• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Music?

Can you physically feel music when listening to it?

• HECK YEAH!

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • Uh, no...

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Other (feel free to explain! I'd love to read your response)

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters

iamlindsaythatisall

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday
Ever since I can remember, I've been able to physically FEEL music. And it is always an extremely intense feeling. Some songs are more intense than others, obviously... but that's the only way I can describe it. I was just curious how many others in this community have the same experience! I know I wouldn't ever want give up this ability. It's one of the few things in this world that gives me those intense feels :p :D

Please let me know! I'm very curious.

Yes!!! I always thought I was one of the only ones lol.
Glad to meet someone else who has this experience too :)
I’m a musician so being able to feel music really helps!

Only once that I can remember. But it was an accident. I got stuck directly in front of Leslie West's amplifier for an entire set when he played one of our local clubs. For a while it was a very sharp pain in both ears, and then I couldn't hear anything except a steady tone: 'whooooooooooooooo' for about an hour. It was very strange going out to eat with my friends afterwards and try and carry on a conversation by lip reading.

West-01-facebookJumbo.jpg

;)

Last time I was at Lollapalooza I could definately feel the bass line in my chest. Especially from The Killers and Gaslight Anthem! (added) Then there was Lou Reed who went on a riff that lost half the audience. Too bad, I was groovin' in my own "Walk on the Wild Side."

Last edited:
Last time I was at Lollapalooza I could definately feel the bass line in my chest. Especially from The Killers and Gaslight Anthem! (added) Then there was Lou Reed who went on a riff that lost half the audience. Too bad, I was groovin' in my own "Walk on the Wild Side."
OH, HOW JELLY I AM! The Killers was one of my obsessions! Listened to Hot Fuzz countless times on my crappy CD player that had to be duct taped together! I would have fainted if I saw Lou Reed…

Yes!!! I always thought I was one of the only ones lol.
Glad to meet someone else who has this experience too :)
I’m a musician so being able to feel music really helps!
I was in band in high school and have recently picked up guitar. I also took dance lessons when I was younger. I could never really describe how it feels to anyone…

OH, HOW JELLY I AM! The Killers was one of my obsessions! Listened to Hot Fuzz countless times on my crappy CD player that had to be duct taped together! I would have fainted if I saw Lou Reed…
You would have liked that Lollapalooza. It also introduced me to Vampire Weekend, Gomez, The Greencards and The Decemberists, who did The Hazards of Love (OMFG)!

I have found that if you don't let your musical tastes fossilize at your teen years, you have a lifetime of music to look forward to.

You might be referring to "frisson" which is different than feeling beats, bass, etc. Hearing is not required to feel pounding music.

Yes, I have frisson so I do actually "feel" music. I've described it as my hearing being wired directly to my nervous system. Notes, songs, etc can trigger a flush, an overwhelming wave from head to toe for me. Almost like getting mild electrical shock over my whole body.

Frisson - Wikipedia

There is a meditation exercise I do that's sort of close. I imagine a large elastic sheet, that moves to the music and changes with the tone and timbre.

I'm glad you are studying guitar, it's joyous. The good players do scales and chord progressions for hours a day, to build the hands, and the ball of the thumb is supposed to be pushing on the back of the neck, I remember that. Long time ago for me. I could never really do the bar chords, where the index finger goes all the way across

There is some music where I hear the voice of God. I've marked one as one of the wonders of the Earth, as one of man's greatest accomplishments.

It creates different emotions in me depending on what I am listening to.
Like a collage of flavors, it gets me through the day.

I've also physically felt it at some concerts.
I think the Moody Blues, of all people, had the sound that I could feel pounding in my chest
more than any others I've been too.

...the music's so loud, you can see the sound
reaching for the sky and tearing up the ground...

There is a meditation exercise I do that's sort of close. I imagine a large elastic sheet, that moves to the music and changes with the tone and timbre.

I'm glad you are studying guitar, it's joyous. The good players do scales and chord progressions for hours a day, to build the hands, and the ball of the thumb is supposed to be pushing on the back of the neck, I remember that. Long time ago for me. I could never really do the bar chords, where the index finger goes all the way across
Barre chords are my worst enemy >.<

It creates different emotions in me depending on what I am listening to.
Like a collage of flavors, it gets me through the day.

I've also physically felt it at some concerts.
I think the Moody Blues, of all people, had the sound that I could feel pounding in my chest
more than any others I've been too.

...the music's so loud, you can see the sound
reaching for the sky and tearing up the ground...
Moody Blues are a band that definitely give me the intense feels!

Perhaps this is why I find mainstream music so unappealing - because mainstream society is of no interest to me. As with many, I don't really feel like I fit in, and music is an amazing outlet. As such, I've always been drawn towards underground genres and artists. Collecting music is one of my intensive interests.

I enjoy an evening smoke, then turning off all the lights and listening to music whilst sat on my comfy crocheted throw/rug, cross legged and swaying from left to right for hours on end. Taking vivid trips into my imagination and pondering all manner of things.

Ed

New Threads

Top Bottom