• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mysterious (?) Chronic Pain

Fino

Alex
V.I.P Member
I've run out of ideas so I thought I might ask the smartest people I know and see what happens! :D

My neck has been hurting on the right side for as long as I can remember. It doesn't typically hurt from moment to moment, it's more of a range of motion thing, I think. I can't look to the right for long periods of time (a couple minutes), such as sitting on the left side of the theater or talking to someone on my right.

It's most obvious, and most problematic, when trying to sleep. It would be far too painful to sleep on my left side and it hurts slightly when I sleep on my back so I'm required to sleep on my right side, which causes problems with my tendonitis hand and also is just annoying to always sleep on the same side.

I've tried physical therapy, acupuncture, massage therapy, a chiropractor, and, of course drugs. They all do nothing. They don't reduce it or change it in any noticeable way.

It feels as if my neck is not supposed to go that way. It's like if you tried bending your arm backwards. There isn't any treatment that is going to stop that from hurting. A painkiller wouldn't allow you to do it.

I had an X-ray and an MRI done and it's all normal. My doctor ran out of ideas and is sending me back to physical therapy, so that's happening.

I thought it might useful, though, to see if anyone here has any thoughts or just wanted to share their experiences with chronic pain, what they tried, what worked, what didn't, etc.

And is it unusual for someone to be in near constant physical pain from a young age, 10, 11, somewhere around there? Older people always joke that I need to enjoy my youth because later I will be aching every day. Maybe it'll be like a Benjamin Button thing and I'll be pain-free when I'm elderly? :eek:

Thank you for whatever you say!

I'm sure it'll be awesome! :)

No pressure! ;)

My initial thought was to mention chiropractic treatment, as I, personally, have consistently, good results, but, then I read that it was something you've, already attempted. May I ask how many adjustments you had? It's possible that you may have needed to go a few, additional times, to acquire the movement and flexibility needed, to adjust the specific area in need.

Another thought, particularly, based on the fact that you've experienced chronic pain since childhood, is that you could have an autoimmune issue. There could be food-sensitivity or intolerance involved. I could make suggestions, however, I know that suggesting an ailment could be related to food intolerance, commonly repels people with ASD. I, personally, believe that there is usually (not always) a connection/ correlation between food and ailments/ illnesses/ mental-health/ wellbeing.

I'm truly sorry that you are in pain, and hope you will become pain-free. I just had another thought. Not about what possible condition you could have, but, a couple of natural remedies I take on a daily basis, that have virtually, eliminated pain in my shoulder from an old sports injury, and pain I had in my hip, as one of my bones is slightly deformed. One is turmeric and the other is the amino acid; D L-Phenylalanine (DLPA).

Last edited:
Is the pain entirely localised or do you experienced any referred pain or sensations, such as an ache in the corresponding arm or tingling in your fingers?
Are there any triggers you've identified that bring it on or make it worse?
Have you ever had whiplash or a head injury?
Is there any history of inflammatory disease in your family?
Do you suffer from stomach problems, rashes or psoriasis?
All these are questions I would expect you to be asked when investigating something like this.
There are a number of things that could be causing the pain, some of which are often missed in younger people because they're rare in that demographic.
By all means answer those questions here if you want to, it might help us point you in a particular direction, but they might well be things to think about and discuss (if you haven't already) next time you're with the doctor.

Can you afford to see a Natural Practitioner? They can test you for things like heavy metals and other things. Our world is a cesspool of toxins. There is no way to think that the 10,000 chemicals we are exposed to every year is benign.

I found over time that my body had natural weak points. Things that wear out/cause trouble earlier then others. Some began to show or gave hints at a very young age. Over time I learned which things aggravated them and what to avoid. Usually I can tie it to certain repetitive or straining motions/activities, stress/nervous tension or environmental conditions (ie. cold, allergens). One sneaky culprit is sitting at the computer long periods of time. It can be hard to pick out what is the cause. One basic technique I use is when things start to hurt is change up my activities or activity level.

So much great information!!! Thank you so much, everyone! I'll have to come back in a bit to really look into everything, but I'll just answer this for now because it's easy.

My initial thought was to mention chiropractic treatment, as I, personally, have consistently, good results, but, then I read that it was something you've, already attempted. May I ask how many adjustments you had? It's possible that you may have needed to go a few, additional times, to acquire the movement and flexibility needed, to adjust the specific area in need.

