• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My mom is afraid of me being independent

oregano

So buzz off!
V.I.P Member
The more I think about my mom's objections to the Jefferson move, the more I think it essentially boils down to one thing:

She won't have her little baby around anymore.

For most of my life I have lived either in my parents house or on property controlled by either them or my mom's parents. For a few years I lived in apartments, but I still depended greatly on my parents for financial support. Even then they had severe objections to me moving out of their house at all. And even then the farthest I was from their home was like 110 miles.

My land is something like 260 miles away from here, and a good chunk of the winter it is very difficult to get there from here due to weather. For most of my adult life I was constantly asking my mom for money because I kept running out. I had a savings account on occasion, but it only held a couple hundred bucks most of the time. I haven't asked my mom for money in any way for a couple years, and have built up several thousand dollars in savings.

Now that I really will be truly independent, she can't handle it. Her family is all gone except for a couple distant relatives. She tried getting into charity work but the plague squashed that. She sits at home and watches daytime "trash talk" TV. She can't get around much anymore, and her memory is going. She has a long term care plan but she's not sure if it's reliable.

I really don't have the ability to care for a dependent elderly parent. She apparently thinks she will be stuck in assisted living and abandoned to the plague and sadistic nurses. She wants a codependent relationship with me in her old age it seems, and can't handle me being independent and alone.

She was always told that I would always be dependent on her and never be able to do simple things like pay bills or cook food. She has always been able to keep me near her, now she can't. I know that I will do what is right for me, but it is still sad watching her think of that tiny emaciated baby in the neonatal ICU struggling to breathe, and being unable to reconcile that with a grown, mature 46 year old man.

That has to be tough Oregano, both for you and your Mom. Can you make some sort of arrangement with a neighbour or someone nearby or a friend to check on her on occasion? Make sure she's allright, after you move? That would put your mind at ease if there was someone there for her.

That's something I did, when my Mother was diagnosed with alzheimer's. Her closest friend checked on her regularly to see that she was doing all right. Eventually though, all of us chipped in for a part time caregiver. After several of us pinch hit over the years. When it became obvious she needed full-time caregiving she went to a care home near several family members who saw her everyday.

Last edited:
My aunt and uncle live on the property too, and they are in pretty good shape and help out. My aunt works from home due to covid and she has her workspace set up in my dad's former home office (he died years ago) so she sees my mom almost daily. Also this little in-law-type unit I live in will be vacant after I move so a caregiver could live here. Eventually mom would need full time care and she expects to die soon after moving into a nursing home because of covid, even though such a move would be years in the future.

Bottom line, she is terrified of being alone and dying alone and even worse me dying first and leaving her all alone. Most of her what-if's revolve around a theme of me getting hurt and her being unable to help and me dying all alone and then she has to bury me and somehow go on without her precious baby. She doesn't realize that such a scenario could happen closer to home as well. She also doesn't realize that she can not take care of me anymore due to her age and frailty. I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself but she has never thought so.

If feels if the parents time trap you in a dependent stage to validate their worth to you. My mom has gone on to say, l am still your mother but those words mean nothing to me. She has abandon me emotionally most of her life. And l am over it. Just don't have much feelings about it. But you seem to step back and accept responsibilty for your mom. That's remarkable.

I mean if you mom supported all your life, it would seem only fair that you support them when they need it some years late in their life, I think is not going to be more years than they gave to you though.
At least this is what i think. And in the event they pass away, you will be left with the satisfaction to think you cared etc and gave good.

I think I have said before on this board that not only do I expect the disruptions started by covid to get far worse, but I have decided that since I cannot work at a standard job that I want to live off the land instead. I simply don't want to be stuck here without food and facing riots and looting-I noted that the pharmacies near my home were looted during the Floyd riots, and I'm pretty far out in the suburbs. My mom is 75 and has lived in the Sacramento area all her life and cannot change, but I want to be as little of a burden-or a dependent-on society as possible. I love her but have to live my own life.

New Threads

Top Bottom