• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My journey through pain. What do you do about it?

Misery

Amalga Heart
V.I.P Member
So, something I've been battling for quite awhile now is chronic pain. A long time problem, really. Nerve and tendon issues and even some arthritis in my neck (and I'm waaaaayyyyyyy too young for that).

Much of the time, it takes the form of arm or neck pain. Shooting or travelling pain (due to the nerve thing). It can also form a sort of non-headache. Where it feels like one, but it's not REALLY a headache, because the actual source of the pain is right at the back of my neck. My therapist explained to me how it works. Must say, I didnt entirely understand.

The worst though is what I call a "lockup". It can happen in my lower back, or in my neck. Something just goes wrong, and suddenly, I cant really twist/turn. The level of pain from trying to do so is just too ridiculous. I remember the very first time it happened, I ended up on the floor. Musta laid there for like 20 minutes... couldnt get up. Fortunately a fall like that hasnt happened again since, but usually if my back locks up like that it does become hard to walk. Or sit... or lie down...

To deal with this, there were pain meds.

I used to take Advil (and other pain meds of that level). What was the max dosage of those things? Somewhere between 4-6 pills at once. It did nothing. NOTHING. It simply doesnt work on that type of pain.

Was soon put on Valium for a time. Way stronger. But not enough.

Then I was told about Prednesone. I just call those "nightmare pills". And I should have realized it was a bad idea... the description I was given was "Well you know Vicodin? One of those is like multiple Valium. And one of THESE is like multiple Vicodin". That should have been a red flag, but it's hard to spot red flags when everything freaking hurts.

I think that was honestly the worst thing I've ever been through. I had never known what "paradoxical insomnia" meant. If only I could have stayed ignorant. Among other things it did. That lasted for about a month. I could barely function until the event finally ended.

Now, I am on cyclobenzaprine and Tramadol. Cyclothingie is something I take daily. Tramadol is much stronger and only used when I feel I really need it. Risk of addiction, you see, so you gotta be careful. Fortunately, I use it less and less over time, so that's good at least. Pretty rare that I take one now, but I'm glad it's there for when I do need it. But still, I hate taking pills. And sometimes even that isnt quite enough. One way or another though they are very strong meds. Max dose, according to my doctor, is 2 of each at once. Gotta say, I dont recommend that. You could knock over an elephant with that. After nearly falling asleep on my feet once (apparently that's possible) well... yeah, didnt do THAT again.

Strong as those are though, sometimes they still just dont work.

Today is one of those days. Well, not a "lockup" day, just an "aaarrrrgggghhh this is driving me up the wall" sort of thing. Took the blasted pills but they dont feel like doing anything today (bah).

When it gets like this, I tend to have some trouble functioning. It's not a matter of "OMG IT HURTS SO MUCH" it's a matter of it being super distracting. It's hard to focus on anything, and it then tends to set off my usual sensory issues. So that doesnt help. And the sensory stuff then sets off the anxiety, and that helps even less!

I'm dealing with it a little better right now... I think it's because I've been forcing myself to engage with my various hobbies despite it being there. That does seem to help.

But how about you guys? How do you you deal with pain? Can you handle it, or does it become overwhelming? Have you found anything you can do to lessen it? What does it do as far as sensory stuff for you? I tend to think that alot of people on the spectrum likely have trouble with it, but... that's merely an assumption. Could be wrong.

Jeez, u do have it bad. I have bouts of whatever, but tubs of hot water, good masseuse, 2 glasses of wine oblivate it. Or being with a super cool guy friend, and l can't even remember my name after that.

Hey hang in there. Keep coming here to unload, or visit foreign countries, they are way ahead the US in treatment options, no silly bureaucracy rules to jump thru.

I have chronic pain, but I have good days and bad days. I have sciatica, recurring tendonitis, scar tissue from bursitis in my right shoulder and pretty much permanent RSI from hardcore gaming in my younger years. I have tension headaches that last for weeks at a time and pain in my knees that comes and goes. Apart from that I have IBS which comes with some pretty painful attacks and other messy symptoms. Honestly, I just take each day as it comes. I don't use a lot of pain medication, I instead choose to do my daily business until the pain becomes unbearable and then I stop. I only use pain meds when I'm not doing anything, so I won't accidentally do more than I should. I used to let my pain dictate what my day looks like, but these days I turn it around and try to go about my business as much as possible until it becomes too hard.

Jeez, u do have it bad. I have bouts of whatever, but tubs of hot water, good masseuse, 2 glasses of wine oblivate it. Or being with a super cool guy friend, and l can't even remember my name after that.

Hey hang in there. Keep coming here to unload, or visit foreign countries, they are way ahead the US in treatment options, no silly bureaucracy rules to jump thru.

Havent had much trouble when it comes to getting treated... family tends to be good at "getting things done", to put it mildly. Been through a barrage of rather annoying tests from a variety of doctors to get this crap figured out. Incidentally, getting an MRI is basically the most boring thing ever. And the most annoying. "Hey, you moved your tongue two millimeters to the left, dont do that, that's another 5 hours in the tube for you!" I swear that seems like a tech that isnt really ready yet.

Physical therapy helps alot though (the point of all those tests). Even if it hurts like heck sometimes.