Another thought, particularly, based on the fact that you've experienced chronic pain since childhood, is that you could have an autoimmune issue. There could be food-sensitivity or intolerance involved. I could make suggestions, however, I know that suggesting an ailment could be related to food intolerance, commonly repels people with ASD. I, personally, believe that there is usually (not always) a connection/ correlation between food and ailments/ illnesses/ mental-health/ wellbeing

I only went to the chiropractor once because she said there was very little to be adjusted, did some, it made it hurt more, and she recommended I come back once a month for maintenance and I didn't see any reason to do that.

Is the auto-immune issue you reference separate from the food thing or are those the same subject?

Food has always been stressful for me. I can't stand the taste of most foods and often just went hungry as a kid rather than eat what was available. Now, I've found a few things I can tolerate and eat those every day but chocolate is the only thing I actually enjoy eating.

What exactly are you saying about food? That certain foods could be a factor, sort of like an allergy?

My first thought was spine, but xrays and mri would have shown something. I would ask all the same questions as @Autistamatic. Another possibility is the muscles and tendons on the side of your neck being shorter and less elastic. It sounds like you guard that side, which could actually make it worse - you've heard the saying "move it or lose it?" Not saying to start trying to stretch it out and all without a professional's opinion. The chiropractor and physical therapy would only work if it was continued throughout the days when you are not there. Take a tight rubber band that's hard to stretch so it'll only stretch out so far. But the more frequently you stretch it, it becomes easier to stretch. Muscles work the same. That's just a non-professional thought.
Elderly people in nursing homes that get tied into their wheelchair to keep them from falling are not able to use their leg muscles and very quickly lose the ability to walk. If someone is bed bound for several weeks, they will have trouble walking at first.

So much great information!!! Thank you so much, everyone! I'll have to come back in a bit to really look into everything, but I'll just answer this for now because it's easy.

I only went to the chiropractor once because she said there was very little to be adjusted, did some, it made it hurt more, and she recommended I come back once a month for maintenance and I didn't see any reason to do that.

Is the auto-immune issue you reference separate from the food thing or are those the same subject?

Food has always been stressful for me. I can't stand the taste of most foods and often just went hungry as a kid rather than eat what was available. Now, I've found a few things I can tolerate and eat those every day but chocolate is the only thing I actually enjoy eating.

What exactly are you saying about food? That certain foods could be a factor, sort of like an allergy?

I'm about to board a plane, but, can answer, briefly, now, and will return, as soon as possible (unless my brief answer suffices)

Yes, you could be intolerant or allergic to certain foods and/ or, other things/ pathogens in the air, and, as TheFreeCat mentioned, heavy metals in the environment. There are many, possible reasons for a weakened immune system. The first thing one should do, if they wish to heal, is to get to the bottom of what is causing your pain, as you are attempting to do. Even if your immune system is up to par, certain foods cause inflammation in the body and brain. Inflammation can be the cause of pain, among other things. Pain is a signal that something is not right. Your immune system is, usually, first to take a hit. A weakened immune system can cause inflamation, in and of itself. I have to apologize for my roundabout explanation, and, repeating some things. It can take me ages to explain what I wish to, so, I will return, as soon as I am able. If you were to be interested in trying to eliminate pain through diet, I could, perhaps, help you. Im not the sharpest tool in the shed, generally, speaking, but, I am quite knowledgable with regard to the connection between food, pathogens and their effects on the human brain/ body/ systems, and ridding some ailments, that can in fact be rid, by eliminating foods that certain pathogens/ microbes/ parasites, etcetera, feed on, and, of which are, usually (not always) responsible for a weakened immune system.

edit: Although, even if your immune system is healthy, functioning properly, certain foods will, automatically, cause inflamation and exaserbate pre-existing pain in most humans, so, a process of eliminating foods from your diet, could, possibly, make a world of difference.

Last edited:
My first thought was spine, but xrays and mri would have shown something. I would ask all the same questions as @Autistamatic. Another possibility is the muscles and tendons on the side of your neck being shorter and less elastic. It sounds like you guard that side, which could actually make it worse - you've heard the saying "move it or lose it?" Not saying to start trying to stretch it out and all without a professional's opinion. The chiropractor and physical therapy would only work if it was continued throughout the days when you are not there. Take a tight rubber band that's hard to stretch so it'll only stretch out so far. But the more frequently you stretch it, it becomes easier to stretch. Muscles work the same. That's just a non-professional thought.
Elderly people in nursing homes that get tied into their wheelchair to keep them from falling are not able to use their leg muscles and very quickly lose the ability to walk. If someone is bed bound for several weeks, they will have trouble walking at first.

Shorter and less elastic does sound like something I was trying to describe.

