• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Need help with Pre-K school district special education IEP plan.

timur

Hello,

I had an IEP meeting last week with special education school and I don't feel right about what they offered. I don't have experience with this and it was a long meeting with a lot of information.
They offer 12 hours a week, afternoon time from 12 pm to 2:30 pm. Speech: 240 minutes a month individual(30 minutes, 2 times a week), occupation therapy 100 minutes a month individual and 240 minutes group. All the therapies included in the 12 hours a week time.

I don't think this plan is sufficient, 2.5 hours a day doesn't seem like enough, they scored my 4 y.o. kid as very poor.
Would you please tell what do you think. Is this what they usually offer?

Thank you.

I'm not sure what they offer where you are, but that's more than they offer here for my son. He gets 1 hour of speech therapy a month...
That is also being taken away from him at the start of next month. It seems like you have to take what you can get and be happy with it or you'll just end up being pissed off. It sucks, our children need all the help they can get.

I'm not sure what they offer where you are, but that's more than they offer here for my son. He gets 1 hour of speech therapy a month...
That is also being taken away from him at the start of next month. It seems like you have to take what you can get and be happy with it or you'll just end up being pissed off. It sucks, our children need all the help they can get.
Thank you Major Tom, 1 hour a month is really bad. I wish they can do it hour a day.

There needs to be more services for sure. Seems like the people who need the service the most always are the victims of cuts.

Hello,

I had an IEP meeting last week with special education school and I don't feel right about what they offered. I don't have experience with this and it was a long meeting with a lot of information.
They offer 12 hours a week, afternoon time from 12 pm to 2:30 pm. Speech: 240 minutes a month individual(30 minutes, 2 times a week), occupation therapy 100 minutes a month individual and 240 minutes group. All the therapies included in the 12 hours a week time.

I don't think this plan is sufficient, 2.5 hours a day doesn't seem like enough, they scored my 4 y.o. kid as very poor.
Would you please tell what do you think. Is this what they usually offer?

Thank you.

this post is about trying a dietary change...if you've already tried that...then pls ignore this....

This may or may not apply to you...I`m not a doctor so pls consult one or a dietician before you do anything I suggest...

My son was taken off his IEP for math this year and we hope he will be taken off all his IEPs in the fall next year...he is not a "A" student...but he is getting 70s with the regular kids....all due to a diet change

my situation was similar to yours...but my son by the sounds of it was a little more verbal and a little higher up on the spectrum then you are at the same stage ...but this might be useful...

nobody knows your child as well as you do....you would know changes even small ones....

have you tried a dietary change?...we did and got very good results...because... if it is dietary then the sooner you start the better the end results will be...

after all ive learned if I had it my way ....all new autism children diagnosed should do a 3 day clean diet....just to see if its diet related...or if diet could help to improve some of the symptoms...

we tried all sorts of diets over the years getting small improvements here and there...the one diet that gave us the best results is the most recent one....its a diet with no dairy, wheat, soy and most importantly no MSG or other food additives....it costs nothing...just pick a period of time when you know you can control everything the child eats...so no cheating with grandma..ect....The whole family needs to know not to cheat...this is an evaluation period...if there is a change you'll know....

so you know you tried everything....if it has no effect...im sorry for the time and effort wasted...but the worst case is the child eats really healthy for 3 days....so you don't have anything to loose...

the basics of the diet is no dairy, no wheat, no soy....it sounds easy...but msg(glatamate) is hidden in all sorts of processed foods....so all the meals will l have to be home made....etc...nourished blessings lots of free recipes on the site ...and they have a Facebook group if you have questions....i confirm we got the same results as depicted in this video...

this is just moms doing their best...so pls consult a doctor...ect before trying anything....have a good day....good luck

this video is a supermarket walk through....

Last edited:
I think that's about similar to what they offered both of my children. Take whatever help that is available to you outside of home and work with your child at home. parents are the best teachers because they know their children more than any other person. Good luck and be patient.

New Threads

Top Bottom