• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My problems with cleaning and losing things

FlowerFlo

Not sure if this is related to my aspergers thats why i am posting this here.
I love cleaning and organizing my stuff. But i need routine, even in my stuff and if i move things around (too much), i can't remember where it goes or it gets lost. I tried multiple systems but it gets messy very fast again and/or things get lost. And there is my second problem.If something gets messy, i don't simply put it away but i look for a better way to organize said thing and reorganize it. Is there something which could help me to keep track of my things or stop me from reorganizing everything once a week?

I feel your pain with organizing. It's actually easier when you are young and don't have too much stuff. One of my problems is starting a new organizing system and then changing my mind half way thru, having come up with a microscopically 'better' system.

I have never really slayed that dragon, but one piece of advice I have is always try to complete what you start and not change part way thru. In the long run it will make usuable systems that may suffice for years, and you can get some satisfaction at having finished a project.

It's a similar story with cleaning, though it is a little easier since it is a little more straight forward. I have always leaned towards the 'clean freak' side. With age the time of doing your whole house/apartment at one go is gone. I have had some success by instead focusing on one room at a time, and staying there till it is totally done. That is something you can do part time in a day or two. I have also learned not every one is the same in that respect and within a family or living with friends and it is useful to learn to tolerate the other's habits and not make it a friction point. If something is really bad, like the thing growing in the refridgerator or just super annoying like pretzel crumbs on the floor and sofa, just clean it up yourself with a good attitude or approach it with them humorously. If they get mad at you throwing out there thing growing in the refrigerator you at least have very clear grounds for doing so, ie. not wishing to start the next pandemic etc. ;)

The only way I have kept from losing things is to always put them in particular locations. But then, If they are not there I get totally discombobulated. My spouse, when I ask her, tells me: "What do you think a uterus is, a tracking device?"

On our boat we keep a spreadsheet so we can find things in the lockers.

Keeping mess down is really important so we try to keep only what is actually used and needed. And always put things back where it goes immediately after using the item.

It IS a pain and takes time. But we have gotten used to building in time to put things away as part of project. It took us a good solid year of practicing this but once you get down it becomes second nature.

I totally agree with Gerald Wilgus on having a place for everything. The main issue is you then have to always put things back where they belong. Resist the impulse to just set it down somewhere to put away later. Then they are always there when you want them.

As far as finding things goes, I must have the right Finder's Gene, as I am absolutely fabulous. I know where everything belongs and also tend to remember where I have seen everything in passing for months, even years. If that doesn't work I can do very thorough searches and am persistent. You also can do things like walk backwards in time (figuratively) in your own mind or walk the other person backwards until the point they last saw the thing.

Its a very valuable skill in my house as both my wife and daughter are clutter queens. And something in how there brain works makes them unable to 'see' the things they search for unless it is exactly where they expect it to be. As an example, my wife usually puts her glasses in the same spot on the end table. When she goes to pick them up and they are there, fine. But if they are sitting somewhere different, on the same end table, she will be unable to find them. As a result I am often called in, like superfinderman, to locate the missing item. But I don't mind. In a way it helps justify my existance and is marriage security. ;)

I dare you to top that. Perfect woman is one who can find missing things.

New Threads

Top Bottom