If that were the case, is it caused by something or just sorta there? It's fixable? I think you're implying that it is. When I did physical therapy, I went for several months and then he said that if I continue doing what he's taught me I'll be good. I continued for about a year then stopped because that wasn't happening. Am I just off about time and I should have gone for years and years, maybe?

And an MRI wouldn't see something like that?

I'm about to board a plane, but, can answer, briefly, now, and will return, as soon as possible (unless my brief answer suffices)

Yes, you could be intolerant or allergic to certain foods and/ or, other things/ pathogens in the air, and, as TheFreeCat mentioned, heavy metals in the environment. There are many, possible reasons for a weakened immune system. The first thing one should do, if they wish to heal, is to get to the bottom of what is causing your pain, as you are attempting to do. Even if your immune system is up to par, certain foods cause inflammation in the body and brain. Inflammation can be the cause of pain, among other things. Pain is a signal that something is not right. Your immune system is, usually, first to take a hit. A weakened immune system can cause inflamation, in and of itself. I have to apologize for my roundabout explanation, and, repeating some things. It can take me ages to explain what I wish to, so, I will return, as soon as I am able. If you were to be interested in trying to eliminate pain through diet, I could, perhaps, help you. Im not the sharpest tool in the shed, generally, speaking, but, I am quite knowledgable with regard to the connection between food, pathogens and their effects on the human brain/ body/ systems, and ridding some ailments, that can in fact be rid, by eliminating foods that certain pathogens/ microbes/ parasites, etcetera, feed on, and, of which are, usually (not always) responsible for a weakened immune system.

edit: Although, even if your immune system is healthy, functioning properly, certain foods will, automatically, cause inflamation and exaserbate pre-existing pain in most humans, so, a process of eliminating foods from your diet, could, possibly, make a world of difference.

If inflammation were the culprit, then wouldn't anti-inflammatory medication help it and a strong enough anti-inflammatory temporarily fix it?

And if it were caused by inflammation and the inflammation caused by food or other things that come and go, then wouldn't the pain increase and decrease with the changing factors? Rather than be a consistent inability to move a certain way without pain?

I'm just guessing, my knowledge in biology, and whatever else these areas are, is almost non-existent.

Is the pain entirely localised or do you experienced any referred pain or sensations, such as an ache in the corresponding arm or tingling in your fingers?
Are there any triggers you've identified that bring it on or make it worse?
Have you ever had whiplash or a head injury?
Is there any history of inflammatory disease in your family?
Do you suffer from stomach problems, rashes or psoriasis?
All these are questions I would expect you to be asked when investigating something like this.
There are a number of things that could be causing the pain, some of which are often missed in younger people because they're rare in that demographic.
By all means answer those questions here if you want to, it might help us point you in a particular direction, but they might well be things to think about and discuss (if you haven't already) next time you're with the doctor.

Yes, all of these have been discussed at some point. The only one I wonder about is the question about whiplash and head injuries. I've been asked similar questions many times and they always word it differently, but I'm never exactly sure how to answer it. Does it only refer to serious injuries, ones that would require hospitalization?

I felt on my head twice as a kid, straight down, head to concrete, but it just made me dizzy and nauseous for a while then I was fine, and I was hit in back of the head with a rock and thought I was dying at first but was fine, and I was hit in the face/head countless times but never hard enough to cause apparent injury.

Is any of that relevant to that question or is the question looking for something a little more extreme?

Well I have a compacted disc in my neck which means I have a nerve that is frequently compressed causing severe pain and difficulty moving. I've had no whiplash nor serious injuries worse than you, except being clipped around the ear a lot when I was a kid. It took 3 cervical x-rays and an MRI scan before it was spotted. 2 rheumatologists have told me you don't have to have major trauma to cause it, but if you have it's a significant indicator.
Obviously I don't know what your neck problem is, but the lack of serious trauma doesn't mean there's no underlying injury.

Shorter and less elastic does sound like something I was trying to describe.

If that were the case, is it caused by something or just sorta there? It's fixable? I think you're implying that it is. When I did physical therapy, I went for several months and then he said that if I continue doing what he's taught me I'll be good. I continued for about a year then stopped because that wasn't happening. Am I just off about time and I should have gone for years and years, maybe?

And an MRI wouldn't see something like that?
Not sure it would be noticeable. If there was damage it might would be, but it's like one leg being just a little longer than the other. And in xrays and MRI's, you're not perfectly aligned.

