• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My Very First Game Project is....a text adventure, and Maddog loves it

UberScout

Please Don't Be Mad At Me 02/09/1996
V.I.P Member
It has finally begun.

After 18 years since i first spoke out loud the idea of an adventure game that takes place on Mars and features an astronaut trying to prove there are aliens on Mars while riding the bus to elementary school, I have realized my dream, and taken my first step to starting my dream career...

Ladies and gentlemen of autismforums, as of the end of August (and before Maddog's laptop went to the shop to have some bloatware culled from his HDD), I was allowed to install a programming language called Inform 7 on his computer, and within merely TWO DAYS (that is NOT a jape) I had a full-length text adventure %67 of the way finished!! That's right, peeps! Your old pal UberScout has written his first official game and it's almost done!!

Why, and how? Inform 7 makes use of the English language to process its code for text adventures (it is actually designed specifically for that purpose). Instead of "if this then that then while true do blah blah" you define a room with a table in it by saying:
"The Bedroom is a room. [Write your room description in quotes here] In the Bedroom is a table. On the table is a SEGA genesis and a television."

Once compiled, Inform 7 displays the description of said room followed by "You can see [insert objects typed into existence]".

Thanks to the way this works, I had the whole first act of the game finished, puzzles and key items and other characters at the ready!

The game is a text adventure called "Lucid And Dreaming"... Yeah i know, weird name. Kind just came up with it off the top of my head. But, it stars me, yes me, at the end of an argument that angers me to the point of performing my usual de-compression techniques discussed with my therapist, to which I sedate myself in an effort to prevent more outburst. Coincidentally, I fall asleep, only to find myself in a lucid dream I can't seem to wake from!

(Cue dramatic Marvel Spiderman narrator voice circa 1930s Warner Bros. TV show)

Is this the end of mighty UberScout? Will he wake from his unending coma? Will YOU, the player, find all 45 treasures hidden through this twisted and trippy landscape? That's for YOU to decide!

Right now, i have good news and somewhat bad news about the game, but don't worry, the bad news isn't the kind that disappoints. The good news is, yes it is true that the game is halfway done, and when it is finished I will add extra features so players can customize how the game looks and feels:

- Choose from fonts that make the game feel like an actual book or like it's being played on your old Commodore 64, as well as processing features set to mimic the disk drive lag you get from such computer systems (i.e. when you load a previous save and the floppy drive goes "VRRRT, VRRRT, BZ BZ VRRT")

- Recruitable NPCs that will carry items for you, push buttons and pull levers, send messages to other NPCs etc.

- Put on outfits that change character's opinions of you and even bar you from or allow you into new areas

- Tons of secret areas and descriptions to find and unlock; gotta read 'em all!!

- Forty-five crazy and bizarre treasures hidden throughout the adventure will dare you to shoot for a maximum score... Hmm, what happens if you beat the game with a score of 1,996 points? I guess you'll just have to find out :p

- Startling cameos by characters created and drawn by me and my little sister of course

- Dynamic dialogue system allows you to freely type recognizable words to elaborate to NPCs exactly what you need done or retrieved (Not yet implemented, still being researched)

- Customize the way Lucid!me carries items that have to be worn or held an unusual way, right down to which limb holds up what part of an accessory and in what direction (Not yet implemented, still being researched

The bad news is, like mentioned above, Maddog's PC has some bloatware that needs clearing and we're both bad at clearing disk space, so right now its in a shop where a trusted friend is carefully removing said bloatware. So right now I have zero access to Inform 7, which means unfortunately i cannot add anything to the game at this time.

But have hope! This was written by a hand far wiser than mine! Wait... Oops, wrong game.

COMING SOON TO IF ARCHIVE, TEXT FICTION (Google Play Store App) AND ARCHIVE.ORG

DID I MENTION
THAT THIS GAME
WILL BE
%100 FREE TO PLAY
FOREVER
AND EVER?

Sounds interesting, intriguing and the game title-perfect.

Who knew we had a video game inventor ☺

It has finally begun.

After 18 years since i first spoke out loud the idea of an adventure game that takes place on Mars and features an astronaut trying to prove there are aliens on Mars while riding the bus to elementary school, I have realized my dream, and taken my first step to starting my dream career...

