensations much stronger than most others around me. Like my scale goes from -20 to +20 when others experience 0 to 10. I have panic attacks over changes in routine, unfamiliar places, certain social interactions, and sometimes just randomly. I have a hard time interpreting my own and others emotions. Social interaction is exhausting for me though I’ve learned how to fake it until I make it. I don’t truly understand a lot of the dynamics though. I’m very good academically and am currently in veterinary school, but the older I get the more I am exposed to complicated relationships and friendships that I really struggle with. Verbal communication is difficult and I’m told I use the wrong facial expression and tones a lot, apparently people think I’m often angry or rude.

Over the years I’ve sought a lot of professional help and have been diagnosed with tons of things including panic disorder, anxiety, depression, ptsd and bipolar. I have also struggled with an eating disorder, and have been on a psychiatric hold because of suicidal thoughts twice. I’ve taken lots of different medications like Prozac, lamictal, gabapentin, and some other anti depressants. Most make me emotionally numb and have terrible side effects, or make no difference, so I’ve been off medication for about 6 months. I was in an eating disorder treatment program 5 years ago, therapy and psychiatry ever since then. I feel like a bunch of secondary problems have gotten addressed in therapy but that ive never found a core understanding of why life seems to be so challenging for me.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? sorry I’m not more concise...I’m not very good at that. Thank you for reading and responding :)

Hi I Like Waffles :)

welcome to af.png

Hi @I Like Waffles

I like waffles too - but I find the belgian style a bit big - side track

For me I experience emotions on a scale of 0-5 while my wife has a range of 0 20. THere are a number of people with Asperger's who have a trait described by the word alexithymia.

However, welcome to the Forums

Hello and welcome.

For my most recent ASD diagnosis (I was diagnosed a child with Asperger's), I got diagnosed after going to therapy at the local university clinic for over a year. They offered me a free comprehensive diagnostic and it took a few weeks due to busy schedules on the part of both the diagnostician and myself.

I have just been diagnosed recently (at 20 y/o). What you experience is typical of autism, but, to be diagnosed at that age, they will need to make sure those issues started during early childhood (at about 2-5 y/o), so you will need to get some information about your early childhood from your parents, guardians or teachers.

You should know that females are generally less likely to get diagnoses, probably because they are better than males in faking or masking in social situations, so you will probably need to be open with whomever that will assess you about why you behave in a certain way. (Do you make normal eye contact with people? Yes? But do you force yourself to do it, though you think it makes you uncomfortable, or do you find it normal and do it instinctively?)

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

Warm wellcome to the forums :)

I see we share many diagnosis the only difrence is i have no PTSD and my eating disorder is bullemia and i havent been comited BUT i have been sucidal most of my life (and recently bumped upp to Severe on all of the above (- bulemia )

Been tested all my life from 4 and up to last one 36 and every time they added a few more diagnosis ;) Now they have tossed in the towel as i still have multible diagnosis yet to be found but as the odds of finding them all is very low they decided to stop (and i agree with them no meaning of digging anymore)

New Threads

Top Bottom