• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My nephew autism assignment

Funny?

Hey I’m not sure exactly what I’m asking, but my 3 and a half year old nephew as some developmental and health issues. He was diagnosed with speech apraxia and some mild delays in his motor skills, he’s been getting founding for speech therapy and OT and he did made a big progress. When he was 2 his pediatrician at that time suggested maybe to go through an autism assignment (which is parents took as a shock and quickly changed pediatricians). 6 months ago his mum took him to developmental pediatrician to assess his development. The developmental pediatrician used Griffiths Childhood Mental Development Scales for his age group, and his overall score was 29 months (which the Language and Communication was the lowest score of 23 months). In the report the D.pediatrician said that he has some autistic traits (variable eye contact, high pain tolerance, toe walking observed, food preferences and unconsciously walking on peers and preschool) but is not enough for diagnosis (because “he has made significant progress in the last six months, and this is another reason to be cautious in a diagnosis at this point”) to be assessed again in 6 months time.
My question is what are the chances that he is not on the spectrum?

It's sounding like there's a fair chance that he is on the spectrum, time will tell for sure.

Getting a diagnosis doesn't really "do" anything. It might be more beneficial if the parents read a little about autism and learn how to best help their child.

welcome to af.png

If he is autistic, it sounds like he is receiving effective help for his more pronounced co-morbid conditions, which is a good thing. Not all medical people recognize autism that has minimal co-morbids [ASD1], which is a bad thing.

New Threads

Top Bottom