Ladies and gentlemen of autismforums, as of the end of August (and before Maddog's laptop went to the shop to have some bloatware culled from his HDD), I was allowed to install a programming language called Inform 7 on his computer, and within merely TWO DAYS (that is NOT a jape) I had a full-length text adventure %67 of the way finished!! That's right, peeps! Your old pal UberScout has written his first official game and it's almost done!!

Why, and how? Inform 7 makes use of the English language to process its code for text adventures (it is actually designed specifically for that purpose). Instead of "if this then that then while true do blah blah" you define a room with a table in it by saying:
"The Bedroom is a room. [Write your room description in quotes here] In the Bedroom is a table. On the table is a SEGA genesis and a television."

Once compiled, Inform 7 displays the description of said room followed by "You can see [insert objects typed into existence]".

Thanks to the way this works, I had the whole first act of the game finished, puzzles and key items and other characters at the ready!

The game is a text adventure called "Lucid And Dreaming"... Yeah i know, weird name. Kind just came up with it off the top of my head. But, it stars me, yes me, at the end of an argument that angers me to the point of performing my usual de-compression techniques discussed with my therapist, to which I sedate myself in an effort to prevent more outburst. Coincidentally, I fall asleep, only to find myself in a lucid dream I can't seem to wake from!

(Cue dramatic Marvel Spiderman narrator voice circa 1930s Warner Bros. TV show)

Is this the end of mighty UberScout? Will he wake from his unending coma? Will YOU, the player, find all 45 treasures hidden through this twisted and trippy landscape? That's for YOU to decide!

Right now, i have good news and somewhat bad news about the game, but don't worry, the bad news isn't the kind that disappoints. The good news is, yes it is true that the game is halfway done, and when it is finished I will add extra features so players can customize how the game looks and feels:

- Choose from fonts that make the game feel like an actual book or like it's being played on your old Commodore 64, as well as processing features set to mimic the disk drive lag you get from such computer systems (i.e. when you load a previous save and the floppy drive goes "VRRRT, VRRRT, BZ BZ VRRT")

- Recruitable NPCs that will carry items for you, push buttons and pull levers, send messages to other NPCs etc.

- Put on outfits that change character's opinions of you and even bar you from or allow you into new areas

- Tons of secret areas and descriptions to find and unlock; gotta read 'em all!!

- Forty-five crazy and bizarre treasures hidden throughout the adventure will dare you to shoot for a maximum score... Hmm, what happens if you beat the game with a score of 1,996 points? I guess you'll just have to find out :p

- Startling cameos by characters created and drawn by me and my little sister of course

- Dynamic dialogue system allows you to freely type recognizable words to elaborate to NPCs exactly what you need done or retrieved (Not yet implemented, still being researched)

- Customize the way Lucid!me carries items that have to be worn or held an unusual way, right down to which limb holds up what part of an accessory and in what direction (Not yet implemented, still being researched

The bad news is, like mentioned above, Maddog's PC has some bloatware that needs clearing and we're both bad at clearing disk space, so right now its in a shop where a trusted friend is carefully removing said bloatware. So right now I have zero access to Inform 7, which means unfortunately i cannot add anything to the game at this time.

But have hope! This was written by a hand far wiser than mine! Wait... Oops, wrong game.

COMING SOON TO IF ARCHIVE, TEXT FICTION (Google Play Store App) AND ARCHIVE.ORG

DID I MENTION
THAT THIS GAME
WILL BE
%100 FREE TO PLAY
FOREVER
AND EVER?
Please, don't forget to let us know when it is finished (or at least Beta version), and how to access/download it. Thanks, sounds like fun.

Please, don't forget to let us know when it is finished (or at least Beta version), and how to access/download it. Thanks, sounds like fun.

Don't worry guys, the game will start out being accessible from my Google Drive, then once I publish it to TextFiction, and they accept it, there will be an Android version (although you will need the Text Fiction app to play it). After that I will have it up on MediaFire in case there happens to be something wrong with the Google Drive.

Right now I would consider the game's status to be "post-pre-alpha" right in between pre-alpha and beta. There is still the matter of the creation of items, i also plan to create a magic system similar to that of Infocom's Enchanter series.

New Threads

Top Bottom