• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

need to stop trying to do things myself to avoid having to talk to people

Pats

V.I.P Member
More and more I'm finding myself messing up, just to avoid having to talk to a person.

Like when I changed phone services - I go on line an do everything myself so I don't have to talk to someone, then something gets messed up and I end up on the phone for hours trying to get it fixed. THAT wasn't my fault, but the following probably was:

I decided to find a medicare advantage plan. I guess normally you'd talk to a sales rep to find the best plan and so on, but I strongly resist having to talk to anyone, so decided to look through the plans, find the one most appealing to me and put in an application myself. No problem there. But there are things I didn't know, like...… I already had a prescription drug plan and figured I'd just keep it so found an advantage plan that didn't include the drug plan. How was I supposed to know that by going with a new plan would cancel my current drug plan, even if it didn't include a drug plan.

I get a letter that my application was accepted - AFTER open enrollment has ended so can't make changes. And I get a letter from social security with what my payment and deductions will be starting January with a higher amount ($60 higher) for the prescription drug plan, so with my increase I'd be getting less. Ended up on the phone for a couple hours trying to get it straightened out. Ended up having to talk to a sales rep anyway to fix my mistakes.

That's the reason I've always just taken just what I get without questioning anything and just accept whatever just to avoid having to talk to someone. Now, it seems like it's becoming a problem. I don't want to burden anyone to handle this stuff for me because everyone is already busy with their own things. Is there anywhere that helps with this kind of stuff? Guess, I'm going to have to give in and start talking to people?

But I hate talking to sales reps because I feel so easily pressured. Like once I took my vacuum cleaner in to be fixed and the guy ended up selling me an expensive vacuum cleaner and keeping mine. Later to find out it was just the belt, which I could have easily fixed myself.

Connect with your local senior center or the Aging and Disability Resource Center for your area. You won't get sales pressure from them. These are good places to connect with anyway.

As you know it's too late to start your Medicare search again, but acting earlier and asking just the specific questions you have might take the heat off you and make asking for help a little easier to do.

More and more I'm finding myself messing up, just to avoid having to talk to a person.

Like when I changed phone services - I go on line an do everything myself so I don't have to talk to someone, then something gets messed up and I end up on the phone for hours trying to get it fixed. THAT wasn't my fault, but the following probably was:...

Don’t rely completely on the Internet, websites are created by humans! that should set off bells ringing!, but do it in daytime ,if you do it at night you will be more tired and it will be harder ,if you take an antidepressant or a sedative in the daytime ,definitely do things in the daytime as they start to wear off at night

There is one advantage of being old and grumpy. I am more than willing to talk to people and tell them what I think. In my old age I have the ability to talk to people, a big change from my younger days. Another advantage of being old and grumpy, there are only a select few that I care about what they think. That includes most here.

Pats
I thought l was the only one who did that. l also suffer from phone/peopleavoidious disease. It's pretty bad, l will take 20 to 30 mins detour to avoid *the voice* on the phone. l actually curse if l don't get the automated prompt, l know that lady, we get along great, she sticks to her script. l am sending her a xmas card next year. lol

Because they never tell you anything, you have to ask ask ask some more to get anything understandable from them. Who would have thunk it would cancel drug script coverage but in the same vein, that shows how connected the medical cloud database is. And believe me, it is connected. But hats off to you, you are pushing through the tangled octopuse arms of medical care.

Well just spent a day making calls.

(Translation - made 4)

Didn't once lose it.

(Translation - did say, and what do you do,nothing? To one FedEx employee)

Mostly calm. 8 out of 10.

Got agreement for money back from Avis and a courier service.

1 million out of 10.

I have the same disease :)

I don't like making phone calls much. I don't mind doing stuff online, and so far have managed ok. Having contributed throughout my life to the NHS services I have access to some free services which so far I have never had occasion to use. There's significant waiting lists for non emergency things I think. I don't usually answer my phone either, except if expecting a particular call. Guess what, mostly I don't get any calls!

It sounds hard to understand and navigate your systems for health care in the US. In UK we have Citizens Advice, which is a good free service, and also there's quite a lot of online advice now, if you Google for it. I would guess that if you Googled something like, pitfalls of buying medicare plans, or went to a public information site about how the system works, you may have found out about this loophole.

Just a guess, but there is good information on charity and independent advice sites in UK, you have to read through quite a lot to get the nuggets, but the issue you came up against must happen quite a lot to people I guess .

I hate having to use the phone, especially to deal with public services and service providers. They may be human, but often robotic in nature, sticking to their script and not going outside the box. I don't normally pick up the phone if I don't recognise the number, if I do and it's someone trying to sell me something, I just end the call.

I never answer unknown calls either, @Progster unless I'm expecting a call from a number I don't know.
@Fridgemagnetman - my first phone call the other day was to social security, on hold for more than 45 minutes to find out they would be of no help to me. Seems to me they should know why they would be deducting this amount and who that amount is going to, but the lady said they have no way of knowing.

Oh and being on hold was not fun - I just had my phone on speaker phone and messed on the computer while waiting, but it was all piano music while on hold and making me want to scream. (The only instruments that I can listen to solo would be the guitar or harmonica - don't know why).
@GadAbout next time I need to handle something important, I will TRY to give the senior center a try. :) But that does involve having to talk to someone. But I know you're right. But that's exactly what my problem is.

Seems to me they should know why they would be deducting this amount and who that amount is going to, but the lady said they have no way of knowing.

First rule of phone calls :

The first person you speak to (eventually) is an idiot.

Mind you, one of the phone calls, she said, I'll email you,then you can send me the information direct.
The email arrived seconds later. That almost never happens!

Anything good that happens, I try to remember twice.

@GadAbout next time I need to handle something important, I will TRY to give the senior center a try. :) But that does involve having to talk to someone. But I know you're right. But that's exactly what my problem is.
Hi Pats. I was kind of forced to get familiar with the senior center because my husband (who is 14 years MORE senior, than me) needed it. I was forced to get involved with ADRC because my daughter is more disabled by autism (and other conditions) than I am.

The side benefits to me are, I know my way around those agencies. Would I have contacted them if I were single and no children? I don't know if I would!

I just know they have been unexpectedly helpful.

New Threads

Top Bottom