• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Need an advice

Tulipa

Hi everybody!
I need an advice or some stories from you. In my childhood I used to dance contemporary, but they told me, that my body was not good enough and I could get a trauma.
Now I am afraid of doing something. I really wanna play guitar and other instruments, I wanna sing, make music, but I don't really have a talent. I have short fingers, not good voice etc. Maybe somebody was in such situation and succeed? I really want to believe, that I can do it and became a great musician, but it's scary and hard.
Waiting for your stories.

Hi there, Tulipa

First, welcome.

Second: I love dancing and music and I cannot sing well, especially being put on the spot. I actually sing better when it is higher. I would love to play an instrument, but currently no chance, so I guess there is always hope.

My problem is lacking patience; I want to be able to achieve results straight away and get frustrated when it takes longer.

You want to read up on Taylor Swift. She was told that her hands were too short and she would never succeed and so, she set out to prove that wrong and now, can play several instruments.

Hi there, Tulipa

First, welcome.

Second: I love dancing and music and I cannot sing well, especially being put on the spot. I actually sing better when it is higher. I would love to play an instrument, but currently no chance, so I guess there is always hope.

My problem is lacking patience; I want to be able to achieve results straight away and get frustrated when it takes longer.

You want to read up on Taylor Swift. She was told that her hands were too short and she would never succeed and so, she set out to prove that wrong and now, can play several instruments.
Thanks for the answer. I know this problem, I have it too. If I don't have strength to keep moving, I am trying to remember the first reason why I started it or to find new inspiration.
I didn't know this thing about Taylor Swift. It gives me a hope

Well, I don't think a lot of people are good at something right from the start, especially music. It takes practice. As for talent? It might be there, but can't be seen right away until the basics are learned.
Give a try to what you like, maybe you'll be better than you thought, or maybe you won't like it at all, but at least you'll know for sure and won't have regrets :)

Well, I don't think a lot of people are good at something right from the start, especially music. It takes practice. As for talent? It might be there, but can't be seen right away until the basics are learned.
Give a try to what you like, maybe you'll be better than you thought, or maybe you won't like it at all, but at least you'll know for sure and won't have regrets :)
Thanks a lot! You are right, I should at least try.

Talent isn't some magical thing that some people have and others don't. Virtuoso musicians got the way they are mostly through hard work. Someone with musical potential who never really puts in the effort will never become good. But, to be a musician and to enjoy playing music with other people, you don't need to be a virtuoso anyway. You just need an instrument and the will to play it. Of course, picking the right instrument for you is very important too.

As for physical limitations, I know several hundred musicians, some of whom have physical issues, but they are some of the best at what they do. Some of the best piano players have hands that don't even span an octave, but somehow they still manage to play all the great compositions for piano.

I have really short fingers and truly have no talent but I still learned a little violin and ukulele just because it was fun and I figured good for my brain. Both violin and ukulele are pretty good for small hands, but kids manage to learn guitar so I wouldn't let short hands stop you. And if you never become great that is ok, you don't have to be great to make it worth learning and doing.

Talent isn't some magical thing that some people have and others don't. Virtuoso musicians got the way they are mostly through hard work. Someone with musical potential who never really puts in the effort will never become good. But, to be a musician and to enjoy playing music with other people, you don't need to be a virtuoso anyway. You just need an instrument and the will to play it. Of course, picking the right instrument for you is very important too.

