• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New and newly diagnosed Maybe in denial.

Kaitlyn

I’m 57 yrs old.
Last year my daughter who is an occupational therapist told me to get a therapist and discuss autism

I did that and he told me I have severe ADHD and that I’m on the mild side of the spectrum.
I took some tests and had my dad, my daughter and my ex interviewed(we are best friends) and that’s when he diagnosed me. He also tested me for ADHD with very high impulsivity

I had no language impairments but I’ve suffered a deep and pervasive feeling of otherness my whole life. Being alone is my best friend. I have lived more inside my head than outside

I was successful In my work life but looking back I think my nature was very helpful. I worked in finance and found that easy to understand. And I always wondered why I didn’t care about the politics or the impact on me or others. I just cared about the “right” answer and I relentlessly pursued that ‘right’. Answer.

I got married and had kids but my spouse “fell out of love with me” because I seemed disinterested and detached. I never really liked sex and since the divorce I have no interest in relationships or sex. I was desperate to stay married but when we split I was actually relieved.

I find it hard to believe that I would be “on the spectrum” because I’ve had a really big social life. But now I’m retired. I’m on my own and my life is filled with a pretty specific and firm routine and I get super anxious and agitated when that routine changes. I spend a lot of time playing music. Video games and working out (alone).

Overall I’d say my feeling is one of being an observer. I don’t connect to people. I like them and I want things to be OK. But it doesn’t feel real. I’m just solving a problem. Filling a role. Doing what I see others do. I am interested and curious about things. I don’t feel any need or interest in intimacy. I’ve never walked into a place and felt like I wanted to meet somebody or connect with them. If somebody wants to connect with me. I do it. If somebody says they want XYZ. I give them XYZ. I trust everybody equally and I get taken advantage of.

I found this forum and I thought it would be interesting to get feedback and see if any of my experience resonates with others

upload_2019-11-10_14-23-2.png

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

Welcome Kaitlyn, many get diagnosed later in life. You will find here a friendly group and many who seek to understand themselves better and find by doing so are able to care for themselves more proactively :)

New Threads

Top Bottom