• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Nature/bird lovers, an odd question please

Gift2humanity

V.I.P Member
I get sounds like pebbles being thrown at my windows at night, I got them on mornings in the spring. I know no one is throwing pebbles at my windows as I am three storeys high.
There is a field and lots of trees outside of these windows and the windows are very large.
I thought of birds hitting them and got chalk pens to draw lines on the windows but it still happens.
The sounds are not thuds like birds bodies, they are definitely like something small and hard hitting the windows. I hate to think I am killing something.
Can anyone throw any light on this please?
Thanks

Could be insects. Attracted to the light inside (or something else) repeatedly smacking against the window.

Could be insects. Attracted to the light inside (or something else) repeatedly smacking against the window.
Thank you, although it's December, there have been a few insects, while I thank you for your answer, the sounds seem to feel as if it is something harder than an insect hitting the window. I live in the uk and the insects I am seeing at the moment look too soft to make that type of pebble noise.

I have heard of this happening, and that it tends to be due to heat affecting the windows, especially UPVC double glazing. It's components of the window expanding and contracting, apparently, and it depends on different variables like how much sun on the window, the materials used, etc.

I have heard of this happening, and that it tends to be due to heat affecting the windows, especially UPVC double glazing. It's components of the window expanding and contracting, apparently, and it depends on different variables like how much sun on the window, the materials used, etc.
So it might not be birds then?
I have upvc double glazing large panes.

It is most likely an effect from heating and cooling, and not birds or insects. It's just one of those normal kind of noises buildings make, my house clicks and creaks, though I haven't had that particular effect on my windows, but have heard of it.

I've had woodpeckers and sparrows try to hammer at the window glass, and fly repeatedly into it, smacking into the glass, trying to make a den inside what they think is the ideal hollow tree (my apartment).

I used to worry, but they have never gotten hurt. Maybe if you notice they're doing it, close the curtains, so they can't see inside and think that it's a cave or hollow tree.

If you were killing something they would be piling up on the ground below your window. If it is only in spring and in the morning, I find the thermal expanding noise idea feasible.

Try googling it, there's some posts explaining the phenomenum in relation to double glazing warming and cooling. There's some on a thread called 'My double glazing makes some weird noises'. The person says it sounds like a small stone hitting the window, and there's various responses from others with similar noises, and a guy who installs double glazing explains the effect.

So it might not be birds then?
I have upvc double glazing large panes.
Birds are a sudden crap yourself noise
it could be old vegetation from bushes, trees blown up to you and hitting the window ,there isn't snow in urban areas in the UK now so nature is still active

I would love to see more people having wildflowers even if they don't have a garden by possibly having hanging baskets or window boxes. I have just ordered soil and wild seeds to encourage butterflies and bees.

New Threads

Top Bottom