• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My first serious game project

UberScout

Please Don't Be Mad At Me 02/09/1996
V.I.P Member
I've talked about various projects I've had in the past based on different game ideas I've thought up, but the one thing those things have in common is that they all tend to stay in "development hell" for a considerable amount of time, or just straight up become vaporware, left to fester on my or Maddog's hard drive for sometimes years at a time. However, thanks to many game-maker services being widely browser-based with some having the option to download an offline version of the software along with the game you've produced, one of my projects, a text adventure, has remained alive to this very day, and after spending since 2016 in development hell, I've decided to revive the project.

It is on textadventures.co.uk and it is called "And Yet It Rains On Walls Of Stone". That was more or less a working title but I decided to go with it after today. It started back in 2016-17-ish while I was in a behavioral health hospital, and they actually let me use the computer to work on my project from the website using the built in web player.

It tells sort of a POV story as the player sees the world of my struggles during that time through my own eyes in real life, attempting to recreate the details as realistically as possible, with a few twists.

While I would love to have people see...er, read...what I have done with my time, it is still heavily unfinished and there are several bugs I am actually working to fix right now, believe it or not, that are largely unintentional (obviously) but pretty humorous, such as:

- Attempting to write on anything with a pencil retrieved from your room would somehow cause the player to be eaten alive by the pencil
One of the main gimmicks of my game is a "panic" gauge which is not yet fully implemented; as it grows in intensity, the player is affected in more and more ways until eventually you start seeing hallucinations, one of which was supposed to be objects in your inventory coming to life and growing a monstrous mouth that would "eat" you alive, sending you to a fake game over succeeded by "Well, that WOULD have happened if it wasn't a hallucination."

- Often times when the player's assigned doctor would be in the same room as them, their A.I. would inexplicably bug out and have them attempt to take notes on the behavior of the telephone mounted into the wall nearby, and sometimes attempt to have it locked in a room that doesn't exist

Stay tuned as I post more updates and sometimes humorous bug reports/fixes!

I've talked about various projects I've had in the past based on different game ideas I've thought up, but the one thing those things have in common is that they all tend to stay in "development hell" for a considerable amount of time, or just straight up become vaporware, left to fester on my or Maddog's hard drive for sometimes years at a time. However, thanks to many game-maker services being widely browser-based with some having the option to download an offline version of the software along with the game you've produced, one of my projects, a text adventure, has remained alive to this very day, and after spending since 2016 in development hell, I've decided to revive the project.

It is on textadventures.co.uk and it is called "And Yet It Rains On Walls Of Stone". That was more or less a working title but I decided to go with it after today. It started back in 2016-17-ish while I was in a behavioral health hospital, and they actually let me use the computer to work on my project from the website using the built in web player.

It tells sort of a POV story as the player sees the world of my struggles during that time through my own eyes in real life, attempting to recreate the details as realistically as possible, with a few twists.

While I would love to have people see...er, read...what I have done with my time, it is still heavily unfinished and there are several bugs I am actually working to fix right now, believe it or not, that are largely unintentional (obviously) but pretty humorous, such as:

- Attempting to write on anything with a pencil retrieved from your room would somehow cause the player to be eaten alive by the pencil
One of the main gimmicks of my game is a "panic" gauge which is not yet fully implemented; as it grows in intensity, the player is affected in more and more ways until eventually you start seeing hallucinations, one of which was supposed to be objects in your inventory coming to life and growing a monstrous mouth that would "eat" you alive, sending you to a fake game over succeeded by "Well, that WOULD have happened if it wasn't a hallucination."

- Often times when the player's assigned doctor would be in the same room as them, their A.I. would inexplicably bug out and have them attempt to take notes on the behavior of the telephone mounted into the wall nearby, and sometimes attempt to have it locked in a room that doesn't exist

Stay tuned as I post more updates and sometimes humorous bug reports/fixes!
Wow, that's some kinda game you came up with. Hope for the best !

I meant for the game that OP is making, Rae. I want a link to it.

Be patient, my friends! It is only unreleased still because I haven't gotten around to fixing a few things yet.

Just to let you know how patient you have to be, here is my progress:

- Fixed the worst ending printing after dying from reaching 0 health at the same time as the standard game over
- Pencils are no longer edible
- Pencils no longer explode when used on anything except paper or magazines
- The magazine in the living area no longer allows you to transform into it
- Scare Space now damages the player less
- The "Saving Grace" item found in Scare Space has grammatical issues corrected, somewhat

If you're wondering why these sound so ridiculous, it's because I had started development while still a patient in the behavioral hospital, and um, the medicine they gave me after I had sprained my ankle during gym class was, ah, pretty strong.

Stay tuned!

New Threads

Top Bottom