• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Need other's perspectives

mw2530

I may need to make a difficult career decision in the near future and am looking for thoughts on the situation.

I started a new job a few months ago as a Director in the field that I work in. For the most part, I have liked the work although it is still early. It is pretty hands on and technical which is where my strength lies. There have been a few disappointments and frustrations. One being that there was a pretty big backlog of work due to some turnover in the company and former employees not getting the work done. I had to work 70 hours in five days a few weeks ago due to a major deadline. A few nights that week I was there past midnight. Definitely one of the worst work weeks I have had in my career. With that being said I don't anticipate that happening again. It was a combination of the department being behind and the major deadline. A few other disappointments - the office in general is very dated and looks like it has not been updated in 40+ years, my office is very small and windowless, my desk is very small and too low for my height. Maybe I could get the desk issue resolved. Maybe these are smaller issues, but they can make a difference in quality of life. I could add more, but will leave it at that for now. Like any job, there is good and bad.

A few weeks after I started the job, I noticed a manager position that is very similar to my current position. But it is located 5 minutes from where I live vs. the 30-35 minutes I have to currently drive to my current position. They want to interview me. I feel guilty considering another job given that I so recently started my other position. Should I seriously consider this option? I feel like I need something that this opportunity can offer me in addition to the location in order to make a change. But I don't know. My thoughts often make me sick when facing a potential big decision such as this, because I majorly overthink it and have obsessive thoughts that I can't seem to control.

Okay, I have been in the kind of job you are now. I was highly compensated, but ultimately that was just not enough. I also had a period where I went through several jobs in the course of about a year and a half.

I always looked forward: the goal being to better my bottom-line and to find a more compatible fit for my talents. I would not just say "thanks but no thanks" as you need to at least do the interview. You can tell quite a bit from those, both from the questions they ask and how they respond to you. It can be difficult I know, but take the interview. That will give you a firmer base on which to make a decision and you really owe no allegiance to your current employers. Believe me, they have no particular attachment to you other than what you can do for them. In other words, they are using you, and it is to be hoped you are being payed commiserate to what you deliver. Otherwise...?!

I agree with everything @Richelle-H said. (I also used to be in that kind of job, fwiw)

You have nothing to feel guilty about investigating what the other place has to offer. Go to the interview, see what they might have to offer. This is your life and your career, and the only one that's going to look out for that is you, not your current employer.

I know it may end up being a big decision you have to face. But you can't even make an informed choice between the two companies unless you follow through and see what the other place has to offer.

I'm sure you could always come back here with a list of pros/cons of each place afterwards if you needed more help to get through the decision making without overthinking it obsessively. We're all here to support each other. :)

For some of us, long commutes suck. I don't know if you do a long cold winter or not. Also if working late and overtime because of constant deadlines, then you owe yourself the closer commute.

Do the interview, but l hope these two companies don't talk to each other. Ask for a better desk or ask to bring in your own. And should you lose out on both jobs, do you have money to get by?

If you are 30 or under, change is great 35, 45 - you need to be where you want because you are hitting the start of your peak earning years. So something in this position has to really motivate you like closer commute, nicer office, more time to do other things. Quality of life is really what l am saying and less gas, and wear and tear on your car.

Definitely do the interview and remember, the interview is for YOU to get to know the company, as well as for the company to get to know you. So you learn more about them. Ask to see the facilities. Get them to give you a tour. Ask about perks. Ask more about what your job duties will entail. Ask questions.

At the end of the day, you're in a really good spot because you are already solidly employed and now you have an opportunity for (possibly) something better. So before you jump ship on your current position, make sure it really IS better.

Don't feel like you owe it to your current employer to stay X amount of time. Unless you're under a contract (or have taken a perk that requires you to continue employment for a certain amount of time such as tuition reimbursement) you have no obligation to stay if a much better opportunity presents itself.

I am trying to understand the responsibilities of those positions. My experience has been that neither a Director or Manager level is hands on. Management is more concerned with budgets, staffing, training, and execution via the supervisors or technical leads. If you are adept with people, tactical decisions and budgets, then you may succeed in management. What is the skill set that you use as a director, as that implies strategic decisions over a group of managers and more global budgeting. I have rarely seen technical expertise at the Director level, but instead at the Manager level where technical expertise that advises decisions is necessary. You will probably be asked why you are taking a step down from Director to Manager.

Last edited:
Best example of this Eisenhower being promoted to overall general he was a poor field General but a brilliant strategic General.

I am trying to understand the responsibilities of those positions. My experience has been that neither a Director or Manager level is hands on. Management is more concerned with budgets, staffing, training, and execution via the supervisors or technical leads. If youare adept with people, tactical decisions and budgets, then you may succeed in management. What is the skill set that you use as a director, as that implies strategic decisions over a group of managers and more global budgeting. I have rarely seen technical expertise at the Director level, but instead at the Manager level where technical expertise that advises decisions is necessary. You will probably be asked why you are taking a step down from Director to Manager.
"Director" and "manager" are fluid, non-specific terms in most companies these days. Duties under each title can be identical if the comparison companies are of unequal size. What matters are the specific duties, compensation and company culture.

