• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My Guardian Angel (2016) - What is your opinion of it?

AGXStarseed

My Guardian Angel is a British Thriller released in 2016, whose protagonist is a 11 year old girl called Hannah and who is both Autistic and non-verbal.

Here is the movie's plot:

When Hannah’s parents took her to a new school, they said it was to give her a new start. However, Hannah is 11, autistic, and due to her condition, unable to speak. She had a twin called Angel, but when Angel died, Hannah was forbidden to grieve by her abusive parents and punished when she sought comfort from her sister’s things.

Now Hannah lives locked inside a silent life of despair, which she fears will soon end at the hands of her parents. However, when a knife keeps appearing under her pillow, a voice that she thinks is inside her head won’t leave her alone, Hannah begins to realise that just maybe, she may have an ally not of this world, but fear paralyses her. Could it be Angel, who from the ‘other side’ has come back to seek justice for all the abuse she has suffered? Can Hannah overcome her fear enough to let her in?

For me personally, I've not seen this and I doubt I will; seeing this kind of thing even in just the clips from the trailer was enough to get my blood boiling.
At the same time, it's a somewhat interesting road to take - especially since the Disability's Day of Mourning Website has numerous entries on Autistic people young and old who were abused and murdered by their own families and we all know that child abuse is sadly something that happens a lot.

I'm wondering if any of you guys have ever seen it and what you thought of it.

It's not a bad movie, IMO. The nonverbal autism is just used as a plot device that's there to make sure the protagonist can't tell anyone about the abuse, though it could be quite distressing for some to watch because of that. Her twin sister was not autistic and was abused even worse than Hannah by their parents (who are simply horrible people and not abusing Hannah just because she is autistic), leading to her death.

Since it is a thriller, there is an element of the supernatural in play which allows Hannah to improve her situation by the end of the movie and that is quite satisfying. The characters are a bit stereotypical, and the writing is somewhat simplistic, but overall it's not a terrible movie. It's not really about autism per se (it's more about the abuse and the supernatural element used to overcome it), but it certainly doesn't make fun of the condition.

No abuse movies for me... From the trailer it doesn't look like something that is going to bring any logic towards anyone with ASD, but I could be very wrong (trailers often throw people off on purpose). Looked creepy more than anything... : )

New Threads

Top Bottom