Autistamatic makes a lot of sense and his condition could apply to your issue, perhaps. You mentioned that the pain is in the right side of your neck, and that you have tendonitis in your right hand. Has it been determined that your tendonitis is in fact, tendonitis, and not with the nerves of which are connected to both, your neck and your hand? If you dont mind me asking, do you ever experience pain or discomfort in your right shoulder, upper-back, elbow, forearm? I should go back and reread your initial post, I suppose.

I would try chiropractic, again. One, single adjustment, most often does not fix the problem. My neck was out of alignment, which put a great deal of pressure on the nerves in the area and other parts of my body. Additionally, I added stress with repetative motion, and caused my shoulder blade area to become knotted, which put additional pressure on my nerves. Once my neck was realigned, I began to heal everywhere else.

I hope you will find the answer to whatever it is that is causing your pain, and you can begin to heal, ASAP.

Might need a thicker or thinner pillow
Have you gone over the side effects of the drugs you take or did some research on what they do in your body?
It sounds like it's related to your spine... i would say pinched nerve but something like that would have resolved a long time ago.
You say it hurts on the right side...
Is it your muscles that hurt, on the right side is it upper neck near the base of your skull. mid. or lower? Is it closer to the bone? top, mid bottom? If you were dropped on the crown of your head, twice odds are it's twisted out of place and putting pressure on the nerves when you move your head to the side.
Did your chiropractor not check your nervous system?

and I was hit in the face/head countless times but never hard enough to cause apparent injury.

This reminds me of something i seen a few years ago. This university kid got hit in the head with a basketball. Moderate pass, not someone whipping it at her head and yet, she still got brain damage from it and it changed her life forever. Point being it doesn't have to be a hard impact or dramatic experience for it to cause damage.

Last edited:
Autistamatic makes a lot of sense and his condition could apply to your issue, perhaps. You mentioned that the pain is in the right side of your neck, and that you have tendonitis in your right hand. Has it been determined that your tendonitis is in fact, tendonitis, and not with the nerves of which are connected to both, your neck and your hand? If you dont mind me asking, do you ever experience pain or discomfort in your right shoulder, upper-back, elbow, forearm? I should go back and reread your initial post, I suppose.

Is there way to determine that it's tendonitis as a matter of fact? From what I remember, I described the problem and she told me what it was.

But the tendonitis/pain started five years ago and was caused by excessive tension during excessive amounts of piano practice. Does the fact that it occurred much more recently and with a clear cause disqualify it from having some relation to my neck?

I don't often experience pain in my should or upper-back, no. My elbow, forearm, wrist, and thumb all hurt if used too much. A compression glove allows me to play piano longer before that happens but everyday things hurt, as well.

Might need a thicker or thinner pillow
Have you gone over the side effects of the drugs you take or did some research on what they do in your body?
It sounds like it's related to your spine... i would say pinched nerve but something like that would have resolved a long time ago.
You say it hurts on the right side...
Is it your muscles that hurt, on the right side is it upper neck near the base of your skull. mid. or lower? Is it closer to the bone? top, mid bottom? If you were dropped on the crown of your head, twice odds are it's twisted out of place and putting pressure on the nerves when you move your head to the side.
Did your chiropractor not check your nervous system?

and I was hit in the face/head countless times but never hard enough to cause apparent injury.

This reminds me of something i seen a few years ago. This university kid got hit in the head with a basketball. Moderate pass, not someone whipping it at her head and yet, she still got brain damage from it and it changed her life forever. Point being it doesn't have to be a hard impact or dramatic experience for it to cause damage.

I've tried so many pillows, and the most recent one I got is one where you can remove and add the stuffing to choose your own thickness. I can't figure out if it should be thicker or thinner each night, because none of them are comfortable.

I have researched the drugs extensively, but also, I've only been on meds since May and since they take a long time to titrate and are added one at a time, I've only been on my current meds since August. And there haven't been any physical changes, that I've noticed, caused by any of them.

If you put your finger on your earlobe, move it back about an inch, and run it straight down your neck to your shoulder, that pretty much covers the area of pain, if I explained that how I'm imagining it...

What does it mean to check your nervous system? I'm guessing not, since I assume I would have known if she did.

She checked for areas that needed adjustment, attached an uncomfortable electrical stimulation machine to those areas for about fifteen minutes, then did the adjustments, which involved frequent use of a loud, clacking, hammer-like thing.

Is there way to determine that it's tendonitis as a matter of fact? From what I remember, I described the problem and she told me what it was.

But the tendonitis/pain started five years ago and was caused by excessive tension during excessive amounts of piano practice. Does the fact that it occurred much more recently and with a clear cause disqualify it from having some relation to my neck?