"Director" and "manager" are fluid, non-specific terms in most companies these days. Duties under each title can be identical if the comparison companies are of unequal size. What matters are the specific duties, compensation and company culture.
I guess those new meanings must be a NT construct to make them meaningless or merely a nameplate to collect. It must make it easy to gaslight people who don't know the responsibilities that were never explained to them. I called that ploy "mushroom management," where you are kept in the dark and fed crap.

Sounds like overall quality-of-life assessments may hinge on his pursuing this other job opportunity. I still recall one time when I went from my home to the office parking garage in 64 seconds, hitting all green lights one day. It mattered a lot to me when my employer moved from an hour commute into the city to one that was literally down the street from where I lived. But then it didn't include 70 hour work weeks either. Most of the time, a little over 40 hours per week.

As for any sense of loyalty to your existing employer, I've always had the feeling that loyalty died for both employees and employers back in the early 90s. When leaving one company to join another became the most common way to move up in what might otherwise be a stagnant job no matter how well you perform.

Last edited:
I had over a forty year career , changed jobs 6 times, never a believer in loyalty, follow the money,
have enough education to demand they pay what your worth.

Hmmm... A 30 minute commute isn't all that bad but a 70 hour week sounds terrible if that is the normal situation. I definitely look into a new job. Its true that you don't climb up the ladder by staying in one place. There's always someone on the ladder just above you who isn't moving. Or just as you start to move someone leap frogs.

If you are minutes away, guess who is the first to get pulled in if they have an emergency? I once had an employer who essentially said, "Since you are so close, we expect you to be available."

Clever people learn to jump from one ladder to another as spots open up. I have a sister-in-law who is worth millions of dollars despite starting from a working class family and only having a basic BA. She works one place until there's a slightly better opening somewhere else and then she's gone. Could have retired a decade ago but she likes having a job.

Wife has been an RN at Kaiser for 40 years now. She opted for security and a union job. No promotions, just longevity pay raises and seniority. Not a millionaire.

I'm not so fortunate. I lack those orangutan skills. I barely kept the jobs I had - and sometimes didn't.

Slowly climb the ladder by changing jobs concurrently climb the education ladder, was my approach. commuting included going to work and a second to school in the evening.

Last edited:
So is the location the only pro of this new job, or are there other pros?

That is the only pro that I know of at the moment, but may learn of more pros after I do some of the interviews. Although there is always the potential to learn some cons. Overall, it is basically a lateral move, but I imagine I may be able to get more money.

For some of us, long commutes suck. I don't know if you do a long cold winter or not. Also if working late and overtime because of constant deadlines, then you owe yourself the closer commute.

Do the interview, but l hope these two companies don't talk to each other. Ask for a better desk or ask to bring in your own. And should you lose out on both jobs, do you have money to get by?

If you are 30 or under, change is great 35, 45 - you need to be where you want because you are hitting the start of your peak earning years. So something in this position has to really motivate you like closer commute, nicer office, more time to do other things. Quality of life is really what l am saying and less gas, and wear and tear on your car.

Yes to the cold winters and winter driving.

I doubt they would talk to each other. That certainly would be poor etiquette if they did, but I guess you never can be sure.

I am in my early 30's so I certainly am at the point where I kind of want to settle into a good position and be done with changing employers. I thought I was until this opportunity popped up. Yes, quality of life is very important along with liking and being good at the work itself. Those are the two things I have to figure out and compare between the two.

Some burnout wouldn't be uncommon after a focused 70 hr week.
You'll be feeling the after shocks of putting so much of yourself into meeting that dead line.
Have you had the chance to check in with yourself?
Done whatever it is you do, to recharge? Feel balanced again?

That said, what's the harm in exploring what this new job has to offer? Exploring your options?
You'll never know if it's a better fit if you don't find out more about it.

In any case, new job or current job, there'll be less desirable aspects in both positions.
All comes down to which you're prepared to tolerate and manage.

Your employer won't hesitate for a second to fire you or lay you off if it benefits them. They will replace you with a cheaper machine the second one becomes available. You owe them nothing. You do work and you get paid - that satisfies the entire agreement between you and your employer.

I know several professionals in my industry that are always looking for something better. Some go on interviews even when they're happy at their job, just to develop their interviewing skills. One found a much better job that way.

Don't feel bad about looking for something better. And if you get a better offer than what you have now, take it.

Your employer won't hesitate for a second to fire you or lay you off if it benefits them. They will replace you with a cheaper machine the second one becomes available. You owe them nothing. You do work and you get paid - that satisfies the entire agreement between you and your employer.

I know several professionals in my industry that are always looking for something better. Some go on interviews even when they're happy at their job, just to develop their interviewing skills. One found a much better job that way.

Don't feel bad about looking for something better. And if you get a better offer than what you have now, take it.

Level of agreement 100%. I couldn't have said it better myself.

New Threads

Top Bottom