• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My School's Acknowledgment of Autism Acceptance Month

fern_77

V.I.P Member
a few weeks ago i sent an email to my school's assistant principal asking if we could wear red on april first for autism acceptance month. three days ago the principal sent an email that can be seen below. today i am wearing a red and black plaid dress for autism acceptance month, and lots of other high school students and staff are wearing red too! also, i have started making a google slide presentation that i am going to present to the health and p.e. classes so that they can learn more about autism (the reason i am presenting it to the health and p.e. classes is because autism is kind of a health related thing because it is a neurological disability and also because in my highschool 9th and 11th graders have health and 10th and 12th graders have p.e.)
Screenshot 2022-04-01 1.58.27 PM.png

Good going! I hope you will report how your presentations went. I was in high school in the '60s when autism was rarely diagnosed and was intelligent enough that people thought I was normal. That really hurt because I felt socially restricted and isolated, and my peers thought it was a choice though I desired connection. I recognize now that there were girls attempting to get my attention, but I couldn't see it at the time. Being a social imbecile, I could have used a wingman to guide me through the social during that developmentally important time.

Good going! I hope you will report how your presentations went. I was in high school in the '60s when autism was rarely diagnosed and was intelligent enough that people thought I was normal. That really hurt because I felt socially restricted and isolated, and my peers thought it was a choice though I desired connection. I recognize now that there were girls attempting to get my attention, but I couldn't see it at the time. Being a social imbecile, I could have used a wingman to guide me through the social during that developmentally important time.

i will make a post about the presentations after i have done all of them. i'm sorry that you struggled to connect to people back then. i hope you feel less lonely now ^w^

Here they call it autism acceptance week, which seems more appropriate then month.

i see. if you don't mind me asking, why do you think week seems more appropriate than month
There is only 12 months a year, and i don't think autism is one of the most important 12 things. If we have an acceptance month for something every month no one is going to pay attention it anymore, it just becomes the background of regular life. I doubt that most people who know it's autism acceptance month pay attention to it for more than a couple days, and after a week they probably forgot about it all together anyway, so might as well just make it a week to begin with.

New Threads

Top Bottom