• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

new and in need of friends

djavjr

hi im dante. im 30 and recently diagnosed autistic although ive been pretty sure i was for a few years now. ive always had a very hard time making and maintaining friendships and ive been extremely lonely these days now that im out of school and have been unemployed for close to a year... except for the few weeks i was at a job before they fired me for being autistic

i never really feel like i fit in no matter what group im in and it feels like the older i get the harder it is to make any connections at all. my therapist linked me to this forum to hopefully find some people. i like anime [very big on golden kamuy, vinland saga, bnha, and bluelock rn] and video games [i like puzzle games and a lot of one-player stuff; rn im very into dark souls] and i just want to have a safe area to talk and make friends

Welcome! I know what you mean about feeling alone, it gets harder after school is over. I hope you have a nice time here!

1684360572429.png

Hi and welcome @djavjr
I hope you find this a friendly place to make friends.
I've been here for many years and I like it.
That's why I've been here so long! :D

Welcome and I'm glad you were brought here, @djavjr

We all can get lonely. But it's how you handle it that matters~ You have definitely found the right place. We are understanding and are happy to help you~

Hello and welcome Dante. I’m glad you gave the forum a chance. It had helped many of to gain understanding and friendship. I hope you enjoy yourself here.

Welcome @djavjr , I understand your desire to make friends. My breakthrough there came when I joined activity groups that were cooperative and accepting. Prior I was isolated and socially dysfunctional. The experiences taught me how to be social and develop friends. Some friends I have had for nearly 40 years.

I am puzzled at people losing their jobs for being autistic. While going through my career without knowing I was autistic, I could see that some of my behaviors were not typical. What saved me, I think, was my ability to focus and apply my skills, knowledge and experience in novel ways to make significant contributions.

Welcome!

I'm glad you have a therapist who seems to be supportive and understanding - that's something I'm looking for myself.

In regards to making friends and building connections, I hope you'll find an easier time going forward. Do you have ways of engaging in others in general, be it volunteering, or being a part of a club or group?

Welcome! I know what you mean about feeling alone, it gets harder after school is over. I hope you have a nice time here!
school was definitely important for me and i went as high as a masters degree! i miss it dearly but the past three years have really blown any plans for more for me

Hi and welcome @djavjr
I hope you find this a friendly place to make friends.
I've been here for many years and I like it.
That's why I've been here so long! :D
its been a long time since ive been on a forum so i hope im not too rusty with how to use them. it sounds like this is a good place to be if i could be introduced to how this place works a little better

Welcome @djavjr , I understand your desire to make friends. My breakthrough there came when I joined activity groups that were cooperative and accepting. Prior I was isolated and socially dysfunctional. The experiences taught me how to be social and develop friends. Some friends I have had for nearly 40 years.

I am puzzled at people losing their jobs for being autistic. While going through my career without knowing I was autistic, I could see that some of my behaviors were not typical. What saved me, I think, was my ability to focus and apply my skills, knowledge and experience in novel ways to make significant contributions.
i would like to join groups but i dont know where to start! i havent really been in a club since high school and once youre an adult it just becomes that much harder to meet up with people. as for my job the employer didnt like my flat tone, how i dont maintain eye contact, and how i would "only" give the information customers asked for instead of providing a "personal experience". neurotypicals can be... challenging

Welcome!

I'm glad you have a therapist who seems to be supportive and understanding - that's something I'm looking for myself.

In regards to making friends and building connections, I hope you'll find an easier time going forward. Do you have ways of engaging in others in general, be it volunteering, or being a part of a club or group?
since im moving i will be losing my therapist actually so i hope i find a new one just as good where i end up. i dont have much engagement with other people no. i dont get out much due to anxiety and heat intolerance and i was hoping to find connections or groups on here if you have any recommendations!

it sounds like this is a good place to be if i could be introduced to how this place works a little better
I know.
It changed formats some time ago now and a lot of us had a hard time adjusting to the new ways to use it. There were a lot of questions on a thread about it.

I haven't seen my therapist in over a year.
I thank use of this forum for completing what she started.

New Threads

Top Bottom