• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Multivitamins in pregnancy may be linked to lower autism risk in children

Butterfly88

Jello Queen
V.I.P Member
Multivitamins in pregnancy may be linked to lower autism risk in children

Evidence not yet sufficient to change practice but findings warrant further investigation, say researchers
Date:
October 4, 2017
Source:
BMJ
Summary:
Taking multivitamins during early pregnancy may be associated with a reduced risk of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) in children compared with mothers who do not take multivitamins, finds a study.

The researchers stress that their findings cannot establish cause and effect, but say they raise questions about a possible association that warrant further investigation.

Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) includes a range of conditions, including Asperger syndrome, that affect a person's social interaction, communication, interests and behaviour. It's estimated that about 1 in every 100 people in the UK has ASD. More boys are diagnosed with the condition than girls.

Research indicates that ASD most likely develops in the womb and that a mother's diet during pregnancy could have an influence. But results from previous studies have been inconsistent, suggesting that other unmeasured factors (confounding), such as a mother's overall health and lifestyle, could also play a role.

So an international research team set out to assess whether nutrient supplementation during pregnancy is associated with reduced risk of ASD, with and without intellectual disability.

They applied three analytical methods to a sample of 273,107 mother-child pairs living in Stockholm, Sweden. The sample was restricted to children who were 4 to 15 years of age by December 31 2011 and were born between 1996 and 2007.

Women reported their use of folic acid, iron, and multivitamin supplements at their first antenatal visit and cases of child ASD were identified from national registers.

After adjusting for several potentially influencing factors in both mothers and children, the researchers found that multivitamin use, with or without additional iron and/or folic acid, was associated with a lower likelihood of child ASD with intellectual disability relative to mothers who did not use folic acid, iron, and multivitamins.

There was no consistent evidence that either iron or folic acid use were associated with a reduced risk of ASD.

The results of the various analyses seemed to be consistent with each other, say the authors, suggesting that the association between multivitamins and ASD might not be fully explained by confounding.

They point to several study limitations, such as the potential for confounding and difficulty assessing type, timing and dose of supplements. However strengths included the relatively large population-based sample size and the advanced analytical methods used to gauge the robustness of findings.

"Together, the three analyses appear to point toward a potential inverse association between multivitamin use with ASD with intellectual disability," say the authors.

Given the current understanding and strength of evidence supporting the importance of nutritional supplementation during pregnancy, "it is impossible to imagine that these results, on their own, should change current practice," they write. However, they say these findings "raise questions that warrant investigation" and call for verification in randomised studies "before recommending a change to current practice."

Source: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/10/171004190457.htm

Interesting, but as they said I certainly think this requires more investigation. I sort of doubt something so simple would prevent something so complex such as autism.

The way I read it, the supplements have an impact on intellectual disability rather than autism per se.
One question comes to mind, however: who is funding the study? Any vested interests?

You're right, it did seem to mention intellectual disabilities too. Maybe they tested people who had both ASD and intellectual disabilities? It's hard to tell. Yes, it's always important to see who funds a study. If it was a vitamin manufacturer for example I'd be more likely to doubt the results. I'm surprised they didn't say who funded it.

My point, exactly :)
They're talking about ASD children with intellectual disabilities, but I'm not sure from what I read whether they are compared
- Against other ASD children without intellectual disabilities,
- Against non-ASD children with intellectual disabilities,
- Or against children who show neither signs of autism or intellectual disability.

Can you imagine the level of accuracy if studies were set up by Aspies? Actual control groups, disclaimer on the funding right in the summary, and so on... maybe research would be a little less biased. There are a bunch of articles about the fact that whether we like it or not, a lot of the research is made with a particular result in mind, so there is an unconscious tendency to favor those findings that go in the same direction as the expected outcome, whether it's in the selection or the methods used. (Kind of like statistics; numbers are neutral, but you can make them tell any story you like if you set them up against the "right" background for your purposes)

It is my understanding that ASD is determined at conception, there are some rumors/studies indicating that sickness (as example a cold) within the female at conception could cause ASD - again further studies needed.

Studies by aspies would be amazing. They really should start hiring more aspies for research jobs.

Interesting Keigan, I didn't know that.

I looked at the full paper and, for one thing, they don't include standard deviations on all of their numerical findings (they do on some but not on others, and not on the ones they used to draw their conclusions). That is pretty essential to determine whether one factor actually has a cause and effect relationship on another factor, or if it could just be a random variation.

For another thing, the study suggests that taking just folic acid without iron or a multivitamin actually increases the chance of having a child with ASD (2.8 vs. 2.2%) over not taking any type of supplement, but that the chances of a comorbid intellectual disability for children with ASD is reduced (0.5% for either case). If you want to see for yourself, this information comes from the second paragraph in the Results - Study Sample section.

However, without doing a statistical analysis on the findings, it would be hard to say whether the effects are really significant, or whether there are any concidental factors at work (perhaps mothers with ASD themselves are more likely to take just folic acid, or something like that). They present the information and results in such an unclear way that it actually makes the paper annoying to read. They did that whole sibling study but they didn't seem to conclude anything from it.

Good observation. 2.8% vs 2.2% is probably just be because something else is different in the samples, as I doubt folic acid causes autism.

Haha, while reading something else, I just stumbled upon recent research (on a smaller population) that establishes that folic acid reduces the risk of "pesticide-caused autism": Maternal folic acid intake round conception may reduce children's pesticide-related autism risk
The little voice in my head is currently screaming So which one is it? Make up your mind, already, scientists! :confused:

Maybe they should just stick to the finding that B9 reduces risks of spina bifida, because who wants a baby with an open-air spine?

Are multivitamins effected by smoking or excessive alcoho or stress? The use of pesticides, E numbers, preservatives MSG etc. Things added to food, are these looked at for messing up the body/brain? A healthy diet is a good idea anyway

New Threads

Top Bottom