As for physical limitations, I know several hundred musicians, some of whom have physical issues, but they are some of the best at what they do. Some of the best piano players have hands that don't even span an octave, but somehow they still manage to play all the great compositions for piano.
You wrote very inspiring port. Hugs c:

I have really short fingers and truly have no talent but I still learned a little violin and ukulele just because it was fun and I figured good for my brain. Both violin and ukulele are pretty good for small hands, but kids manage to learn guitar so I wouldn't let short hands stop you. And if you never become great that is ok, you don't have to be great to make it worth learning and doing.
That's a problem, I want to be great. I can't do something without seeing the result and influence on other people. I want to share my emotions and see how people feel them.
I want to much, I know c:

That's a problem, I want to be great. I can't do something without seeing the result and influence on other people. I want to share my emotions and see how people feel them.
I want to much, I know c:

I used to go to an ukulele group, no greatness, bad to really good, but no matter what the skill level it made everyone feel good. We all left feeling happier. And sometimes the people who did the most enjoyable solos were barely able to play. It could be wonderful hearing someone just play something sweet and simple. And you could become a great musician, as someone else said you don't know till you try. But even if you don't you can reach the goal of sharing your emotions and seeing the results. Anyhoo, do try.

Talent isn't a starting point, no talented musician was born able to do what they do; rather, talent is the finish line.

You've probably been told this a lot, but music takes practice. However, I might add that formal lessons would be an excellent idea if you can get them; training by yourself can embed your errors.

But what I will say is that if you really, really, want something, the biggest factor is confidence. People, all people, are capable of incredible things. What it takes is the confidence to not question or doubt yourself - to know that you CAN do it and that you WILL do it. It takes the confidence and maybe even a bit of arrogance to know that you will not fail, that the possibility of failure is off the table completely.

I might not be so good at reading between the lines, but it sounds like it's you telling yourself that you maybe can't do it. That you want it, but maybe you can't do it. You have to drop any notions that you aren't good enough, aren't talented enough, and just believe in your capacity as a human being to achieve what so many people have done before you and so many will after.

Just know that you can do it, and you will do it, and with the knowledge of that fact go after what it is you want with 100% of your effort and you will get what you want. I'm very good at getting what I want, and that's how you do it.

i want to play piano, if you will make a band then i am join it
talent it is 99% hard work and 1% magic
you can do it, majon! ¡No pasarán!
you just need people who will appreciate your efforts. can you get a channel on YouTube when you learn the basics? now covers are popular. and then you can write your own songs. if you will compose music and share it with people, then I'll post a story about Janush and his fight in Internet ...

i want to play piano, if you will make a band then i am join it
talent it is 99% hard work and 1% magic
you can do it, majon! ¡No pasarán!
you just need people who will appreciate your efforts. can you get a channel on YouTube when you learn the basics? now covers are popular. and then you can write your own songs. if you will compose music and share it with people, then I'll post a story about Janush and his fight in Internet ...
Ha, ok! We have a deal.

Hi everybody!
I need an advice or some stories from you. In my childhood I used to dance contemporary, but they told me, that my body was not good enough and I could get a trauma.
Now I am afraid of doing something. I really wanna play guitar and other instruments, I wanna sing, make music, but I don't really have a talent. I have short fingers, not good voice etc. Maybe somebody was in such situation and succeed? I really want to believe, that I can do it and became a great musician, but it's scary and hard.
Waiting for your stories.

Hi. There are persons that will thrive under criticism or stress, succumb to it or let it affect them a lot, or somewhere in-between, having that desire and some belief and self-motivation, but still being afraid.

I was a mix of all three at various points of time, depending on the task or goal, but one day I said to myself, "I will at least try, but not put pressure on myself to be the best, but to just focus on my efforts and enjoying it. Whatever happened after much practice, patience and persistence, the worst case scenario I felt was at least I would learn, improve some, and face my fears.

I figured, "How can someone who didn't talk more than a word or two to others almost all his life, who looked and acted too shy, and avoided almost all, and with no friends, and who felt afraid of singing and public speaking, actually try such much less succeed, and if it was others who thought I would fail, or myself then that had doubts too?"

Well, if you have a passion for something, anything is possible, if you have the right attitude, go step by step, put forth the effort, and have realistic expectations. I told my vocal music teacher last year during our first meeting, "I have no high expectations to be successful. If it happens great. If it does not, then fine. But, I will give 100% and I want to learn every detail of singing, and go at my pace, and to sing in my style, that I feel comfortable with."

