• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My attempt on making friends in college

joe2006

About nine years ago I went to college to get Website Design certificate. I also wanted to make a few friends while I was there. Unfortunately, things did not go as planned. When I first started going to college I saw many people I knew from my high school. Most of them seemed friendly to me. This one guy who was into computers would sometimes sit down and talk with me for a while. Sometimes people would invite me to eat at their tables in the meal halls and we would hang out until we were done eating.

The longer I was at this college the more aggressive people became. The people who were staying in the room above my dorm were very rude people and would often times give me a hard time for no reason at all. They had it in their minds that I was some kind of a bad and crazy person and started several rumors around the college that made me look bad. I could sometimes hear them hollering insults at me from their room.

The neighbors I had living next to me were just as bad. One of the boys living in that room seemed very unhappy with me and even accused me of using and stealing some of his things. They also noticed a bad smell coming from the floor of their room and assumed I might have been smoking something in my room. I later figured out that the smell was coming from the gasses that were in the sewers. I only had to put up with those two until they finished college and left.

The next semester I had new neighbors. One boy used to go to school with me and he was one of the few people who was still nice to me. I guess the false rumors did not faze him much. I also had a new roommate who was an older man coming back to college to improve his mechanical skills. The new neighbors starting going out and drinking every Friday or Saturday night and would come back to the college about four in the morning and start pounding on the doors and walls. My roommate did not like this at all and eventually began calling security on them but security never did anything about them. The neighbors would sometimes hear him calling security and would plan another loud prank the next night.

As I walked through the halls of the college none of the people I knew in school wanted anything to do with me and would usually try to avoid me in I spoke to them. Sometimes they would insult me as I walked by them but I would usually ignore them.

At the end of the second semester the crazy neighbors dropped out of college and left a note on the bathroom mirror thanking us for being such terrible neighbors. My roommate was very angry about this and turned the not into security but there was nothing they could do about it now. I was dreading coming back the next semester and having two more unpleasant neighbors.

I started my third and last semester at college and soon met my new neighbors. They were actually nice and friendly unlike the other neighbors. I never had any problems with them. The neighbors living in the room above me continued insulting me and spreading ugly rumors about me.

Near the end of the semester I was walking from my dorm to my mailbox and there was my former computer buddy hanging out with his friends in a meal hall. This boy I never even saw before started making threats to me and it looked like he was crying about something. My computer friend said I was a bad person. I did not want any trouble so I kept walking to my mailbox and nobody got hurt.

I began to think that my computer friend was one of the people in the room above my room and that he was helping people make up these rumors. I complete my algebra class and realized I would not have enough time to work on my other classes because of how long it took me to complete the math class. I dropped out of college and went home. It was nice not have to be around all those rude people.

Even after I dropped out of college I still would encounter some of those people from the college that did not like me. The owner of the town grocery store sold his store and somebody from out of town bought it and cut everyone’s pay in half. Most of the employees quit and the new owner hired his other employees to take their places with full pay. Many of the new employees were from the college I used to go to and some were the rude people who mistreated me. They were still angry with me because of the rumors they started at the college. Here it was five years later and they were still giving me a hard time.

Then a couple of years ago My computer friend sent me a friend request on Facebook and I accepted it. He waited a few months and then hacked into my Facebook account and posted an insult, in my name, about one of my friends I had been hanging out with. My friend found out about this before I saw the post and was so offended he did not want anything else to do with me because he thought I posted this. I had to go in and delete the post before it misled anyone else.

I have been trying to figure out for years why the people from the college did to me what they did. I never did anything to them. They never did tell me what they were saying about me or why they disliked me so much.

Does anyone else have trouble making friends in college or school?

One time I started a new job and someone decided to spread a rumor that I had two college degrees and was planted by management as a spy.
There was an emergency union meeting, flyers were posted...
All because someone wanted to cause some drama, I guess he was a bored liar.
I outlasted it, probably because after talking to me for a minute nobody believed I had two college degrees.
Sorry that happened, and is still happening to you. It is so senseless and hard to understand their motives.

Entire high school hated me because I had long hair and listened to metal, had one kid in sixth form (college) constantly saying to me that everyone with autism is an "attention seeker", in my first year of uni when I tried an English language course someone told me that the whole class had a "who's the most likely to kill everyone" vote and I was voted first place (I'm not aggressive or violent at all, I've never been in a fight) however I did make one good friend from that course who I talk to this day. Changed course and did literature which I finished, didn't make a single friend there, at all. Whole class ignored me on the last day, all talking to each other about going to the pub and never even invited me or even said so much as goodbye. On. The. Last. Day. Tried doing a postgraduate course at york for a bit before Christmas in contemporary literature, first day teacher asked if I was even supposed to be there so the entire class had a problem with me from day one. One girl kept death staring at me for the ENTIRETY of every class. I never did find out why,

Some people are just looking to hurt someone and pick the first person they think they can get away with hurting.

Those were the days I wish I can forget. I use to and still call college invisablellege. I was not bullied or anything I was literally invisible I could have disappeared in an classroom and no one even the professors would have been a wiser.

Yes I also remember those so called "fake friends" that I knew in HS totally ignored me in college. Thank goodness I did not go into a college with a dorm instead of staying at home nearby otherwise what you went through would have caused me a psychotic breakdown.

My second cousin has AS what a joy talking to him what I have and I am so worried when he goes to college even though he is smart I think he will hate it and drop out I hope not but looking at the statistics it does not look promising.

Last edited:
Seriously!? I can't stand that a bunch of college kids have as much maturity as the kids I had to deal with!

I went through the same sorta thing, but with some Gen Z stuff inserted. How down-right cringy my generation is did make it worse . . .

Dang. Sounds like you live in a small area. That's extreme. There are many other colleges out there and other places you can live. There is a lot of opportunity out there. Don't let stupid, local narrow-minded people hold you back. Try another rural community with a college. At least people won't know you and you can start over and not make the mistakes you did in your local area. People who already didn't like you in high school and growing up apparently haven't matured much and/or really don't like you. The school you went to must be small enough that new people got along with other local people that didn't like you. You need a place you can grow. This small community you grew up in has been tapped out for you and has kind of nothing to offer you besides familiarity. Change is scary, but in this case, it's definitely a good thing. Whatever you are getting now in terms of education or a job, you can find in other places. If you can't move out, try to find a way to make it work as soon as you can.

New Threads

Top Bottom