• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My guy is wonderful, but his meltdowns can be terrible

gingertimelady

I've been dating my Aspie boyfriend for over 2 years now, and we've lived together for one and a half years. I don't have ASD, but likely have inattentive ADHD. However, I have yet to get a diagnosis, so at this point it's just a strong speculation. My BF was diagnosed with Asperger's when he was 3, and likely has comorbid ADHD, but no diagnosis on that condition yet. (He's 35, I'm 32).

Most of this whole time together has been wonderful, and I feel lucky to have a great, handsome, and very funny guy like him in my life, and I know he loves that I'm in his life too. He also loves to dote on me and do the cooking, so I can't complain there! :)

But the rockiest road we've ridden is coping with his meltdowns. It hasn't been easy on either of us.

When he gets frustrated, anxious, angry, or needs to release pent up stress, or gets triggered by violent media (specifically extreme bodily trauma from swords, spears, arrows, bayonets, flamethrowers etc, and any visual depicting wounded or killed children or animals, no matter the scene context or that it's not real), he'll have a meltdown.

His meltdowns usually takes the form of him shaking, turning red, with eyes wide open, or with his hands rubbing his eyes roughly, or his fingers rubbing together in quick movements. (I realize the eye rubbing and finger movements are stimming). He'll then start to speak strangely, from outlandish things like suggesting that the president should be assassinated (we're Canadian, and we don't support assassination of anyone!), to sexually weird or perverted things (not printable here!) to seemingly nonsensical put-downs against me or friends or relatives. ("You're not that smart// Your Facebook post SUCKED// You'd have been better off dropping out of school// You'll just gain all that weight back again// Your (friend/relative) is a b***//They can suck my ****").

All the while he's talking, I'm embracing him in a hug and deflecting or laughing off his comments. The hug helps to calm him down, and not taking his comments seriously is the only thing I can do. I can't leave the room either, or he'll follow me. Sometimes when I'm tired or stressed myself, these comments will hit me like a slap in the face, and it's very challenging not to get upset. And when I get upset, he gets more upset, and it takes longer for him to calm down.

If he doesn't calm down after a while, or has a meltdown again just after he's almost calmed down, he's likely to have a tantrum. This doesn't happen often, thank goodness, but when it does it's awful. He'll fling objects across the room (his glasses, whatever is on the coffee table, his bike pump, the last of our pizza dinner that was on his lap, etc), or he'll pound his fist on the coffee table (he accidentally totalled my laptop screen when he did that last. Good thing I wasn't using it much!). Then he'll try to clean up, but still agitated, he ends up tossing objects on the ground (like my birth plate, which shattered on impact with the carpet. To my relief, it is an easily replaced mass-market item. But I didn't know that at the time, and I freaked out!). Or he'll try to ease the situation by tickling me, which (in his agitated state) becomes jabbing and poking. And if he realizes in the moment that he hurt me physically, he'll immediately try to self-harm, which makes me upset, and I try my darnedest to stop him and calm him down from there.

He does have meltdowns in public too, but he can moderate his output of weird words a bit, or at least quiet down when he says them. Also, considering that social anxiety is a major trigger for him, just hanging out with my friends and him can make him far more likely to have an episode. So we don't do that often. (Just me hanging out with friends on my own can sometimes make him feel jealous or left out. Even when he was unavailable to join in anyway.)

My boyfriend almost always feels terrible after these meltdowns or tantrums happen, even if I assure him it's okay, and I'm okay. He's very frustrated that he has these episodes, and doesn't know what, if anything, he can do to change or moderate his outbursts. It doesn't help that right after a meltdown is over, he barely remembers what he'd said, so he can't describe his meltdowns on his own. He often wishes he could get a recording of it, but I never think to reach for a recorder in the moment.

He did explain that what he says during a tantrum is rarely meant in earnest, and that when he makes put-down or belittling comments, it's always to try to put the situation or other people, including me, down to his level.

I've tried searching other Autism forums and websites for more insight on his meltdowns and how to help him out, but it seems like his type of meltdown is rare, or rarer, anyway. I couldn't find any example of another person with ASD who was triggered by violent media, and how they might handle it.

My BF also has a thing about me watching violent media that he has a hard time handling. It also bothers him that I'm a girl, and he's a guy, but he's sensitive to this stuff. So, I can't watch an R rated movie like 'Logan', or a show like Game of Thrones, even on my own, because he'll be very upset/disturbed that I like something so violent, and a bit jealous at the same time. (We did watch 'Deadpool' together. It's a good movie, but it caused the most recent awful meltdown and tantrum, and was something we probably should have avoided. There was also 'Hacksaw Ridge', which was a bad decision to see. We got to about 20 minutes from the end of the movie when my BF stormed out of the theatre saying "There's a bomb in the theatre!" and punching a wall on the way out. (He was worried he'd be banned from the theatre. Thankfully, this doesn't seem to have been the case). And then trying to watch Game of Thrones with him (at his behest) was a real trial. We somehow got as far as Season 2, but had to stop when the meltdowns and tantrums were just intolerable, and every episode-viewing felt like a bomb ready to go off at any moment).

