• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Resource icon

My life-changing autism diagnosis 2021-06-22

Alexej

V.I.P Member
Alexej submitted a new resource:

My life-changing autism diagnosis - Interview with a woman on her diagnosis

My life-changing autism diagnosis

As a woman with autism you're likely to receive a diagnosis much later in life than if you are a man with the condition. Why is that and what impact does a late diagnosis have? Kim Chakanetsa is joined by two autistic women who are speaking up about their experience of the condition and seeking to help others.

Morénike Giwa Onaiwu is part of the Autism Women's Network in US. She says many of her early symptoms of autism were dismissed or ignored...

Read more about this resource...

Indeed, I was diagnosed just coming up to 50 and as a child, it was put down to deep shyness that I would grow out of, but, it got worse and so, without knowing what on earth was going on, spent my entire time, battling with myself; just to try and function and that was hard going and therefore, never knew myself.

Indeed, I was diagnosed just coming up to 50 and as a child, it was put down to deep shyness that I would grow out of, but, it got worse and so, without knowing what on earth was going on, spent my entire time, battling with myself; just to try and function and that was hard going and therefore, never knew myself.
I can definitely relate.

I can definitely relate.

This is very difficult. I am nearly 42, and just having the epiphany now. How do you shed all those years of who you were and start living life in an entirely new way? This is very confusing. Hopeful, liberating, terrifying, and really really really confusing. When I take off the mask, I have no idea what is underneath.

]To me knowledge is more important than any diagnosis, figured it out for myself in my mid fifties. I am aware it effected my life, but also see in many ways was a gift that enriched my life.

New Threads

Top Bottom