• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My upload speed with broadband is crap...

Lemon Zing

1 MBPS? Really?

I cannot get fibre in my area. Should have just stuck to my mobile data plan, but it's tediously slow indoors.

What can I do to 'cheat my way' into gaining a better speed?

I had ExpressVPN before and found my speed was unusually quicker. Typically, I never get a fast speed because my connection isn't over fibre. But it's not very mobile friendly. Disconnects way too often.

I use a free VPN on my phone. Thunder VPN. Tried other ones as well. When I connect to any county, it's okay for a minute, then disconnects me completely.

Way too many variables to really comment on troubleshooting broadband connections. Though here's a site with some of the basics to consider. Of course you have to ignore any reference to providers as they are all in the US and not in the UK.

https://www.usnews.com/360-reviews/services/internet-providers/ways-to-increase-internet-speed

A real simple way to deduce certain problems is to connect to Ethernet if you can, just to see how fast it is relative to your wireless signal. Keeping in mind that a wired signal has far fewer problems in comparison. Especially if you live in an area saturated with wireless signals with a fiber optics network as I do. Where running wireless gets tougher every year.

Another thing you can do regarding troubleshooting is to download a freeware Wifi-Analyzer program that allows you to move and adjust your wireless router and network adapters to see whether it enhances your signal in real time. Where you adjust antennas one way and your signal increases. Move it another way and it may degrade. I found this one to be helpful in terms of wireless, though I generally stick to using Ethernet almost exclusively. Much better signal and 100% consistent in comparison.

Apart from a neighbor's wireless possibly interfering with your own, it's also possible that you may have dense metal objects located between a router and a network adapter. That will certainly attenuate a wireless signal. Something to check as well using a WiFi analyzer program. Ideally you want your router, modem and network adapter to be within proximity of one another, separated by no more than one wall.

You should also be able to find this program in the Microsoft Store. I've used it in the past and liked it.

WiFi Analyzer — Matt Hafner

With basic cable it would be unreasonable to expect to do much of anything that would raise your connection to that of a fiber optics network, that likely runs ten to twenty times faster.

As for troubleshooting your modem, your ISP may have something online to test it. If not, well...it would really take a service call or for you to replace the modem if it was the source of a problem. With my ISP I can always take hardware in and have it replaced with no effort.

Unfortunately most broadband users aren't likely to have a clue as to how many things can impede their wireless connection. There's really a lot more to it than simply setting it up and having it "work".

Last edited:
Are there multiple internet providers where you live? If so, you could check your options and see if there are any plans with better speeds.

I signed a contract for 18 months, though. They called me the other day. But unfortunately, fibre isn't available in my area yet.

I signed a contract for 18 months, though. They called me the other day. But unfortunately, fibre isn't available in my area yet.

Unfortunately fiber optics availability can make all the difference in the world. It's almost absurd under the circumstances where I live. No telling whether one is getting completely ripped off by their ISP or a customer making off like a bandit.

Example: My cousin and I have the same provider. However my location across town has a fiber optic network and her's does not. The best Ethernet connection she can muster is around 90Mbps. Wireless much less. The best Ethernet connection I get is consistently around 466Mbps. We both pay for a plan allowing up to 100Mbps. (oops) However because she deals directly with our provider as a homeowner, she pays considerably more than I do. My apartment complex negotiated a separate agreement with the provider for both Internet and cable tv. Go figure!

Then again what she pays for a mortgage is about half of what I pay for rent. o_O

Last edited:
Even my mobile data is slightly faster indoors. Outside, I can get up to 4 MBPS. But since I have data plans, I have to watch with what I am doing. :D

Even my mobile data is slightly faster indoors. Outside, I can get up to 4 MBPS. But since I have data plans, I have to watch with what I am doing. :D

Data plans. Yeah. That's an important point. :eek:

Mine's unlimited...but then it doesn't involve a cellphone. My cousin has both a cellphone and a separate data plan with the same ISP. A gigabyte of cellphone transfers for $15. She's pretty good at coming under a gig each month...but it still looks frustrating to me. Of course when she accesses her own network through her router, that doesn't count as "data". And her cellphone works better wirelessly at 5.0Ghz than her laptop's network adapter. Go figure. :confused:

Last edited:
If I had known TalkTalk's broadband was so slow, I wouldn't have signed up. I can just put my phone at a window with Giffgaff, and use the hotspot to tether to other devices, such as a secondary phone. It may still be slow, but it's slightly quicker than my broadband, which I don't understand, to be honest.

New Threads

Top Bottom