We are undergoing couple's counselling to address these, and other issues. We found a new counsellor when the old one wasn't helping much, and the new one has been very helpful so far.

Any insight at all is appreciated.

I'll state the obvious, disconnect the cable and the internet and buy Disney movies.
LOL, I did think of that. We tend to watch less violent things now, like Disney, or Bollywood movies (which, even when violent, are pretty tame).

What's more the issue is - do I just give up watching what I'd like to watch, period? Or watch it on my own, and risk upsetting my BF? For the most part, I've taken the former tack, just avoiding anything really violent. But I don't feel happy, missing out on a lot of good movies that way. If my BF was just fine with me watching that stuff on my own, there'd be no issue. But he has this 'If I can't take it, you can't have it' attitude that he just can't shake.

PS We're not disconnecting from the internet either. How else would we watch our favorite YouTube programs? Cable though, we have the free basic kind from our building, but we could do without it. TV isn't much of a worry, though.

LOL, I did think of that. We tend to watch less violent things now, like Disney, or Bollywood movies (which, even when violent, are pretty tame).

What's more the issue is - do I just give up watching what I'd like to watch, period? Or watch it on my own, and risk upsetting my BF? For the most part, I've taken the former tack, just avoiding anything really violent. But I don't feel happy, missing out on a lot of good movies that way. If my BF was just fine with me watching that stuff on my own, there'd be no issue. But he has this 'If I can't take it, you can't have it' attitude that he just can't shake.

On this issue it takes both of you making compromise. Alternatively, it might be that he can't support all of your needs and you might have to find a friend to go to the movies, or watch GOT at their house.

Not ideal I know.

it ssounds like schizo effective disorder
psychologists used to diagnose everyone with autism as having that mental illness before the 1990s .
there a member called clintos who has been diagnosed with it and he's Canadian try pming him just click on the inbox at the top right hand corner of the page and click start a new conversation or you can message him in his profile page
I've been dating my Aspie boyfriend for over 2 years now, and we've lived together for one and a half years. I don't have ASD, but likely have inattentive ADHD. However, I have yet to get a diagnosis, so at this point it's just a strong speculation. My BF was diagnosed with Asperger's when he was 3, and likely has comorbid ADHD, but no diagnosis on that condition yet. (He's 35, I'm 32).

Most of this whole time together has been wonderful, and I feel lucky to have a great, handsome, and very funny guy like him in my life, and I know he loves that I'm in his life too. He also loves to dote on me and do the cooking, so I can't complain there! :)

But the rockiest road we've ridden is coping with his meltdowns. It hasn't been easy on either of us.

When he gets frustrated, anxious, angry, or needs to release pent up stress, or gets triggered by violent media (specifically extreme bodily trauma from swords, spears, arrows, bayonets, flamethrowers etc, and any visual depicting wounded or killed children or animals, no matter the scene context or that it's not real), he'll have a meltdown.

His meltdowns usually takes the form of him shaking, turning red, with eyes wide open, or with his hands rubbing his eyes roughly, or his fingers rubbing together in quick movements. (I realize the eye rubbing and finger movements are stimming). He'll then start to speak strangely, from outlandish things like suggesting that the president should be assassinated (we're Canadian, and we don't support assassination of anyone!), to sexually weird or perverted things (not printable here!) to seemingly nonsensical put-downs against me or friends or relatives. ("You're not that smart// Your Facebook post SUCKED// You'd have been better off dropping out of school// You'll just gain all that weight back again// Your (friend/relative) is a b***//They can suck my ****").

All the while he's talking, I'm embracing him in a hug and deflecting or laughing off his comments. The hug helps to calm him down, and not taking his comments seriously is the only thing I can do. I can't leave the room either, or he'll follow me. Sometimes when I'm tired or stressed myself, these comments will hit me like a slap in the face, and it's very challenging not to get upset. And when I get upset, he gets more upset, and it takes longer for him to calm down.

If he doesn't calm down after a while, or has a meltdown again just after he's almost calmed down, he's likely to have a tantrum. This doesn't happen often, thank goodness, but when it does it's awful. He'll fling objects across the room (his glasses, whatever is on the coffee table, his bike pump, the last of our pizza dinner that was on his lap, etc), or he'll pound his fist on the coffee table (he accidentally totalled my laptop screen when he did that last. Good thing I wasn't using it much!). Then he'll try to clean up, but still agitated, he ends up tossing objects on the ground (like my birth plate, which shattered on impact with the carpet. To my relief, it is an easily replaced mass-market item. But I didn't know that at the time, and I freaked out!). Or he'll try to ease the situation by tickling me, which (in his agitated state) becomes jabbing and poking. And if he realizes in the moment that he hurt me physically, he'll immediately try to self-harm, which makes me upset, and I try my darnedest to stop him and calm him down from there.

He does have meltdowns in public too, but he can moderate his output of weird words a bit, or at least quiet down when he says them. Also, considering that social anxiety is a major trigger for him, just hanging out with my friends and him can make him far more likely to have an episode. So we don't do that often. (Just me hanging out with friends on my own can sometimes make him feel jealous or left out. Even when he was unavailable to join in anyway.)

