• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Need advice on career decision

mw2530

I currently work in public accounting doing taxes (meaning I do other taxes for other people and for businesses). About a year ago, I took a job at a small firm (like 10 employees) due to seeking more flexibility in my schedule. Previously I had worked at some larger regional CPA firms (7 years worth), but got burnt out from the long hours and felt stressed at times. I did really enjoy some of the work as it fit my skill set well in that it was highly technical and required hyper focus, attention to detail, and critical thinking. My current job does require some of these same skills, but not to the same degree due to the fact that we have much smaller clients. Therefore, they have less technical tax issues to work through (the part that I am good at).

My new job certainly enables me greater flexibility and less hours (significantly less). But what I failed to foresee was not feeling challenged and feeling bored at times. In many ways, I went from one extreme to another. The greater flexibility and less hours are hard to beat and if I stick around I will likely have the chance to be part owner at this firm. In a sense I am my own boss (or some say the clients are my bosses). It's pretty nice not having to deal with bureaucracy of a larger company and office politics. With that being said, I don't know if the work itself is entirely right for me. I can certainly do the work, but may not feel all the challenged much of the time.

I don't really feel like going back to where I once worked (they no doubt would hire me back). I wasn't entirely happy there do to feeling overworked, although I did enjoy a lot of the work. I've heard other firms were even more hours, but this is still how I felt. One option is to go and work in industry (do taxes and/or accounting for company in house) for a large company. In doing so, maybe I would be able to find some technical challenges which is the main strength I bring to the table. There is no guarantee of that however. I've never really worked in industry so it is difficult for me to have a mental framework of what it may be like. I would also likely be working more and have to give up some of the freedom that I currently have.

So, in conclusion I am having great difficulty deciding which direction I want to take. Do I stay where I am currently working and invest some more time there? Or do I look elsewhere? I know all of you only know this small piece of my life, but I am grateful for any suggestions/advice.

Do both, stay long enough to buy part ownership, then look for the quoted option below cos you sound very qualified, why not try something new.

'One option is to go and work in industry (do taxes and/or accounting for company in house) for a large company. In doing so, maybe I would be able to find some technical challenges'

I think you stay where you are and either you look for somewhere else that gives you more flexibility and challenges, or you challenge yourself. Can't put a price on freedom, that's for sure. Making a good living is important too, which it sounds like you have for yourself already. So, keep your freedom that you do have. Maybe do something like Lyft on the side, volunteer if you're allowed to, and/or take on leadership roles in networking business organizations if you don't have to be present at your company the entire time?

Could you, say, take online class(es) or such along with keeping your current job? That could give you more skills to do more things at your company or to be mobile and versatile for other things. For instance, if you learn programming, maybe you can automate certain tasks at your company that are done manually currently.

Or, could you find a way to be a co-owner or such somehow?

There are worse things than being bored. Like, having a shutdown due to too much stress. I suggest keeping the current job and doing something outside of work to challenge yourself.

I don't really feel like going back to where I once worked (they no doubt would hire me back). I wasn't entirely happy there do to feeling overworked, although I did enjoy a lot of the work.
Would you be able to negotiate better terms/hours/etc., if you went back?

Accounting. That reflects inelastic demand. :cool:

I suspect that you have more leeway than you think. Unless of course what you really seek is to leave accounting for another type of work.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

When it comes to financial stability I tend towards the safe choices. So I would likely stay with what is working. However there might be possibility of your doing a more challenging side gig. Like maybe starting up a small 'Extreme Accounting for Adventurers' business.

;)

Before you start something accounting related for your own company, make sure you aren't violating non-compete clauses in your contract. Ask HR department if you're not sure.

Do both, stay long enough to buy part ownership, then look for the quoted option below cos you sound very qualified, why not try something new.

'One option is to go and work in industry (do taxes and/or accounting for company in house) for a large company. In doing so, maybe I would be able to find some technical challenges'

I appreciate the suggestion, although in this scenario I think it would be difficult to do both. Generally speaking, you can only be a part owner in public accounting if you are also there doing some of the work. Since, our ability to provide services to our client is really the only thing that brings in revenues. Although there are probably options to pursue other interests on the side that wouldn't be full time.

There are worse things than being bored. Like, having a shutdown due to too much stress. I suggest keeping the current job and doing something outside of work to challenge yourself.

Very true. There was a period early in career where I was under extreme stress and it was affecting my health even though I was young. I learned to manage stress better and got myself in a position that fit me better. But that was much worse than being bored, that is for sure.

Start your own company and freelance or consult?

I would say my current company gives me this opportunity. I can bring in my own clients if I am able to (have not done so yet). Plus it provides some supporting resources. Going on my own would allow me to completely be myself, but would be very risky.

I think you stay where you are and either you look for somewhere else that gives you more flexibility and challenges, or you challenge yourself. Can't put a price on freedom, that's for sure. Making a good living is important too, which it sounds like you have for yourself already. So, keep your freedom that you do have. Maybe do something like Lyft on the side, volunteer if you're allowed to, and/or take on leadership roles in networking business organizations if you don't have to be present at your company the entire time?

Could you, say, take online class(es) or such along with keeping your current job? That could give you more skills to do more things at your company or to be mobile and versatile for other things. For instance, if you learn programming, maybe you can automate certain tasks at your company that are done manually currently.

Or, could you find a way to be a co-owner or such somehow?

Certainly all good suggestions and options. Having more free time is very valuable - maybe I just haven't figured out how best to use my extra free time

How about accounting forensics for local law enforcement (on the side)?

I don't live in a huge city so I don't know that there would be a lot of opportunities in this area. Not a tiny city either, but I think most of these jobs would be mostly in very large cities with the FBI or something. I could be wrong though.

I don't live in a huge city so I don't know that there would be a lot of opportunities in this area. Not a tiny city either, but I think most of these jobs would be mostly in very large cities with the FBI or something. I could be wrong though.

Accounting forensics may involve not only federal tax considerations, but state and local ones as well. Meaning perhaps much smaller towns for some of their respective field offices. Something to look into, anyways.

Criminal investigations and taxes are always in demand, no matter what shape the economy may be in. :cool:

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom