• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My Spaceship Knows Which Way to Go: How David Bowie helped my autistic son become himself

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me. Due to the article's length, I cannot get it all on the page. As such, please click the 'Full Article' link at the bottom of the page to read in full)

Natalie Matthews-Ramo

When my son Benj was a small boy of 4 and 5 with virtually no original language and no ability or desire to play in conventional ways, he and I connected through music. I’d put on “Rebel Rebel,” or “Suffragette City,” or “Changes,” and he’d snap to attention, break into a smile, and lustily sing along, every word and note perfect. He’d even dance, awkwardly but unabashedly, and while he was usually resistant to touch, he’d let me hold his hands while we moved together. When I’d put on “Space Oddity,” he’d grow quiet and transfixed, humming, singing quietly, gazing at the speakers from which the music came.

Because of his severe fine motor delays, we couldn’t start Benj on an instrument till he was 6½, when he began taking classical guitar lessons. He quickly became a proficient guitarist and by age 10 was singing to his own accompaniment. His favorite songs were still “Changes” and “Space Oddity.” But even as Benj’s singing talent became more and more apparent, he never felt comfortable displaying it in public. In school talent shows, he needed a school psychologist next to him to calm his nerves, and he only played classical pieces, never sang. Any applause rattled him, both because he had sound sensitivity and because he hated to, as he put it, “stand out.” At home, I sometimes stood listening to him through the closed door of his room belting out “Changes” in his little husky voice. It was fascinating and heart-wrenching: Would he ever find his voice out in the world? But it was also very, very wonderful. He was, in this unlikeliest of forms, already working through what he most needed to learn: how to become comfortable with change, with taking risks, with opening himself to the unexpected.

High school was a time of enormous growth for Benj, and he blossomed in ways we could never have predicted. Music was central to this development. When he was almost 16 years old, Benj applied and was admitted to a summer independence sleepaway camp for autistic teens.
For the program’s scholarship competition, he made a video of himself playing guitar and singing a song he wrote to the tune of the Jackson 5’s “ABC.” It was the first time he’d ever felt comfortable singing full out, for an audience, without me singing along. It was also one of the first times I think Benj recognized himself overcoming his limitations. That moment sparked a small revolution in his self-perception, a breakthrough by which he consciously measured his progress, as an autistic person, into the world of his own humanity.

In early March 2017, as his 18th birthday approached, I had my last meeting about Benj with the Department of Special Education in New York City. All rejoiced in his social-emotional growth, acceptances to many excellent colleges and universities, and most of all, the fact that he was now a happy, loving, open-hearted boy with interests and passions and a group of supportive friends. That night, Benj told me that he’d decided to play and sing “Space Oddity” in his last school talent show before his June graduation. His reasons: “The song gives me a feeling of sublimity, I know what it feels like to be odd, I’m ready to sing and not just play guitar for my school, and I want to do a tribute to David Bowie.” I thought to myself, I’m going to have to bring a lot of Kleenex to that talent show! A desire to pay tribute to someone who’d died, a yearning for transcendence, a sense of self-aware solidarity with outsiders and oddballs, a readiness to stretch outside his comfort zone and overcome a long-standing fear: all this spoke to the mature, self-reflective, empathetic young adult Benj had become.

The wish to honor Bowie especially touched me. Bowie’s death a year earlier had hit us both hard. We’d played his music again, over and over, watched videos together (the one of Bowie doing “Little Drummer Boy” with Bing Crosby especially resonated), read the obituaries and talked about them. Benj had rushed to comfort me when I got teary on first hearing the news, thrown a consoling arm around my shoulder when I choked up describing how I first fell in love with Bowie in middle school, and insisted that we start singing Bowie’s music again.

As Benj rehearsed over the next month, he showed me the song and the singer in a new light. Musically gifted Benj pointed out intricacies of the song’s composition, arrangement, and production. The song’s meaning, too, deepened. Under that microscope of attention, the lyrics appeared as evocations of situations we’d faced as parent and child: a tension between the comfort of safety and the need for stretching and daring, preparing to take on challenges, the struggle for freedom and independence, the bleak truths of isolation. I could feel many strands of life coming together: Benj as a little boy, oblivious, closed-off, and musical; Benj growing up, different, joyful, and newly self-aware. I thought of myself and the run of life marked out by Bowie’s career and death. How strange and almost inexplicable that my humming, bounded son would have met his inspiration in that wild figure out of my youth!

Growing up on the Upper West Side in the 1970s and ’80s, as a theater girl, I’d considered David Bowie the epitome of cool: glamorous and dangerous. I’d tacked postcards of the cigarette-smoking, staggeringly beautiful rock star to my bulletin board above the white desk where I did my math homework. I played his albums over and over on my record player. His songs were the soundtrack for my kissing boys at smoky parties. I danced exuberantly with friends at his concerts. Bowie was a messenger from an alluring, alien dimension who broke open and contradicted our upright, ordinary world. But for Benj, it wasn’t about Bowie’s glamour or beauty or decadence; it was about the essential message of his career and life: be true to yourself, forge your own unique identity, be confident in your own beautiful uniqueness, seek sublimity and ecstatic transport.

Full Article: https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/01/how-david-bowie-helped-my-autistic-son-become-himself.html

New Threads

Top Bottom