• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

AHClemist

noble gas
Do any of you drastically change the way you speak when someone asks you about something you are interested in? I've noticed I will change my tone of voice and style of speaking to something much more presentation-like rather than the usual conversation style.

The last time I actually gave a presentation, I leaned into this on purpose. There were some strange, somewhat amused (maybe pitying?) looks from the audience. I choose to ignore them and got a very good grade.

any similar experiences?

Do any of you drastically change the way you speak when someone asks you about something you are interested in? I've noticed I will change my tone of voice and style of speaking to something much more presentation-like rather than the usual conversation style.

The last time I actually gave a presentation, I leaned into this on purpose. There were some strange, somewhat amused (maybe pitying?) looks from the audience. I choose to ignore them and got a very good grade.

any similar experiences?
Yes I do then I get the I'm losing the will to live look

When one of my customers ask "What was wrong with it?" or "What did you do to fix it?", I start explaining until they start looking uneasy. Then I just get my paperwork signed and leave. If they did not want to know, then why did they ask? I was enjoying explaining the technicalities of what I did, even if they did not know what I was talking about.

In my case, I usually just get really suspicious.

Nobody around me has the slightest interest in any of my hobbies... so why ask? Why? What are you hiding? What are you trying to do? WHAT ARE YOU UP TO?!?

Incidentally, nobody seems to ask me about my interests these days.

Absolutely.
It's a whole different me when I lecture or teach. I've been a teacher part-time also.
I also change and feel self confident and enjoy explaining things as a tour guide.
They say there are drivers and there are passengers.
When it comes to teaching and explaining something of interest I like to be the nerd driver.

In my case, I usually just get really suspicious.

Nobody around me has the slightest interest in any of my hobbies... so why ask? Why? What are you hiding? What are you trying to do? WHAT ARE YOU UP TO?!?

Incidentally, nobody seems to ask me about my interests these days.

Ah Misery you've talked about your interests in gaming. Do you have other interests? If so, I'd be interested to know about them as I find you very articulate and intelligent and would like to know what they are. No hidden agenda. Just interested but it's ok if you don't want to share them.

Ah Misery you've talked about your interests in gaming. Do you have other interests? If so, I'd be interested to know about them as I find you very articulate and intelligent and would like to know what they are. No hidden agenda. Just interested but it's ok if you don't want to share them.
The problem is you find most autistic people are like that ,the way we adapt is to stop doing it, it's too complex to discern whether we will suffer negativity it's what worries me about the very young members on the forum they're going to have to suffer the fact that neurotypicals just won't bother to understand the only message you get from the outside world is we are geniuses at computers and idiots rest of the time .I don't even know if the category of someone like kim Peake(was found not to be autistic but with a developmental disorder) has changed ,the category is named idiot savant, the medical community seem to be negligent, in the fact ,that they do not recognise ,that one of their terms is used in a very abusive way, I would be hurt if I knew people called me an idiot savant, I'm already hurt by what neuro typicals call me

I have to go along with @SDRSpark lol
And my son is just as bad. I remember when he was a teen and I asked him what a movie was about that he had gone to see. I could have watched the movie in less time than it took for him to tell me. Seriously. (I didn't say literally.) :)

...idiot savant, the medical community seem to be negligent, in the fact ,that they do not recognise ,that one of their terms is used in a very abusive way,...
Idiot (as well as moron & imbecile) started off as a neuro-psych medical terms. When it was (mis)appropriated by society at large, it was abandoned in favor of nomenclature with an unwieldy amount of syllables, like "retarded" > "developmental disorder." ;)

Saying "What a developmentally disordered person...!" just doesn't have that snap...
full

full
I guess they figured that medical hippopotomonstrosesquippedalism would safeguard the current terms from easily becoming future public epithets...? (We would already be out of earshot by the time they finally finished mangling them...!
full
I haven't got all day. Are you going to insult me or what!?)

