• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Learning Languages

Very nice. Did you find English difficult to learn? I am always impressed by anyone who speaks English, to any capacity, and it wasnt their native tongue.

Actually, I didn't find it difficult to learn. I always enjoyed studying English and learning it was an easy and pleasant process for me. I've been learning it since childhood.
At least for me, I consider English conjugation way easier and more simple than Portuguese or Spanish conjugations; it's an efficient, direct and simple language.
What also helped me learning English is its importance on the modern world and pervasiness; it's everywhere and the constant exposure to it helps the learning development.

I should mention I once tried to communicate with a carpenter ant. I glued two tiny filaments to the tip of a pencil and rubbed antenna casually. But I have never been good at small talk and I think I came across as awkward.

ant 2.jpg

;)

Spanish is my native language.
I can get along with English, but I find it hard to speak it and I don't have many opportunities to practice talking where I live. I've considered paying for some speaking lessons on italki, but I don't have the money at the moment.
I can read basic French and German.

My main interest right now is becoming more fluent in German and Greek. I'm taking German and Greek lessons, but I feel I'm not making enough progress.

Last edited:
English to the nth degree.
Did French, German and Latin at school, but never got bitten by the language bug. Very little need living in the UK. These days, learning Dutch might be useful since I have a significant number of Dutch online friends/contacts. Thankfully for me they all speak much better English than most of the Brits I meet day to day.

Elementary Spanish. Was a year in Finland, but language was so difficult l studied French in Finland. Heard my grandmother and aunts speaking Italien on mum's side, but they didn't teach me but l can distinguish the sound of it from Spanish. And English, and tiny bit of Hawaiian pidgen. Dem wahines broka de mouth with ono delish 2 scoops rice plate lunch. Why you no call me? eh?

In Canada the two official languages are English and French. I speak English, but like most English-speaking Canadians I only know a few French words and phrases.

English, some rusty French, school Latin, and some archaic Welsh from childhood. I didnt find languages easy to learn in the classroom but can improve more through speaking with others.

My native tongue is English, but I also speak German, Greek and Romanian well, also: French, Spanish, Itailan, a smattering of Polish. I'm now learning Latin, too, on Duolingo. I've become hooked on Duolingo recently, and have plans to learn a lot more languages, though I know that Duolingo is limited and I'm never going to become fluent with Duolingo alone. It does give you an idea of the language though, and on the forum one can find futher resources and discussions of individual languages.

Lativian, that is interesting since I havent come across any Latvian speakers in my personal life. Your English is great as well. How long have you studied English? Was learning English apart of your schooling?

I moved from Latvia to the UK 23 years ago :) I was 10 at the time, so I know my native languages, but am very rusty due to lack of use.

My first languages were Frisian and Dutch, but now my primary language is English as we moved to New Zealand when I was 4. I also know New Zealand Sign Language.

No, actually, I retained enough French that I "placed out" of the degree requirement in college (passed a placement test at the start of the school year). I was a science major and did not need multiple languages. Later I went back to college as a post-baccalaureate student and took German because I wanted more liberal arts work than I had had in my first degree program. Currently I wish I knew Italian and Spanish and Latin and Greek, but realistically, I may be too old to learn a foreign language.

Impressive. You are never too old to learn anything if you have the desire and passion. I say, start learning little by little and have fun in the process. With your french background, they wont be as hard to learn as you may think.
English, though I would also speak the native language (Sm'álgyax, which translates to "Real or True Language") of my people (The Tsimshian) if I knew how (I'm Native Canadian/American, for context). There's fewer and fewer speakers of it, sadly.
That is a language I am not familiar with. Interesting. I will read up on it.

While lacking interest in actively fixing my issues with English. I do still passively try to learn. Like Learning Japanese has made me better understand things like sentences and context in English. And my use of the pronoun I is less frequent. (Don't like the I, with its irregular capitalisation)

My current signature says the main reason for learning Japanese, but all the reasons you listed is also true.
Japanese have actually been pretty easy to learn. The biggest issue so far has only been the use of new grammar with previously learned grammar.
日本人の友達を作りたいから、日本語を勉強しています。

Ah. It is always nice to make new friends. Yes, learning a new language will test your command of syntax. Keep it up!

I guess Finnish can be difficult as a new language, considering it comes from completely differrent family of languages than majority of European languages.

