• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Narrow-minded Parenting

You won't change those people, either. It isn't ALL genes, etc. That's the problem. There's an element of our will, our choice & decision. Or perhaps the shouters can't help it because of their genes?

Children are a product primarily of two things: genetics and environment.

Guess who gives them their genes? The same people who are largely responsible for the environment they grew up in. Their parents.

So when I hear parents telling their kids that they are worthless, or complaining about what losers their kids are, all I can think is that the parents are f*ckwits.

I stood up for a little boy whose mother called him a little brat just because he would rather stand up than sit down. She told me "You haven't known him all day." I hadn't, but stressy parents are not suitable parents. My bf didn't like what I did, but at least now I know he understands that it is unacceptable to get impatient with yopur children. I still support the child here, because he is the innocent. The ***** brought him into this world probably without his knowledge or consent, and now believes he owes her for it.

I'm fortunate to have lovely parents, but they're pretty conservative. In addition to being Christian and well-educated and having high expectations for me, their only daughter. They don't know much about Aspergers at all and they don't get why I'm not social like them or why little things like textures or sounds tick me off. They think I'm indulging myself.

You won't change those people, either. It isn't ALL genes, etc. That's the problem. There's an element of our will, our choice & decision. Or perhaps the shouters can't help it because of their genes?

What really sucks is my father was too busy getting ice cream at friuendly, buying videos at the video store and just generally spending money on himself to actually care about me and how I was turning out. He even helped me cheat to overcome problems I had. This coming froma guy who lied to my mom from the very beginning about things, yet she still married him and stayed with him until he died of cancer. My mother worked because my dad was disabled. My dad abused me mentally, emotionally, physically daily and then the abuse continued in school for me with all the male kids, teachers, etc. As far as my dad cared to know everything was peaches and cream. When I had learning disabilities and couldn't basically learn anything unless it involved using my good short term memory to memorize facts, only later to lose them when new information came along. I couldn't make one friend ever and my dad was at the schools time and time again when I was suspended or in trouble for fighting yet never did anything but punish me. I was the one always in the middle so they all blamed me when the reality is I had a billion bullies harrassing/beating me up/etc. every moment of every ****ing day to the point I wanted to die. My mom worked and by the time she got home I was totally battered and spent and didnt want to talk to her or anyone else. I was just all alone and wanted it that way after enough people hurt me. But in retrospect my mom always looks back and turns a blind eye to everything as if somehow she was in this parallel universe where our lives were perfect and there's no way I could have been going through these disabilities. Even after I was diagnosed 3 times, she still couldn't accept it. She always says why didn't I tell her what was going on, and I just have to control my anger because I feel like breaking everything when I hear her ignorant recollections/copouts of what I had to live with day by day.

New Threads

Top Bottom