• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Neurotribes movie

HDLSeanWiley

Follow Uncle Gadget, Brain!
Paramount apparently bought the rights to the book so they could make it into a movie with SNL creator Lorne Michaels. The movie is only going to be based on the chapter about the autistic boy that loves green straws. Is that something you'd wanna see?

The book is far too big to make in its entirety. It's actually a better artistic decision to illuminate ONE story in depth than try to cover the whole thing.

I am teased for my delight in color: I wear my favorite color all the time, because if I am offered pants or a shirt in purple, I am going to take it: why not? It's my favorite color!

I also have a bit of synesthesia :)

I've read the book and I thought it was very good. As for the movie I'm undecided if I'd bother watching it based on other AS based movies I've seen. I found most portray us very poorly and inaccurately with the exception of 'Adam' which while it had its faults I did enjoy, although my wife cried through most of it which was a bit annoying at the time.

I totally agree with portraying us correctly. Some people think that means only autistic actors should play autistic characters and I don't think that's necessarily true because it's called acting for a reason.

Interesting. I read part of the book and it didn't catch my interest. So not sure if I'll bother with the movie.

I loved the book and the author but there are so many ways you can go wrong with autism in media. We are getting more exposure nowadays which is good but it's still the same stereotype in every show I've seen so far. I.e - the A word, Atypical, etcetc. (geeky socially awkward super intelligent boy who likes *trains/cars/math*) I will probably watch it but I don't have high expectations. It would be good if instead of what Atypical did, (consulting autism speaks) they actually consulted an actual autistic person for their research.

for anyone that wants to know you can read a sample of neuro tribes in e-book format you can have the text any size you want

I ve forgotten the green straws part must reread I remember most the illuminating history of some reclaimed autistic people like Lord Cavendish in UK and Asperger, Kanning, Lorna Wing, and the ideas it gave me about what I hoped may happen next. I ll wait for the film to be on TV probably!

New Threads

Top Bottom