I believe my trouble with Swedish is the fact that I've never found use for it.
I used to have difficulties with English as well, until I started actually finding and using it in internet and video games.

Yeah, that is hard. You have to maintain the language through practice. You can probably find swedish people who are will

Spanish is my native language.
I can get along with English, but I find it hard to speak it and I don't have many opportunities to practice talking where I live. I've considered paying for some speaking lessons on italki, but I don't have the money at the moment.
I can read basic French and German.

My main interest right now is becoming more fluent in German and Greek. I'm taking German and Greek lessons, but I feel I'm not making enough progress.

Nice. Have you tried a platform like Discord to practice. You can use voice chat and talk with natives. There are a lot of language learning channels.
At the time (mid 70s) it was a personal elective.
Gotcha.

English, some rusty French, school Latin, and some archaic Welsh from childhood. I didnt find languages easy to learn in the classroom but can improve more through speaking with others.
Welsh. interesting.

English, American sign language.
Did you learn sign-language through schooling?

Classroom lectures were not for me. I probably failed Spanish

Me either. I think i failed Spanish twice in school. I didnt have an interest. But, I plan on learning the language within two months. I just need to find a practical time slot to do so.

My native tongue is English, but I also speak German, Greek and Romanian well, also: French, Spanish, Itailan, a smattering of Polish. I'm now learning Latin, too, on Duolingo. I've become hooked on Duolingo recently, and have plans to learn a lot more languages, though I know that Duolingo is limited and I'm never going to become fluent with Duolingo alone. It does give you an idea of the language though, and on the forum one can find futher resources and discussions of individual languages.

Oh, I think you got bit by the language bug. Polyglot moving on to hyperpolyglot I see. May I ask, where did you interest in learning languages, specifically those, come from?

My first languages were Frisian and Dutch, but now my primary language is English as we moved to New Zealand when I was 4. I also know New Zealand Sign Language.

Interesting. I never heard of Frisian until today and also wasn't aware that sign language was regional. Of course, it makes sense if you take one second to think about it but, it never crossed my mind.

I didnt think this thread would be as popular as it is. I am glad to see everyone's interest in languages and ultimately other people and cultures that are different than their own.

I am currently teaching myself Mandarin Chinese. For those who can speak Mandarin:
我会说一点中文。我是自学的

Nice. Have you tried a platform like Discord to practice. You can use voice chat and talk with natives. There are a lot of language learning channels.

Gotcha.

Welsh. interesting.

Did you learn sign-language through schooling?

Classroom lectures were not for me. I probably failed Spanish

Me either. I think i failed Spanish twice in school. I didnt have an interest. But, I plan on learning the language within two months. I just need to find a practical time slot to do so.

Oh, I think you got bit by the language bug. Polyglot moving on to hyperpolyglot I see. May I ask, where did you interest in learning languages, specifically those, come from?

Interesting. I never heard of Frisian until today and also wasn't aware that sign language was regional. Of course, it makes sense if you take one second to think about it but, it never crossed my mind.

I studied American Sign Language/Deaf Culture in college. I also spent as much time as I could immersed in a signing community, mostly Deaf. I also had Deaf friends. Between the exposure and classes I was somewhat fluent though I had much more trouble understanding than speaking. I think that because I have not signed for so long, I have lost much of my skills but also think they would come back if I signed everyday.

I studied American Sign Language/Deaf Culture in college. I also spent as much time as I could immersed in a signing community, mostly Deaf. I also had Deaf friends. Between the exposure and classes I was somewhat fluent though I had much more trouble understanding than speaking. I think that because I have not signed for so long, I have lost much of my skills but also think they would come back if I signed everyday.

Very cool. I agree with you, if you were immersed into it, anything you think you may have lost will come back to you. Maybe I will learn :). I am sure it will open up more access to many different people.

I'm too socially anxious for voice chat, though mesaging would work I guess.
Yes, I did. Since I was in high school. I remember we wee shown a video in the music lesson that showed a forest in souther Germany, and it seemed llike an idyllic, peaceful place for me. Somehow it really affected me an I wanted to know eveything about Germany, it's history, language, culture. It became a 'special interest.' I never felt that I belonged anywhere, and I longed to go away somewhere, where things might be better for me. Of course, it isn't better - it's just the same thing in a different setting, but at the time it was kind of a way of escaping for me.

New Threads

Top Bottom