• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My "vac" obsession

Sashi

Years before I was diagnosed with Asperger's, I possessed a "herd" of vacuums.

It started with the purchase of a full-sized vac after moving into a new apartment. It was the best apartment I ever lived in and I wanted to keep it "spic and span". I didn't buy a regular run-of-the-mill vac. It appealed to the kid in me and was like playing with a toy. Its accessories were fun to play around with. I know it sounds strange, but aspies can be strangely interesting.

I then bought a hand vac that attracted the kid in me. Down the road, I got a stick vac that had the same attraction. They were more like "gadgets" than vacs to me. Back then, one of my favorite places to shop was "As Seen On TV", the shopping mecca for gadgets.

I went so far as to purchase a robot vac to vacuum the carpet and a robot vac to mop the floor. I don't recommend these items though. My vac would do what it was made to do but it was often interrupted when it would invariably get stuck under the recliner and other spots. I got tired of rescuing them and later chunked them.

My obsession faded when I moved back to my home state a few years ago. I didn't have room at my Mom's house for my "vac" herd. I got rid of most of them except for a couple of them that were my top favorites.

Now with that obsession being history, vaccuuming isn't as much fun as it used to be.

I smile when I hear stories about people with their unusual obsessions. I was obsessed with computer games just like a lot of kids are. To have an interest in hoovers, streetlights or washing machines shows to me a creative mind that should be celebrated.

So, you have to tell us.

Shark or Dyson? :p

If you were asking me I'd have to pick the Henry range for sure!

henry-hoover_01.jpg

Sounds fun! I got a carpet cleaner many months ago and was really excited about it.....I've only used it once! I do that often..... get some new device and then get fed up with it, wonder why I don't know better by now, and then look at it in the closet. Usually it's connected to whatever my current obsessive topic is and I don't think it through. For example, in June I decided to obsess about birds. I read a bunch of books, researched, set up bird feeders and a bird house on my back porch.....was about to get a bird bath so my new friends could be really comfortable. What I didn't realize is that living in a city, I quickly became the pigeons favorite place in town. It got to the point where at least 50 were waiting and cooing outside my window every morning. I have nothing against pigeons but it was more than I was prepared for!!!

Hoover wind tunnel, so loud that I wear construction headphones when I use it. A good vacuum for pet hair.

DSC_0840.JPG

I got a taste of vacuums just recently. I bought a Kirby 26 years ago and it finally broke. It was making a bad noise and had hardly any vacuum. This is my chance. I have always wanted to take it apart, but of course my wife would not approve of that. Since it was 7 degrees outside and only slightly warmer in the shop, I set up the old card table in my office. It was not easy to take apart because of tight, rusty bolts. I had to use a impact tool to get them loose. After I got it apart I found a broken fan blade. Much to my surprise, there is a Kirby service center in Nampa. I went there, got a fan kit, went home and put it back together. It works great. My wife is happy because her vacuum is fixed and I am happy because I had fun fixing it.

Last edited:
i have seen quite a few autists with hoover obsessions over the years,although im not one of them as i cannot cope with their noise so my staff make me put my ear defenders on,go in the lounge then shut all the doors in between so they can hoover my bedroom,they brush and mop the rest of the apartment.

however,i do love dyson,and i had wanted one when i moved into my apartment last january,my dad said no and he bought me a vax one that has a cylinder thing so that you can easily remove the dirt and its good i just love the look of the dysons and the way they move,not that i can hoover but i would like to make it as easy as possible for whoever does it.

New Threads

Top Bottom