I don't often experience pain in my should or upper-back, no. My elbow, forearm, wrist, and thumb all hurt if used too much. A compression glove allows me to play piano longer before that happens but everyday things hurt, as well.

Yes, I believe an ultrasound would pick it up, as well as an MRI, but, they might not be necessary. Perhaps, do some research. If you play piano, regularly, it could be challenging to relieve pain in the areas you've mentioned. You would have to be willing to stop playing for an indefinite period of time, in order to give your wrist, etcetera, a chance to rest. As you may know, each time you play, you re-aggravate the tendons, and/ or, whatever is in distress. I had to stop swimming and paddling, for some time, but, my life did not depend on those activities. If your life depends on playing the piano, you may not have the ability to eliminate the pain, completely, at this juncture. Although, you could try using turmeric, both, topically and, take it in a warm drink, which is what I do for my hip, along with taking the amino acid that I had mentioned. Not together, however.

Perhaps, research both remedies. Off topic; after taking the DLPA for a few weeks, my social anxiety had diminished, significantly. I had not realized that DLPA can have that effect, but, upon looking into it, it turned out that it, indeed, does. It can also relieve symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder and depression, apparently. I don't suffer from depression, but, I do have social anxiety and OCD, and, my symptoms have subsided, significantly, since taking the DLPA. I'm not one to try and convince a person to try remedies, but, I do want to be of help to you, if I can, and these are things that I have had positive results with. I could give you the recipe to make golden paste and the drink. The drink tastes quite good, and it is warming and soothing. You can add your own spices, to taste. I would drink it, even if not utilizing it for medicinal purposes. Anyway, I would be happy to share the recipes if you'd like.

... then did the adjustments, which involved frequent use of a loud, clacking, hammer-like thing.
If you were to try chiropractic, again, you might have more success with one, who practices manipulation of the spine ( as opposed to the use of the clicking, 'hammer-like object' you've described), which can be more effective for reestablish range of motion. I would do some research on the various types of chiropractic adjustments.

Last edited:
Yes, I believe an ultrasound would pick it up, as well as an MRI, but, they might not be necessary. Perhaps, do some research. If you play piano, regularly, it could be challenging to relieve pain in the areas you've mentioned. You would have to be willing to stop playing for an indefinite period of time, in order to give your wrist, etcetera, a chance to rest. As you may know, each time you play, you re-aggravate the tendons, and/ or, whatever is in distress. I had to stop swimming and paddling, for some time, but, my life did not depend on those activities. If your life depends on playing the piano, you may not have the ability to eliminate the pain, completely, at this juncture. Although, you could try using turmeric, both, topically and, take it in a warm drink, which is what I do for my hip, along with taking the amino acid that I had mentioned. Not together, however.

Perhaps, research both remedies. Off topic; after taking the DLPA for a few weeks, my social anxiety had diminished, significantly. I had not realized that DLPA can have that effect, but, upon looking into it, it turned out that it, indeed, does. It can also relieve symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder and depression, apparently. I don't suffer from depression, but, I do have social anxiety and OCD, and, my symptoms have subsided, significantly, since taking the DLPA. I'm not one to try and convince a person to try remedies, but, I do want to be of help to you, if I can, and these are things that I have had positive results with. I could give you the recipe to make golden paste and the drink. The drink tastes quite good, and it is warming and soothing. You can add your own spices, to taste. I would drink it, even if not utilizing it for medicinal purposes. Anyway, I would be happy to share the recipes if you'd like.

You are so kind! I love you!!

I actually tried getting high from L-Phenylalanine back when I was trying to get high from everything! I don't remember if that even made sense...

Anyway, from the small amount of research I just did, it doesn't look like it would be a good idea to take DLPA with the medications I take, which are Lithium, Wellbutrin, Adderall, and Buspirione. I could be wrong, but it seems to say that DLPA acts on the same neurotransmitters as some of these and, therefore, would not be good.

Turmeric doesn't look like it would be a problem, though! I have drank tea that contained turmeric. Is that something intended to provide temporary relief, similar to advil? Or something else?

The pain with my hand isn't a major problem in my life. I've gotten used to doing most things with my left hand, I'm left-handed anyway, and it doesn't regularly hurt. So I wouldn't stop piano just for that to get better.

But if stopping piano was necessary for my neck, I would try that out. You're right that I can't do that now. I can reduce playing but not eliminate it. It's something to consider in the future, though, if nothing else is effective before then!

Thank you! I've come across a lot of interesting information, including unrelated but helpful things, while researching things you've said!

I appreciate you very much!

New Threads

Top Bottom