• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Need help finding replacement cable for Oculus Rift S

grommet

Hello,

My cable is not working now. It will work then crash if I move much. I need to replace it but when I looked on Amazon in the reviews for every cable people said the listing said it would work but it did not. How do I find a replacement cable that will work? The Rift uses this kind of connector, it is some kind of video port connector (photos below) not a USB C. Do you know what I can do? I am stuck.

Rift side.JPG
Rift front.JPG

Last edited:
The cable damage may actually be internal. Or both the cable AND something internal can be damaged. Or things like that. Without proper service there's no real way to know. But the Rift line of headsets often ran into this sort of problem.

The Rift and Rift S are both out of commission and have been for quite a long while now. Neither are supported by what used to be Oculus anymore, so replacement parts, and also actual service, are very hard to find. Even I finally replaced mine and got away from Oculus overall.

That being said, you're best off asking elsewhere for help with equipment of this sort. As far as I know, the only frequent VR user here other than you is myself.

It resembles a Display Port connector but is different internally. It is incredibly unlikely that any company would use a non-standard connector so my advice is have a look and see if there is an electronics component retailer in your area and take that lead along.

In the event they can supply the connectors you can create your own lead if you know how many cores the cable has. Option B would be to create an adaptor to fit something easy to get.

The cable damage may actually be internal. Or both the cable AND something internal can be damaged. Or things like that. Without proper service there's no real way to know. But the Rift line of headsets often ran into this sort of problem.

The Rift and Rift S are both out of commission and have been for quite a long while now. Neither are supported by what used to be Oculus anymore, so replacement parts, and also actual service, are very hard to find. Even I finally replaced mine and got away from Oculus overall.

That being said, you're best off asking elsewhere for help with equipment of this sort. As far as I know, the only frequent VR user here other than you is myself.
Thank you, I had not that that is could also be an internal problem. I do not want to invest a lot of money into this headset because it is older and I do not use it anymore unless I cannot use my Valve Index (a controller broke again and I am waiting for it to arrive). I think I may try using the Rift S one more time to see if it will work if I stay as still as I can and if it is still a problem I will need to let it go.

I looked online and it was shocking, someone was selling the cable for $179. They were trying to use people who had no choice. I think that is terrible. Soon no on will want or need that cable and they might be only able to sell that same cable for $5 so I do not see why they have to be mean about it. Make some money and help someone out and everyone does better.

I did not know you and I were the only ones here using VR. I learned about it from you and I thought you were right that it was great for autistic people and I thought everyone would here would start using it. I wonder why they do not.

Thank you for the advice, it would not have occurred to me and I would have gotten a cable and maybe still been disappointed.

It resembles a Display Port connector but is different internally. It is incredibly unlikely that any company would use a non-standard connector so my advice is have a look and see if there is an electronics component retailer in your area and take that lead along.

In the event they can supply the connectors you can create your own lead if you know how many cores the cable has. Option B would be to create an adaptor to fit something easy to get.

Yes, that is what it is called, a Display Port connector. I did not know there could be a way to use an adapter to use it with a USB C. Misery thinks the problem could also be internal so I am thinking now that I may not trying fixing the problem with a new cable. Thank you for teaching me about connectors.

No point in attempting to maintain such a product that hasn't been supported for well over a year now.

Look what's being charged on Amazon for replacement headset/display port cables. Don't walk away from Oculus- RUN!

Yes, I saw that and was shocked. I think you are right about working to keep something older like this going and I did go to the Oculus website and they don't even mention the Rift S any more. I think that is awful. How could they abandon people like that? They sold them something talking about how great it was. If they did not believe that then they lied or did they change their minds about how good it was? Not nice. A company treating you well before and when you buy and not talking to you after is wrong. What I do not understand is the company is run by people. People have the same experiences and know what it is like to be mistreated and they want to be treated nicely but they choose to do things like that anyway. A rich company like Meta (who bought Oculus) could afford to keep selling parts even at a loss, just to treat their customers well.

A rich company like Meta (who bought Oculus) could afford to keep selling parts even at a loss, just to treat their customers well.

Large-scale corporations like Meta treat their shareholders well. The rest can eat cake. A business dynamic I learned myself working inside the software entertainment industry's marketing division for a corporate name virtually everyone here has heard of.

Tragic, but it's the reality of living in a "2.0" era where business finds any and every way to create repeat customers rather than make products which can stand the test of time. Looks like they now expect you to forget Oculus and "marry" Meta. Hope people can afford the engagement ring. :rolleyes:

Mark Zuckerberg=Milo Minderbinder

Large-scale corporations like Meta treat their shareholders well. The rest can eat cake. A business dynamic I learned myself working inside the software entertainment industry's marketing division for a corporate name virtually everyone here has heard of.

Tragic, but it's the reality of living in a "2.0" era where business finds any and every way to create repeat customers rather than make products which can stand the test of time. Looks like they now expect you to forget Oculus and "marry" Meta. Hope people can afford the engagement ring. :rolleyes:

Mark Zuckerberg=Milo Minderbinder

That makes so much sense. Where on the website it used to talk almost only about the Rift S and a little bit about Quest, now it is only Quest and they want me to buy it. But why would I? I cannot trust them again. They made me think it was okay to buy the Rift S, they talked about how great it was, they seemed proud. I bought it and now they don't care about it but pretend the next one is the good one I should buy. It makes no sense. They said I should buy the first one.

I once ordered some rock climbing gear from a company and it did not arrive. I talked to them and they said they would re-send the order and if the original order arrived to please send it back. Their second order arrived, they were very nice about it. Later the first order arrived very late and I sent it back like they asked. Everyone was honest and nice and did what they should. Why cannot it be like this with Meta or a company that is large? Why don't people want things to be good?

People complain about a bad world and people not treating people right but then they cause the same problems for people they do not like. That rock climbing gear company was very nice, I expect everyone to be like that and I am always shocked when they are not.

New Threads

Top Bottom