• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My brother yells at video games and I have a rabbit downstairs near him.

Jena

Hi guys, so my brother is 19 (going to be 20 in july) Now since covid-19 he has been downstairs a lot at his computer playing video games with his friends via the internet. Normally I wouldn't have a issue. But he is constantly making loud sudden noises such as loud clapping, hitting his hands hard on the table, making loud "woooooo" sounds. And I have a rabbit downstairs near him that I am constantly worried about because these noises are startling. She is 11 years old though but still since she is older I am always worried she might be no longer able to withstand that yelling since she is a old bun bun. I am not allowed to put her upstairs cause mom doesn't want her up here. So kinda have to have her downstairs. I try to talk to my brother about not making so much noise when playing video games but since I have Aspergers, he thinks it is me trying to get my own way, and me not being flexible, and not compromising and so forth. In fact my mom and dad both think this too. As this loud noise doesn't seem to bother them. When I try explaining that it is because of my rabbit. They tell me she has always been downstairs no problem and that loud noise is good for her???? (i mean since when is loud noise good for a sensitive prey animal like a rabbit???) mom also tells me that my brother has nothing else to do like it is a excuse for making startling unpredictable noises at a video game. I came here to rant a little but also I am not sure if I have the right to be concern or I am just being annoying.

It is valid. But people insensitive to animals make me so livid with anger I can't even reply decently. :mad:

All I can say is keep working on being independant. Or exchange your family for a animal friendly one. :)

Ok an actual idea. Give your brother your bedroom to play video games and move your bedroom downstairs. Even just mattress on the floor. Let's see if they will 'compromise'.

I feel you are reasonable and your family not talk to them again and if no change in attitude when possible (Corona19) and personal circumstances seek a different living space, poor Bunny.

Unless there have been changes in her behavior I would not worry about it. Rabbits are pretty adaptable. She has probably gotten used to the noises your brother makes. I'm sure that has been going on to some degree a lot longer than the quarantine.

Rabbits, dogs and cats have superior hearing and the bunny probably still can hear better than a human even at old age, so making all that noise next to her is just nasty. I have two cats and they are both sensitive to noise and loud, high-pitched sounds make them uneasy. I can tell by the way their ears go backwards.:screamcat:

Oh well, animals can adapt, we have to adapt to change, maybe bunny likes the company .

Hi guys, so my brother is 19 (going to be 20 in july) Now since covid-19 he has been downstairs a lot at his computer playing video games with his friends via the internet. Normally I wouldn't have a issue. But he is constantly making loud sudden noises such as loud clapping, hitting his hands hard on the table, making loud "woooooo" sounds. And I have a rabbit downstairs near him that I am constantly worried about because these noises are startling. She is 11 years old though but still since she is older I am always worried she might be no longer able to withstand that yelling since she is a old bun bun. I am not allowed to put her upstairs cause mom doesn't want her up here. So kinda have to have her downstairs. I try to talk to my brother about not making so much noise when playing video games but since I have Aspergers, he thinks it is me trying to get my own way, and me not being flexible, and not compromising and so forth. In fact my mom and dad both think this too. As this loud noise doesn't seem to bother them. When I try explaining that it is because of my rabbit. They tell me she has always been downstairs no problem and that loud noise is good for her???? (i mean since when is loud noise good for a sensitive prey animal like a rabbit???) mom also tells me that my brother has nothing else to do like it is a excuse for making startling unpredictable noises at a video game. I came here to rant a little but also I am not sure if I have the right to be concern or I am just being annoying.

You definitely have a legitimate concern, but the thing is that you said “he is constantly making loud sudden noises”. I’m not sure, but it just seems like when repeatedly nothing happens after a loud noise, your pet might get used to it

Like, training animals is like they get treats after they do something. Like positive and negative reinforcement and all that. Like if the loud noise results in nothing happening, the rabbits natural instincts to be startled might kind of decrease.

I mean, I am not sure and I could be completely wrong, but it just seems like animals adapt like people adapt. Like tabbits in the wild just run away from people, but once they get used to being around people and nothing bad happens, they don’t do what their natural instincts tell them to do any longer

Another Idea: Try sneaking up on your brother and popping a balloon right behind his head or shouting 'Woo Hoo!' or pounding the wall next to his head, repeatedly. If he objects say he is just trying to get his way and is inflexible and the loud noise is good for him.

Of course you are always open to a compromise.

Ok an actual idea. Give your brother your bedroom to play video games and move your bedroom downstairs. Even just mattress on the floor. Let's see if they will 'compromise'.
he has his own bedroom though. Plus my mattresss is queen size so not exactly easy to put downstairs. Plus I hate it downstairs because occassionally there might be a cave cricket or a spider. Meanwhile my bedroom is bug/spider free most of the time.

You definitely have a legitimate concern, but the thing is that you said “he is constantly making loud sudden noises”. I’m not sure, but it just seems like when repeatedly nothing happens after a loud noise, your pet might get used to it

Like, training animals is like they get treats after they do something. Like positive and negative reinforcement and all that. Like if the loud noise results in nothing happening, the rabbits natural instincts to be startled might kind of decrease.

I mean, I am not sure and I could be completely wrong, but it just seems like animals adapt like people adapt. Like tabbits in the wild just run away from people, but once they get used to being around people and nothing bad happens, they don’t do what their natural instincts tell them to do any longer

true and she has got used to many noises over the years but then again I was petting her the other day and she was enjoying it and my brother suddenly clapped really loudly. And she darted away. Hence my concerns come from.

true and she has got used to many noises over the years but then again I was petting her the other day and she was enjoying it and my brother suddenly clapped really loudly. And she darted away. Hence my concerns come from.

My guess is that her natural startle responses have decreased due to nothing happening after loud noises occur, but that they haven’t disappeared. My guess is that you have a valid concern and your family has a valid counter to your concerns. The truth is probably in the middle somewhere

Last edited:
That's tough. Possibly a little noise machine plugged on top near cage so that drowns out some of the noise. Plug in units that is circular. Or a clock that plugs in and has babling brook or rainfall down near her cage. Hopefully your brother won't unplug. Plus burn incense or spray room with something comforting maybe causing him to soften up and disperse raging teenager hormones. Lol if possible put cage on shelving unit away from him with noise machine (white noise).

he has his own bedroom though. Plus my mattresss is queen size so not exactly easy to put downstairs. Plus I hate it downstairs because occassionally there might be a cave cricket or a spider. Meanwhile my bedroom is bug/spider free most of the time.

Ok, one last idea. Call the nearest research lab and see if you can donate your brother to science.

;)

Ok, one last idea. Call the nearest research lab and see if you can donate your brother to science.

;)

Then the rabbit can move in his room and life will be a furbie and just paint rabbits room soothing Easter yellow with a green rug. That might scare your brother away.

New Threads

Top Bottom