I have chronic pain, but I have good days and bad days. I have sciatica, recurring tendonitis, scar tissue from bursitis in my right shoulder and pretty much permanent RSI from hardcore gaming in my younger years. I have tension headaches that last for weeks at a time and pain in my knees that comes and goes. Apart from that I have IBS which comes with some pretty painful attacks and other messy symptoms. Honestly, I just take each day as it comes. I don't use a lot of pain medication, I instead choose to do my daily business until the pain becomes unbearable and then I stop. I only use pain meds when I'm not doing anything, so I won't accidentally do more than I should. I used to let my pain dictate what my day looks like, but these days I turn it around and try to go about my business as much as possible until it becomes too hard.

Oh geez, gaming-related RSI. Have had that. I got like, super into Minecraft when that came out originally (still am really). But overdoing it caused my arm to flare up for the first time. It got bad. It stayed bad. Period of about a year where I could barely use the computer mouse. I ended up coming up with the world's worst FPS controller scheme to FORCE that game to work with one via mouse emulation.

But yeah, RSI is super frustrating, isnt it? It just gets in the way of all sorts of stuff. Have you found anything that works on it?

What is bursitis? I've never heard of that. Just the word sounds bad enough by itself.

All in all your situation sounds quite a bit worse than mine. Hang in there!

Sometimes it's overwhelming, I have a tendency to ignore it until it becomes unworkable even unbearable. Then I sleep, take warm baths, attempt to calm down my hyperactivity, drink anti-inflammatory teas. It's rheumatoid arthritis. The more exercise I do, the more I remain occupied, the less I have to deal with it or consider it.

It's not something I like to think about, as it's progressive, and I sometimes have flares. Pain in general, is something I slowly adapt to. With each instance, it seems I can handle more given the time. I don't take much of anything but OTC's on occasion if it's really bad, and tailor my diet to an anti-inflammatory one. But I know from watching a parent's progression that it will run it's course, and I'll become over the years less able than I was.

I'm sorry to hear about yours Misery, you seem far too young for this to have happened so soon. Somehow autism requires us to fight far more battles than others. It's just occurred to me that when I cycle, alone, I feel no pain. I wonder, are there instances when you do not?

For many types of chronic pain, regular, mild to moderate exercise is quite beneficial, backing off a bit during flares. Water exercise is low impact and warm-water (93 degrees) is very soothing.

Chronic pain is very fatiguing, as well as having the ability to interfere with sleep. You should cut back on commitments rather than doubling down on them, during the worst pain. Also, knowing that you have RSI-caused pain but not modifying the RSI activity, is foolish. At a minimum, learn about ergonomics and look into alternate input devices (mice, trackpads, etc.)

Medication, actually, should not be the first line of defense in chronic pain. I have a large tool bag of techniques, from icing, heating, bandaging, meditation, massage, jacuzzi, to mild analgesics and a back up supply (hoard) of narcotics from my last surgery or broken bone.

That's a lot, sheesh. I can't even imagine an awful chronic pain like that.

The only thing comparable to your pain would be that one instance when I was about 11 and began growing too fast - I was already a tall kid but then I could grow even around 15 cm per year (the average is around 6 cm or so), although it didn't deter me from jumping all over the place (I loved jumping over anything and everything, especially if I could somersault in the process). It upstarted my problems with knees - not only did I get typical growth pains, but my knees also got overloaded due to the growth and excessive exercise. These two things came together to form something quite awful, I don't really know the English name of the syndrome though. At first, it would hurt at times, then I started having problems with using stairs, then walking in general, then even soft touch on my knees would be painful. We also had a volleyball zealot for a teacher that would make us 'play with sacrifice' by falling on our knees and she didn't believe me for a moment that I had any kind of pains in my knees because 'you girls always try to avoid training!'. I think it may be called Osgood-Schlatter disease but I'm rather foggy on the details - that time was just one big painful trip.

It was two years before I was diagnosed (since it's 'so uncommon for girls to get it' that they didn't even consider it before) with the syndrome and informed that I shouldn't have been training during that time at all. I received immediate notice for the zealous teacher to not let me do even the easiest exercises and even to avoid walking. I got some meds and initially been put to bedrest. It got better with time but it still hurt well into my 15th year. My knees are better but still feel brittle and hurt at times for no reason. When I imagine this pain could have lasted till now, I just get physically ill.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this pain on a daily basis.

Last edited:
I also have degenerative neuro-musculo-skeletal issues, with sports injuries included. Pain is a constant companion for me, I never really get much of a break from it. I've found yoga helps me be able to function in a very physically-demanding job, as does the Anti-inflammatory diet. I'm too sensitive to medications to do any pain relievers, but I drink a turmeric tea twice a day and that helps tremendously! Massages are great, hot tubs/showers help soothe tight muscles, and lots of sports rubs. Most days I just have to push through the pain, and hope its better in the morning. I've learned to dissociate from the pain fairly well, enough to at least enjoy some physical activity again. As stated in other posts, regular light exercise works wonders! The more you stay still, the more everything locks up.

Chronic pain is the worst, but it looks like there are a lot of us dealing with it. You aren't alone in your pain.

New Threads

Top Bottom