My boyfriend almost always feels terrible after these meltdowns or tantrums happen, even if I assure him it's okay, and I'm okay. He's very frustrated that he has these episodes, and doesn't know what, if anything, he can do to change or moderate his outbursts. It doesn't help that right after a meltdown is over, he barely remembers what he'd said, so he can't describe his meltdowns on his own. He often wishes he could get a recording of it, but I never think to reach for a recorder in the moment.

He did explain that what he says during a tantrum is rarely meant in earnest, and that when he makes put-down or belittling comments, it's always to try to put the situation or other people, including me, down to his level.

I've tried searching other Autism forums and websites for more insight on his meltdowns and how to help him out, but it seems like his type of meltdown is rare, or rarer, anyway. I couldn't find any example of another person with ASD who was triggered by violent media, and how they might handle it.

My BF also has a thing about me watching violent media that he has a hard time handling. It also bothers him that I'm a girl, and he's a guy, but he's sensitive to this stuff. So, I can't watch an R rated movie like 'Logan', or a show like Game of Thrones, even on my own, because he'll be very upset/disturbed that I like something so violent, and a bit jealous at the same time. (We did watch 'Deadpool' together. It's a good movie, but it caused the most recent awful meltdown and tantrum, and was something we probably should have avoided. There was also 'Hacksaw Ridge', which was a bad decision to see. We got to about 20 minutes from the end of the movie when my BF stormed out of the theatre saying "There's a bomb in the theatre!" and punching a wall on the way out. (He was worried he'd be banned from the theatre. Thankfully, this doesn't seem to have been the case). And then trying to watch Game of Thrones with him (at his behest) was a real trial. We somehow got as far as Season 2, but had to stop when the meltdowns and tantrums were just intolerable, and every episode-viewing felt like a bomb ready to go off at any moment).

We are undergoing couple's counselling to address these, and other issues. We found a new counsellor when the old one wasn't helping much, and the new one has been very helpful so far.

Any insight at all is appreciated.

It sounds like it'd be a good idea for him to get some professional help. It sounds like it's more than just meltdowns, and there might be something going on that makes his trigger threshold lower than it could be. A professional should be able to help determine if there's something else going on (and if so, what), or if there isn't, may be able to provide tools and possibly medication that can help.

(Note -- when I mention medication, I'm not suggesting something that can make him "less autistic" or whatever, but something like a low dose antidepressant, which may help the anxiety, which in turn raises the meltdown threshold, making him better able to deal with certain things without these meltdowns.)

I myself don't own a TV. (Really!) Just a thought. ;)

My deepest compassion for your mate, and yourself, too.

You might want to check out a great book on Amazon called "Managing Meltdowns," by Deborah Lipsky. The book describes how to identify the rumbling stage, and helpful interventions. The "sterile bouncing" technique has been very effective with me.

I'm wishing you and your honey good success.

Time for him to collect his thoughts, without things coming at him 100mph is critical. Your love and understanding may not seem to be taken in, but it is. Thank you for sharing this, and anything worth having is worth learning for. Wish you both a long and close time

it ssounds like schizo effective disorder
psychologists used to diagnose everyone with autism as having that mental illness before the 1990s .
there a member called clintos who has been diagnosed with it and he's Canadian try pming him just click on the inbox at the top right hand corner of the page and click start a new conversation or you can message him in his profile page

Thank you for the PM suggestion. Schizo-affective disorder. Hmm, definitely worth looking into. Thanks very much!

It sounds like it'd be a good idea for him to get some professional help. It sounds like it's more than just meltdowns, and there might be something going on that makes his trigger threshold lower than it could be. A professional should be able to help determine if there's something else going on (and if so, what), or if there isn't, may be able to provide tools and possibly medication that can help.

(Note -- when I mention medication, I'm not suggesting something that can make him "less autistic" or whatever, but something like a low dose antidepressant, which may help the anxiety, which in turn raises the meltdown threshold, making him better able to deal with certain things without these meltdowns.)

Thanks for the advice, although my guy is getting professional help from a counsellor on a regular basis. Only in the most recent session did the issue of his quick temper or very strong negative reactions to certain situations arise.

He has tried medication for anxiety as well, but gave it up as it didn't seem to be helping at all.

Time for him to collect his thoughts, without things coming at him 100mph is critical. Your love and understanding may not seem to be taken in, but it is. Thank you for sharing this, and anything worth having is worth learning for. Wish you both a long and close time

Yes, time and space to collect thoughts and calm down is important. And I know he loves me, and I love him. Thanks for the support. :)

I myself don't own a TV. (Really!) Just a thought. ;)

My deepest compassion for your mate, and yourself, too.

You might want to check out a great book on Amazon called "Managing Meltdowns," by Deborah Lipsky. The book describes how to identify the rumbling stage, and helpful interventions. The "sterile bouncing" technique has been very effective with me.

I'm wishing you and your honey good success.

Thank you so much for the direction to this resource. It sounds like it will be very useful! Thanks for your caring and support.

New Threads

Top Bottom