• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My Guinea Pig Just Had Babies Unexpectedly

AuBurney Tuckerson

~GigglesTheAutisticHyena~
I didn't know she was pregnant, but my boar somehow got to my sow a couple of months back, and this happens. The whole time, I had no idea she was pregnant. I feel a bit guilty for not being able to stop this before. Am I a bad owner for this happening?

I'm happy for them, but I'm a little mad at myself for not being able to prevent this because Oreo is Katie's adult son, and they ended up mating and inbreeding. The newborn seems okay; he/she is pooping and even groomed him/herself. I'm worried that Katie might be rejecting her because I didn't see her burse her pup once and seems to be ignoring her/him. I kinda feel bad..

Congratulations! I don’t think it matters if there is just one generation that inbreed. But this baby shouldn’t mate with a parent maybe. I don’t know!
I bet it’s cute though.
You can always call the vet’s office with questions and they might be able to give advice without having to take them in.

I love guinea pigs! How exciting to have babies. No, you are not a bad owner but I agree with others that a Vet could best answer your questions and reassure you.

I was told I had two females then I woke up one day to discover the cage open, dead babies in random places around the room, and one of the parents ripping the fur off the other parent.

I got rid of them after that.

You didn't do anything wrong!

Thanks for the advice everyone! The first one did not survive, unfortunately, but the second one is alive and seems well!;) Here's a picture of the newborn after birth!
20190328_194901.jpg

That does happen - some of these little animals it's really hard to see that they are pregnant, so don't feel bad. And no matter how hard you try, you can't always stop nature from taking it's course. :)

We had a sow that gave birth and rejected the 3 babies so I fed them milk and a dropper till they weaned. One of them choked on it so I felt bad but the other 2 survived, but grew up thinking they were humans and wanted to eat whatever we were having! They liked to sit on heads whilst watching the tv with us.

I love guinea pigs! I used to have some pet piggies but none of them had babies.
A young guinea pig can be pregnant and not look or act it at all when you bring them home. They don't show any obvious signs until just before they give birth where their belly just gets huge overnight. Guinea pigs are prey animals, so this might the reason. It's not your fault for not noticing.
My two nieces once got a guinea pig who also turned out to be pregnant. I got to see the mom and her babies, but my sil gave them all away later. Said she was allergic to them.

UPDATE: JellyBean (the new baby guinea Piggie) is doing great! I couldn't tell the gender when I checked, so I will wait about a week. But JellyBean has been zooming around, squeaking happily, following mom and dad, popcorning, and even eating what mom eats! He/She is getting bigger, too! Hyper little guinea Piggie! I kinda wanna go to pet smart now and see if there is anything I could get for the Guinea piggies now! owo

Good to hear that Jellybean is doing fine. It must have been something of a shock to become an Aunt so suddenly:)

They generally just make a noise when they want fed.

Hamsters are awake at night and make a noise when they are spinning thier exercise wheel.

Does anyone know how loud guinea pigs are at night? My daughter wants to get one day after tomorrow. We have had hamsters, and those critters are just too loud at night. Are guinea pigs like that?

Please reply!
Hamsters are nocturnal but guinea pigs seem less so. Guinea will make that "wheek" sound when they're hungry and when you bring them their food, which can get pretty loud if you ignore them.:) I once had a hamster and I found he was very quiet that except for the noise of hamster wheel when he was running on it at night. I found that when I lubricated the wheel with some vegetable oil made it a lot quieter.

New Threads

Top Bottom