• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Musical ear syndrome / audio pareidolia

Suzette

V.I.P Member
I have musical ear syndrome. Basically I hear music in random, sustained machine noises like fans or a busy highway traffic noise.
I am mostly affected by fans and I hear all genres of music but especially jazz. I don't know anyone else that admits to having musical ear sydrome. Have you ever experienced this?

Apophenia, Audio Pareidolia and Musical Ear Syndrome

Last edited:
Two nights ago had the fan going in my bedroom oscillation mode keep hearing what sounded like a cat meow all night my cats were sound asleep plastic on plastic rubbing slightly, not music drove me nuts and awake. wife turned oscillation off problem solved.

Last edited:
My fans sound like there are people talking. I can't make out any words but the sound is a male voice that dones on and on.
My highschool history teacher, whom I now think might be aspie, loving called "Disco Don", would lecture in a bass monotone. He was a really cool guy though. As nice as can be.

Last edited:
Yes, but I didn't know it had a name. I was trying to describe it on another thread recently. It mostly introduces/suggests music but it also can sound like indistinct voices.

I have had fun with it at times, making up music in my head, but can never make it last as I can't remember the little bits I create very long and so the tune drifts.

It can also be tiring and annoying as what is most often unconciously introduced is a super heavy driving drum beat that reminds me of Swing in the Jitterbug era. A little is ok, but when you can't stop it it can become maddening.

Have to add for me it can be any machine but most often is Air Conditioners.

LOL I do, but only when I'm trying to actually listen to music. Otherwise it can be disturbing.

Sounds usually merge into some form of music when I hear them altogether.

I hear music in mechanical noises of course, but if there are two sources of discordant sounds, one sound can actually block the other sound over certain frequencies. For example, if a person is talking to me and someone nearby starts a lawn mower, ceratin tones will be "bleeped" out of the talkers speech. This makes them sound like the parents on Peanuts t.v. specials. "Wha waa waa waa". I think this is a hearing issue not related to audio pareidolia. But very weird to experience.

New Threads

Top Bottom