• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My annual Remembrance Day obsession

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
I did sort of start a thread about this elsewhere, here is a slideshow I first created six years ago, I figured it was time to update! Which I did, replacing almost every photo... I think I posted the old slideshow last November on here

Yes... I do have to approach strangers to ask them if I can take their photo... And I'm still fairly certain that I'm Asperger's

@Mia @Judge

And on November 11th? Don't ask... All photography related...

I might go to a sunrise service at our Field of Crosses, if I feel like getting up early enough for sunrise, plus the drive to get there... I will attend one of several 11 AM services held here in Calgary... Then probably go downtown to our main cenotaph to simply catch some stragglers, lots of people wander by after the ceremony is over... Then probably have some lunch... Then go to our local military cemetery, wander around, take it all in... It's a peaceful place to spend some time... And there are two military cenotaphs in the cemetery... I will go to the smaller Great War cenotaph and finally lay down my poppy on that one... Phew! Obsession? Maybe...

Just back... Photos downloaded... Let's just say I've had better years for Remembrance Day, some competent photos, no outstanding moments... A little disappointed, make that a lot disappointed... :rolleyes:

...I believe you're in Canada and Rememberance Day is the phrase for what's called Veteran's Day here in the USA, yes? I believe it originated from World War I memorials - was it once Decoration Day in both countries? Pre-1939, when the war was just " The Great War " still;).

...I believe you're in Canada and Rememberance Day is the phrase for what's called Veteran's Day here in the USA, yes? I believe it originated from World War I memorials - was it once Decoration Day in both countries? Pre-1939, when the war was just " The Great War " still;).

In Canada, as part of the British Commonwealth, the original name for November 11th was Armistice Day (ie. German signing of the armistice agreement, and surrender, on November 11th at 11 AM, in 1918), later on the name got changed to Remembrance Day

And there were two terms for WW1, one that was used is "The War To End all Wars", we know that didn't happen, the other name was "The Great War" as you stated... In some circles the term "The Great War" is still preferred, I do know there is a Great War forum on the internet right now, which clearly doesn't use the name WW1...

I like that you told people stories in the video, Sherlock. Thank you, I am reminded this time of year of my Father and Grandfather and Uncles.

Part of the reason is it had the highest casualties of any war ,the soldiers were not trained (it was slaughter)in mechanical and chemical warfare and the other part is ,in Europe wherever the bodies were ,there were always European poppies growing ,they are one of the species that seed themselves in disturbed (waste )ground,Although somebody had a grisly job of taking a length of a very slim metal Rod and poke it in the ground ,pull it out and inhale the odour , as the ground might of just !!!!been disturbed by bombs, you also have the first cases of the new diagnosis PTSD caused by bombing and tanks.

New Threads

Top Bottom