• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

BIMOG

Noivilbo Kees I : Я ищу забвение
For as long as I can remember I've had a tendency to buy duplicates of things that I like, particularly things that I'm obsessed with. I'm currently obsessed with Ben, a character from the movie "Le Temps Do Loup." I've already got six different copies of the movie on DVD and I'm awaiting the arrival of three more copies that I've bought in the past couple of days...

4rlSu92.jpg

As you can see from the photo I've also got three movie programs and a movie information card too.

I do the same thing with virtually everything that I like. I buy multiple copies of favorite DVDs, CDs, toys and pretty much everything else. At least my copies of "Le Temps Du Loup" DVDs are from different countries and they have different covers, but in other cases I've bought multiple copies of DVDs and CDs that are identical in every way. I've got 13 copies of Jamie Shaw's "When You believe" CD album and 28 copies of the "Figure It Out" CD1 CD Single by Lil' Chris.

I can't be the only person in the world who does this can I? Am I insane or is this a recognized ASD trait?

If you also do it, post on this thread and help me to feel that perhaps I'm not such a total freak after all.

I wish I could afford to buy one copy of something I like, let alone multiples!! I buy multiples of things like cleaning products, because I can only stand the smell of certain ones and I worry about them selling out or the prices increasing or discontinuing product lines. So more necessity than enjoyment I suppose...

I don't consider the cost, If I really want something I just go ahead and buy it and then worry about the debt I've put myself into afterwards :)

I don't go to your extreme with most things that I like (I don't even have the money) but I do buy duplicates of clothes. I actually have s minor obsession with clothes and clothes-making. I realized recently that this is socially odd because (in addition to having my own style of fashion) it must look to others like I wear the same shirt every day. I do wear the same shirt for a long time, actually.

The only thing I tend to do this with is Magic cards. Even if I already have a playset (four coppies of a card, the maximum you can play in a deck) I still have to fight the desire to snatch up additional coppies at drafts.

Oh, and creature tokens. I have so many soldier tokens it's absurd. Technically, anything can stand in for a token, and one can easily mark a token to indicate multiples, but I just never feel like I have enough. Add to this the fact that they frequently reprint certain tokens with new art pertaining to the set. Well; I can't have my tokens be off theme for the hypothetical block constructed deck I am never going to build. The same thing goes for basic lands.

I have one or two albums in multiple copies - vinyl, CD, digital, original CD, remastered CD... but I only do this for albums I really like, and I worry that they might somehow be destroyed and I won't be able to replace them.

I've just bought another DVD of "Le Temps Du Loup," which will take my current total to ten DVDs of the movie. I'm still trying to track down the Russian and Turkish releases of the movie too. I'm up to my navel in debt but who cares? After all which is more important, to buy something that makes you happy or to look at some numbers on a bank statement?

I have little collection of transformers toys which I don't take out of boxes: I don't really know why it was so important for me to buy them if I don't feel like looking at them often and touching them. I'm just getting calm by very knowledge about me owning them.
I admire the personalities of these transformers and in my youth I got a lot of support in my everyday life from their behaviour in the cartoons.

Also I have several discs of the same movie (that I admire) - just to be sure that if one disc is suddenly broken, I still have another copy to enjoy.
I thought (while attending myself the kindergarten) to steal the toy - exact copy of my favourite toy back in home which got wear and tear due to my nibbling and gnawing the toy too much by then

I generally buy multiples only by mistake because I forgot what I got in my mess.:confused: an exception to that would be my appreciation for the same song done by different artists. I made a CD compilation out of as many different versions of "I wonder as I wander" as I could find, also different versions of "greensleeves."

I'm up to my navel in debt but who cares? After all which is more important, to buy something that makes you happy or to look at some numbers on a bank statement?
Money may not exist, unfortunately the consequences of running out of it are very real. You might want to reassess your spending habbits.

