• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Need to stop taking this medication

ftfipps

I need to stop my medications. I've had enough, I can tell they are inhibiting my thought processes. Problem is, my wife is gonna flat out KILL ME if I go off my medication. Like, she's gonna be livid. I don't know what to do. I was pretty paranoid before going back on my meds and I'm afraid all that is gonna come back. The people on this site that I trust have all said that antipsychotics medications are a bad Idea. What do I do about my paranoia without the meds? I don't want to continue destroying my brain with these medications. I want to get on Vyvanse or something. I will talk to my psychiatrist.

Talking to your psychiatrist sounds like the best option. I think antipsychotics can be very useful, but you always have to balance out the pros and cons of every type of medication.
Do you think your wife will still be livid if you and the psychiatrist come up with an alternative plan?

All I have to say is do what's right for you, not because a bunch of random people told you something was bad. In my opinion. I take antipsychotic drugs, and they help me immensely. I wouldn't stop on someone else's word that they are bad. That's how lynch mobs and all sorts of crazy rumors get started.

there are usually different pills that achieve the same but with different side effects

is it just a question of finding the right ones for you?

You are right, just talk to your psychiatrist. Maybe the medication you are on is not right for you, that can happen. I think you mentioned the one you were on - Venlafaxine / Effexor? I was on that for a while when I was 18 or so, I did not do well on it at all, it probably made things worse as it gave me horrific nightmares among other things. One medication won't work for everyone, there are other options out there. So long as you consult with your doctor and come off it safely to try a different option, it shouldn't be an issue for your wife. She's not you and doesn't know how you feel. You need to do what's right for you, but I guess try to manage any symptoms as best as you can so she doesn't get too worried. Just a word of warning, the withdrawal from that particular medication was... interesting to say the least.

Last edited:
My doctor wanted my to change to Effexor a while back - I'm glad I didn't change now!

"The people on this site that I trust have all said that antipsychotics medications are a bad Idea."

Then you're trusting the wrong people. Unless any of them can show you their medical degree, they have no business telling you anything about medications. Even if they have medical degrees, every person is different and will respond differently to meds.

It depends on your genetics and how you respond. I can't take psych meds because of a genetic issues. So I guess I would do my best to use logic to fight the paranoia. If I could not tell if people really WERE trying to hurt me (I have had people hurt me!), I would , at this point, just assume they were NOT and get on with it. And if it turned out they WERE doing inappropriate things but not interfering with my person, I wold ignore it. If they took that next step and made a move, then I would contact authorities. But logically, most people don't want any trouble. So logically, most people do not want to hurt you. Short of hurting you, it doesn't matter if they are talking about you are stuff like that. What does your paranoia entail? Maybe others can offer advice.

If you tend towards paranoid thoughts, could your believing that your meds are “destroying my brain” be another paranoid thought and not really true?
I’m not familiar with antipsychotics but the antidepressants I’ve taken often felt harsh on my brain, if that makes sense. But there were times I needed to take them, but not at as high a dose as usually prescribed and my doctor was happy to halve the dosages.
Psychiatrists know their drugs and you know you best so together you should find a solution.

I never would have been taking it these past 5 months If I knew what it does to your body. I feel much much better now that I am tapering down. I gained 10 pounds while I have been on the medicine. I could eat till I barfed before going on the meds and I still stayed fit looking. I may get paranoid, but, that is who I am, and I don't have schizophrenia. I got put on the meds while I was hospitalized a few months back. That is the only way I agreed to go on meds. My wife just wants me to be restrained mentally so I won't upset her with my paranoid rants.

I can't get off antipsychotics (Dogmatil) while I don't take it I get the strongest headace, I have to take it just to feel okay and relax in my head. I do NOT have schizophrenia at all. I have Aspergers and was given Dogmatil when I turned 18, I'm now 27 and I fear I will have to take it for the rest of my life...

New Threads

Top Bottom