• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

ND Masters Psych Student need Autistic YAs for short online survey on mental health & wellbeing

Leslie Keating

Hi guys , we need participants for research on the impact of changes to services and quality of life during Covid 19 on autistic young adults. This survey has been approved by autistic young people. We really hope that this research will help to improve services for the autism community. See link
here: https://unioflimerick.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1NcZc91zQGUk6jQ

Thanks,

Leslie

Recruitment Poster.png

As an American, this would scare the be-jebbies out of me to participate. The reason being, this could easily be used for data collection and if gotten into the wrong hands used for nefarious things that were unintended when the information was collected.

Ma’am, I do mean this respectful and I appreciate you allowing me to make my opinion. It has noting to do with you, but information collection in general especially whereas covid is concerned honestly to me sends up even more red flags.

I wish you the best, I’m not young, so you may have great luck being that young people in your country may think totally different.

Hope you have a blessed day

Thanks for your message. If you look at the survey it is more about how you have experienced services and how restrictions may have affected your quality of life. I will include the information sheet here for yourself and anyone else who would like to know more. You can also email me. My email is on the poster. I appreciate your opinion and concern.
Thanks

FACULTY OF EDUCATION AND HEALTH SCIENCES

RESEARCH ETHICS COMMITTEE (EHSREC)

Information Sheet

Thank you for considering to participate in this research project. The purpose of this document is to explain to you what the study is about and what your participation would involve, to enable you to make an informed choice.

As part of my Masters Research Project in the University of Limerick, I am carrying out a study on the mental health and wellbeing of Autistic Young Adults during the pandemic.

What is the study about?

The aim of this study is to inform our understanding of the impact of service disruption during the pandemic on the mental health and wellbeing for Autistic Young Adults. We also hope to identify what supports are most needed at this time.

What will I have to do?

Should you choose to participate, you will be asked to complete an online questionnaire which will include questions about your Autism diagnosis, your experience with services and your overall wellbeing. The questionnaire will take approx. 15 minutes to complete.

What are the benefits?

You will be participating in an Autistic led research project among a large community of Autistic Young Adults. Your views and responses will be used to inform service provision and educate health practitioners in the future.

What are the risks?

You might decide that you don’t want to answer a question. If this happens, you do not have to answer any question you do not wish to.

What if I become distressed?

The aim of the survey is not to cause distress, and this rarely happens from completing such surveys. However, if you do, we will signpost you to several support organisations.

Contact details of Project Investigators.

Principal Investigator – Prof. Stephen Gallagher

Faculty Member, Psychology Dept. University of Limerick, Tel (061) 234899

Email: [email protected]

Other Investigator Student Name - Leslie Keating

Postgraduate Student Psychology Department

Email: [email protected]

This research study has received Ethics approval from the Education and Health

Sciences Research Ethics Committee 2021_04_16_EHS.

If you have any concerns about this study and wish to contact someone independent, you may contact:

Chair Education and Health Sciences Research Ethics Committee

EHS Faculty Office

University of Limerick

Tel (061) 234101

Agree with @ForestGumpett . Who gets the data? Where does it go? What if it gets hacked? What if a young person no longer wants to identify as ASD? Are names used? Do you keep the email? Scary.........

Agree with @ForestGumpett . Who gets the data? Where does it go? What if it gets hacked? What if a young person no longer wants to identify as ASD? Are names used? Do you keep the email? Scary.........

I always go back to the fact the American Pentagon was hacked, probably more times than we have been told. If that can be hacked nothing is safe to me, but I’ve been screwed before so prolly have some trust issues lol.

Some here (US) believe that pharmaceutical companies are in bed with the politicians and this whole covid part with anyone, not picking on this lady, sends up red flags.

The amount of money in the States that is changing hands is incredible. Our “Professionals” we found had lots of stock in the vaccines so there is that.

Each to their own, but for me and my house...

Hey, how's it going? It's completely anonymous there are no names and we have no way of know who has completed it. Only what is answered is recorded. If the person filling out the survey doesn't complete it, the record may be deleted. It's stored in a One Drive Server that belongs to the University for a few years and then deleted. I hope that helps.
Leslie

Hi guys , we still need participants for research on the impact of changes to services and quality of life during Covid 19 on autistic young adults. This survey has been approved by autistic young people and the ethics committee (2021_04_16_EHS) We really hope that this research will help to improve services for the autism community. See link if you are interested in having your voice heard and if you know someone who might like to take part too please feel free to share it.

• Recruitment Poster.png

• Thanks

• Leslie

Keeping it(the data) for approx THREE years,when I think the word science and autism I think eugenics

It seems some researchers etc come here with surveys etc., with no apparent benefit to those who complete the surveys. Some don't even provide any feedback here afterwards.

Now while your motives may be good, it irks me that various minority groups are viewed and indeed used as more of a potential income source than actually being helped. (I want to be clear that I am not saying that it applies to you, but it does apply to far too many, please prove me wrong.)

Your survey is about the effect of Covid on services, but I would hope that by the time your survey is completed and results published the pandemic will largely be over and services should soon be able return to pre-pandemic levels. As such I find it hard to see any potential gains for anyone. (please let me know if you believe otherwise)

Are you also surveying service providers to establish how Covid affected their ability to provide services? They would undoubtedly have figures comparing how many services they provided in previous years and how many they provided during the pandemic.

Isn't the result of the survey going to be "The pandemic resulted in x% reduction in services"? Obviously your survey will have more details, but still it will be obsolete almost immediately, as devastating as Covid 19 has been it is just a temporary disruption lasting one or two years only, and the information obtained can't be sent back to March 2020 to mitigate the disruption.

Surely there is research needed that would have more practical use? Again, let me know why I am wrong and how this research will improve the lives of autistics in a post pandemic world.

New Threads

Top Bottom