• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My hubris got the better of me

Alaric593

9 months in to the birth of my son and I can unequivocally say that I sorely overestimated how much energy I had to, and how much energy a second child would take out of me at my age now that he's crawling.

Holy hell everyday is I'm Warden Norton from Shawshank trying to stay ahead of the inevitable prison break. The kid doesn't stop moving ever. My daughter was not this active at all.

Last edited:
It sounds exhausting. Wow and he can do this at 9 months! That is quite something. Things will get better longer term, when he can get outlets for all that energy, but meantime, do you have enough help with him? Any friends or family to take the load off? I recall my friends baby was constantly in motion once she was up on her feet, it really is a joy to see them so curious and active, but like you say, exhausting!

9 months in to the birth of my son and I can unequivocally say that I sorely overestimated how much energy I had to, and how much energy a second child would take out of me at my age now that he's crawling.

Holy hell everyday is I'm Warden Norton from Shawshank trying to stay ahead of the inevitable prison break. The kid doesn't stop moving ever. My daughter was not this active at all.
My son could spin so fast he could go across the living room in less than 2 seconds. A few times I think he left burnout marks on the rug.

Took my child alot to the park. She was always busy outside with her trike. Before that, she had a bounce chair that hooks on the door jamb. I could cook dinner, she bounced and watched me at the same time. I didn't want things backing up in her system so l always kept her active. At five years old, she loved her little red scooter. Finally, she got a kitten, and she named it Cutie. And that was her pal.

And a butcher roll of paper or a box of computer paper, crayons and she was happy.

You will be a great parent. Just keep increasing your caffeine intake.

It sounds exhausting. Wow and he can do this at 9 months! That is quite something. Things will get better longer term, when he can get outlets for all that energy, but meantime, do you have enough help with him? Any friends or family to take the load off? I recall my friends baby was constantly in motion once she was up on her feet, it really is a joy to see them so curious and active, but like you say, exhausting!

Right. My daughter didn't start moving like this until she was almost a year. If I sit him down, boom! He's off to the races lol

How wonderful :)

If you want to stay one step ahead don't try to out pace him physically.
He's only been alive for 9 months, granted, but you will lose :)

His whole world is becoming awesome and there's so much to explore before nap time comes around again.
Also,
He's mobile.
He doesn't quite yet understand how he's getting from A to B to C, back to A and from there to Z
but it's wonderful and he's very pleased with his new found freedom.

Crawling will strengthen his parts needed for (later) walking, improve gross motor functions, co ordination and polish your floors :)

If I needed any of mine in one general area while I prepped and cooked a meal for example, I'd use one of three things:
A play pen,
A door bouncer (not security guard but suspended seat on a spring hung from door frame)
A 'walker'

they could still exercise their limbs (move) and be curious. Just in a more confined area.
No search and rescue teams needed for escaped crawler.

This was 30 yrs ago. Unsure of latest research into potential postural or psychological effects of such old fashioned equipment.
It worked for my three and then two grandsons.

And yes, I hear ya. It is tiring :)

When my child was in a crib, l moved her bear mobile towards her feet. She would screw up her face into a determined look and kick those cute little bears hanging from her mobile and those little legs were working so hard, her hands were in little fists. Soon the little cloth bears are bouncing all over the place. Baby's are smart.

Right. My daughter didn't start moving like this until she was almost a year. If I sit him down, boom! He's off to the races lol
Just wait until he discovers the Joy of Destruction. One time he rode his Big Wheel down the stairs. He sat at the bottom looking like he was trying to decide if he should cry or do it again.
Hammer.jpg

Just wait until he discovers the Joy of Destruction. One time he rode his Big Wheel down the stairs. He sat at the bottom looking like he was trying to decide if he should cry or do it again.
View attachment 90418
"Boys just do damage to everything that you can measure in dollars like a hurricane. Girls leave scars on your psyche that you find later like an atrocity or genocide" Louis CK

New Threads

Top Bottom