• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Neurotypical or Aspie as best friend?

Irkoutsk

I don't know if this question was asked before I do but I'm wondering if you prefer NT friend or Aspie friend.

Sorry for my bad English.

I don't know. A lot of my close friends don't have ASD but are very understanding, however I do have a friend with Asperger's and a good one with suspected ASD.

For me, it doesn't matter if someone has ASD or not, as long as they are kind, understanding and good people.

It really all depends on the person's personality.

I have one aspie friend and one nt friend. My aspie friend is like being in my own company really.

I don't know if this question was asked before I do but I'm wondering if you prefer NT friend or Aspie friend.

Sorry for my bad English.

Both, if possible, I suppose. In many ways an Aspie best friend would be more fitting. My best friend currently is an NT and we go through much problems with communication and being able to comprehend one another's thought processes: She thinks I'm rash, stubborn and inflexible whereas I think she is uncontrolled, overly-friendly to just about anyone and too open to suggestion.

i used to have an aspie friend, he got diagnosed earlier than me. before that we were spending time with each other playing video games together or going out. after he got diagnosed its like his personality changed and he closed up to everyone. havent talked to him in over a year now.

as for NT friends, i have a couple that i know since middle school and we are still good friends even though we fight and argue once in a while.

Animals. No, but really. NTs , like aspies, have strong points. An NT can be helpful like a sight dog to a blind person, in a really good way in my opinion. When I don't understand what's going on in a social situation or other, an NT usually can both interpret and explain to me what is happening relatively well. Aspies understand what I go through on a daily basis and usually understand my particularly odd way of wording what I want to say and vice versa. Both NTs and aspies make spectacular friends. I have no preference. I agree with the other comments. Just having a good friend period is good enough for me regardless of whether they are Aspie or NT.

If there is any Aspie in Adelaide South Australia I would love to make contact with you as I don't think I have ever met anyone knowingly
with Aspie other than myself and there are no support groups here

I really don't have a conscious preference and would simply prefer someone who can reciprocate good friendship.

However, when I look at the handful of friends I've had for at least a decade or longer- the ones I consider true friends- there is a clear pattern.

All of them are some kind of "officially" neurodiverse, with the exception of one. To be honest she is pretty clearly [to me] on the autistic spectrum, but not diagnosed and there is no need for her to be at this point.

When I say neurodiverse I do include bipolar and anxieties/ocd. That plus autism tends to be what floats around in my very few number of friends.

While I don't care either way- clearly in practice I have a tendency to get along with specific peoples.

Both of my friends are allistic, not NT. The only other NDs around my area are bipolar, those on the autism spectrum are few and far between.

For me? BOTH! I need my NT friends for my small talk needs when my Aspie friends need their alone time from too much of my yappin'. :p

I just want a friend whose company I enjoy who's going to be up front and honest with me, I don't mind what their neurology is. I just need to feel accepted and secure with the person.

If they're my friend, I don't mind. If I had a friend who had 4 heads and came from Pluto, it wouldn't bother me :)
If someone genuinely wants to be my friend, they're pretty special. Doesn't matter what they are/ are not diagnosed with.

I can say I would not want for my friend to be like other 'me'.
Really I wouldn't choose myself as a friend if I had a choice. Not that I'm a bad person but I had troubles to deal with myself, I fight myself a lot. So I adore my friends who genuinely care for me and manage to get along with me and I try to be as responsive and attentive to them as I can afford within my area of adequate functioning in the world.
I noticed that all my friends are people who consider their own place in the world, have doubts and make changes to their lives according to their growing understanding of their needs. They are truely living and feeling so I have a lot to discuss with them when we meet - because I, too, live in the everchanging world and I discover a lot about myself and my own interests every day.
I think my friends are mostly NT (with capability to think a lot and they are quite self-awaring) and sometimes along with them I leave the borders of my comfort zone and expand my knowledge of the world beyond them.

New Threads

Top Bottom