• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Nerdy, Shy, and Socially Inappropriate: A User Guide to an Asperger Life

Nerdy, Shy, and Socially Inappropriate: A User Guide to an Asperger Life 2015-07-11

royinpink

royinpink submitted a new resource:

Nerdy, Shy, and Socially Inappropriate: A User Guide to an Asperger Life - Musings of an Aspie in book form! And more.

Description from Amazon.com:

Cynthia Kim explores all the quirkyness of living with Asperger Syndrome (ASD) in this accessible, witty and honest guide looking from an insider perspective at some of the most challenging and intractable aspects of being autistic. Her own life presents many rich examples. From being labelled nerdy and shy as an undiagnosed child to redefining herself when diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome as an adult, she describes how her perspective shifted to understanding a...

Read more about this resource...

I hope she's doing all right. It was cool when she started the stim toy store website. I bought a few things, they're fun and handy to have around the house.

I thought it was brave of her to admit she did a bit of bullying herself, once she figured out what was going on.

I would be interested in reading this book; I've been trying to find an ebook version but I can't seem to find it for free. Does anybody have anything useful for me?

If nothing pops up, I will just order it in my closest book shop and wait for it to come in paperback :)

This was the book that took me from denial to nearly full acceptance that I could be on the spectrum. It was the first stepping stone. I highlighted about half the book and I cried after every chapter. No one has ever done such a good job at putting into words exactly how I feel.

I just read this and it was fantastic!

I was very much like the author. A good girl as a child who followed the rules and was basically invisible to everyone. Any of the social or developmental challenges that I had throughout school were ignored because my grades were fine.

Like the author, I thought I was just odd and believed I would eventually grow out of these difficulties once I reached adulthood. That things would get better if I simply tried harder to fit in and act like other people. Of course, I've realized that's not the case. Instead of trying to mask or pretend to be like those around me, I should be more accepting of and true to aspie myself.

As an undiagnosed female, I found this book very insightful and encouraging. I plan on reading Kim's other book next, I Think I Might Be Autistic: A Guide to Autism Spectrum Disorder Diagnosis and Self-Discovery for Adults.

This is the best read in my collection of books for ASD, written for aspies by an aspie. I can relate to the symptoms and experiences described within the book, much better than any of the books written by neuro-typical individuals which always read as a clinical observation.

This is a terrific book! @Nacho if you go to the author's blog, Musings of an Aspie, all of the content in the book is from her blog (edited I would think). And the search feature on her site is excellent.

I started reading it one evening and began to annoy my wife (more than usual) because I would burst into laughter every couple of minutes at the striking similarities I shared with the author. This book and Warren Mayocchi's Human are the two Aspie memoirs with which I identify most.

Hello...you don't need to focus in gadgets. Try to go out join the organization in you in your community.

This is the book that really helped me to see what a real life woman with ASD looks like--and to recognize myself in her story. I love this book as well as I Think I Might Be Autistic and her blog.

I really like Cynthia Kims perspective, she's too the point. Her more recent blogs wax poetic. This book was one of my steps to diagnosis.

New Threads

Top Bottom