I also said, "I will mess up many times, or seem so awkward, shy and nervous at times, but that is ok for me, and as it tests my strength to stay and work through that." I further then explained to her that "My goal is to learn to relax and have fun, with time, through the learning process. I look forward one day to look back at where I began, and how the final result would be," though learning occurs daily even for music professionals.

And I feel I have made great steps with my singing. Even the vocal instructor was really impressed with my progress, and saying how I learned and applied everything much quicker than the average student, despite my shyness.. Although I never sung ever before until last year, I had the foundation to sing from my ability to recognize pitches from a lifetime of listening carefully to music, and as I love anything that requires detail and analysis.

Talent isn't a starting point, no talented musician was born able to do what they do; rather, talent is the finish line.

You've probably been told this a lot, but music takes practice. However, I might add that formal lessons would be an excellent idea if you can get them; training by yourself can embed your errors.

But what I will say is that if you really, really, want something, the biggest factor is confidence. People, all people, are capable of incredible things. What it takes is the confidence to not question or doubt yourself - to know that you CAN do it and that you WILL do it. It takes the confidence and maybe even a bit of arrogance to know that you will not fail, that the possibility of failure is off the table completely.

I might not be so good at reading between the lines, but it sounds like it's you telling yourself that you maybe can't do it. That you want it, but maybe you can't do it. You have to drop any notions that you aren't good enough, aren't talented enough, and just believe in your capacity as a human being to achieve what so many people have done before you and so many will after.

Just know that you can do it, and you will do it, and with the knowledge of that fact go after what it is you want with 100% of your effort and you will get what you want. I'm very good at getting what I want, and that's how you do it.
You are amazing. I believe in myself a little bit more now. I do it, I promise even not for you or other guys, I promise to myself.

Hi. There are persons that will thrive under criticism or stress, succumb to it or let it affect them a lot, or somewhere in-between, having that desire and some belief and self-motivation, but still being afraid.

I was a mix of all three at various points of time, depending on the task or goal, but one day I said to myself, "I will at least try, but not put pressure on myself to be the best, but to just focus on my efforts and enjoying it. Whatever happened after much practice, patience and persistence, the worst case scenario I felt was at least I would learn, improve some, and face my fears.

I figured, "How can someone who didn't talk more than a word or two to others almost all his life, who looked and acted too shy, and avoided almost all, and with no friends, and who felt afraid of singing and public speaking, actually try such much less succeed, and if it was others who thought I would fail, or myself then that had doubts too?"

Well, if you have a passion for something, anything is possible, if you have the right attitude, go step by step, put forth the effort, and have realistic expectations. I told my vocal music teacher last year during our first meeting, "I have no high expectations to be successful. If it happens great. If it does not, then fine. But, I will give 100% and I want to learn every detail of singing, and go at my pace, and to sing in my style, that I feel comfortable with."

I also said, "I will mess up many times, or seem so awkward, shy and nervous at times, but that is ok for me, and as it tests my strength to stay and work through that." I further then explained to her that "My goal is to learn to relax and have fun, with time, through the learning process. I look forward one day to look back at where I began, and how the final result would be," though learning occurs daily even for music professionals.

And I feel I have made great steps with my singing. Even the vocal instructor was really impressed with my progress, and saying how I learned and applied everything much quicker than the average student, despite my shyness.. Although I never sung ever before until last year, I had the foundation to sing from my ability to recognize pitches from a lifetime of listening carefully to music, and as I love anything that requires detail and analysis.
You're inspiring person for me. Thanks for sharing, it was really helpful for me to become more confident in what I am doing

Hi there, Tulipa

First, welcome.

Second: I love dancing and music and I cannot sing well
Thanks for the answer. I know this problem, I have it too. If I don't have strength to keep moving, I am trying to remember the first reason why I started it or to find new inspiration.
I didn't know this thing about Taylor Swift. It gives me a hope

She, to me, is an inspiration.

New Threads

Top Bottom