Last edited:

Ya know, thinking about this, it occurs to me that this isnt the first time I've been asked about this. Not just on this forum... even over on Steam, where I rant about games at random intervals, I've gotten comments like this. Or things like "Dude you should start a blog where you talk about stuff like this, then your posts wouldnt get lost in the Steam feed".

So you know what, I think I'm going to go ahead and do that. Including video games, I have a total of 5 major interests. Or is it 6? Whatever, it's right around there. I think I'll try starting a blog where I explain some things about those. Particularly since, for the ones that arent video games, it's nice to see if I can maybe get more people interested in trying these hobbies out. They are generally things I think deserve more attention, yet that many seriously dont know much about... or maybe dont even know that said hobbies exist.

So if you're interested, look for that in a bit. I think I'll write up post #1 in just a bit here. Though first, a relaxing jaunt into VR. And by "relaxing" I mean "try not to stab something, because I have to fix the boundaries again". Hate doing this fix but I've been putting it off for like 4 days now. Bah. Blasted thing needs to stop being so sensitive.

Idiot (as well as moron & imbecile) started off as a neuro-psych medical terms. When it was (mis)appropriated by society at large, it was abandoned in favor of nomenclature with an unwieldy amount of syllables, like "retarded" > "developmental disorder." ;)

Saying "What a developmentally disordered person...!" just doesn't have that snap...
full

full
I guess they figured that medical hippopotomonstrosesquippedalism would safeguard the current terms from easily becoming future public epithets...? (We would already be out of earshot by the time they finally finished mangling them...!
full
Food for an autist
some cultures and generations in the UK people still use idiot, if you don't know it's a medical term you're still blissfully unaware, if you do you are sadly now aware or even sadder you don't care.

some cultures and generations in the UK people still use idiot, if you don't know it's a medical term you're still blissfully unaware, if you do you are sadly now aware or even sadder you don't care.
I am not clear on the point you are trying to make. Here in the USA, idiot, imbecile, moron & retarded were once used as medical terms. That is no longer so. They are just used as slang, now.

I am not clear on the point you are trying to make. Here in the USA, idiot, imbecile, moron & retarded were once used as medical terms. That is no longer so. They are just used as slang, now.
That's exactly what I was saying I must have got confused by your message

I love how much traction this post got! My parents actually used to call me "Miss Professor" when I was little. At that time, they were completely unaware of the ASD cliché that phase has become. I used to take it as a compliment. Still do.

For me, it doesn't only happen when I get to talk about my interests, though usually they are somehow related. I also start "teaching" when I feel that, for once, I have something to add to the conversation. Still working on realizing that most people aren't really interested in fascinating fun facts (yay alliteration) about the topic, but would rather chat about it at surface level than discuss.

Ya know, thinking about this, it occurs to me that this isnt the first time I've been asked about this. Not just on this forum... even over on Steam, where I rant about games at random intervals, I've gotten comments like this. Or things like "Dude you should start a blog where you talk about stuff like this, then your posts wouldnt get lost in the Steam feed".

So you know what, I think I'm going to go ahead and do that. Including video games, I have a total of 5 major interests. Or is it 6? Whatever, it's right around there. I think I'll try starting a blog where I explain some things about those. Particularly since, for the ones that arent video games, it's nice to see if I can maybe get more people interested in trying these hobbies out. They are generally things I think deserve more attention, yet that many seriously dont know much about... or maybe dont even know that said hobbies exist.

So if you're interested, look for that in a bit. I think I'll write up post #1 in just a bit here. Though first, a relaxing jaunt into VR. And by "relaxing" I mean "try not to stab something, because I have to fix the boundaries again". Hate doing this fix but I've been putting it off for like 4 days now. Bah. Blasted thing needs to stop being so sensitive.

Great, I'll look for your blog!

full

full
full

When I was in school, "the R word" was just becoming known as a "bad word"...kids immediately switched to using "special" (referencing special needs) as the epithet of choice. That, or making references to the "short bus".

Taking away the word doesn't do anything to solve the problem if the attitudes behind the word don't change.

New Threads

Top Bottom