• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Need help with asperger kid

Sara3

Hi. I recently was in a school for autistic kids. I loved being there. However I noticed one asperger kid who I think has an anxiety disorder (maybe selective mutism). He didn't speak to the adults, however I was told he was able to speak words in english and French. I would love to help him, talk to him and teach him more words in english. Any advices for me?
Oh, also, he hugged me for a brief time when I said hi to him but he didn't reply to me.

Well it won't be that he can't speak. Asperger's Syndrome does not mean a person with it has difficulty talking. Often quite the opposite. But that's not to say he doesn't feel anxious about talking.

I would say you're approaching him at the wrong angle if you're trying to teach him words.

I agree @Southern Discomfort.
It's not that we can't talk, it is just uncomfortable.
Do things with him that will earn his trust and feel comfortable around you.
It is hard for us to be comfortable around people. There is a lot of trust issues involved.
Playing games and if you can find out what his special interests are and talk about them
he might open up.

I know that when I was that age, I found all adults intimidating. At that age, and even now to be honest, I find it easier to open up to people I feel I can relate to. Try to convince him that you are just like him in some ways, or maybe you can show him that you like the same things that he likes. If he sees a bit of himself in you, I'm sure he'll open up.

New Threads

Top Bottom