On an other note; does collecting money count as collecting multiples? No matter how many dollar bills (or Loonies where I'm from) they never seem satisfied.

I've just bought another DVD of "Le Temps Du Loup," which will take my current total to ten DVDs of the movie. I'm still trying to track down the Russian and Turkish releases of the movie too. I'm up to my navel in debt but who cares? After all which is more important, to buy something that makes you happy or to look at some numbers on a bank statement?
That'll catch up to you.

Oh, yes! I'm not sure it is an aspie trait, but I always had this thing. Whenever I like something very very much, the first impulse is to get at least two of that. It takes some inner persuasion to limit myself with just one item. I have two identical Ikea sharks, the big ones (I love sharks!), they're like guardians on the sides of the sofa! :D

Then I have some other toys, clothes and some useless stuff that have doubles. The reasoning is almost always the same: 'if one goes damaged, I have the other'. But sometimes, like in the shark case, it's more like: one is good, two is better! ;)

I'm trying to keep it under control, though.

Life is too short to be confined by reality. If I only bought what I could afford my life would be sadly lacking in things which bring me pleasure. I always pay off my debts eventually but if one day I drop dead while still in debt that'll be someone else's problem not mine :p

Hmmm ... my interest is food and since I teach Culinary Arts, I have a spare freezer and refrigerator in my garage. I also have extensive shelving for dry goods.

With the possible exception of fresh produce, I have just about everything I like stored in my garage. If I want prime rib with au jus and a twice baked potato at 2 AM, I can do that. Roast duck a l'orange ... I'm your chef ... though I much prefer a Chinese roast duck served with a crispy skin, Peking style with Chinese pancakes, hoison sauce, and chopped green onions.

And it's not enough to just have one prime rib in the freezer .... I have three ... two of which were already roasted to just under rare before being cooled, sliced, and individually wrapped, dated, labeled, and frozen for future use. It's also not enough to have one frozen duck ... I have four as well as 10 pounds of duck legs and a large container of duck fat for confit. I also have bags of shrimp, individually wrapped lobster tails, and packages of ox tails, lamb, venison, elk, and boar.

I have enough canned goods to open a small grocery store ... rows of tomato paste, diced tomatoes, whole tomatoes, and tomato sauce and bags of sun dried diced tomatoes ... boxes of spaghetti, angel hair pasta, rice noodles, Polish kluski, Fettuccine, macaroni ... cans of kidney beans, pinto beans, refried beans, black beans, and garbanzo beans.

Food is admittedly an obsession. I grew up in a service family stationed abroad in 3rd world countries and one thing my parents learned was that shopping abroad for groceries wasn't like shopping in the states. If you saw something you liked, you'd best buy it out because the next time you went to the store, that item might not be there.

That is so funny that you brought this up, and yes I do this too. Most recently I became obsessed with Coleman lanterns and decided to find as many as I could of the exact same model and ended up with 8 model 220J's. -I can't wait for the next time the power goes out!

Attachments

• lanterns.jpg
    lanterns.jpg
    480.5 KB · Views: 241
That is so funny that you brought this up, and yes I do this too. Most recently I became obsessed with Coleman lanterns and decided to find as many as I could of the exact same model and ended up with 8 model 220J's. -I can't wait for the next time the power goes out!

Hmmmm ... I have been thinking about getting a portable generator because if the power were to go out for an extended period, I'd lose hundreds of dollars worth of food.

I do have a portable butane stove and I suppose I could have the block party to end all block parties ... food wise at least ... if only I was sociable enough to actually WANT to have a block party but as it is, I don't know who my neighbors are. I enter and leave my home through a remote controlled garage door. I don't talk to anyone. They don't talk to me. Nobody knocks on my door. It's all quite peaceful.

I like your lanterns. I have some candles ... well more than a few. They're all food candles that I made myself in various realistic fragrances. Picture below is a batch of tart candles that I've been working on. They're incomplete because I need to paint the crust with a melted golden brown wax with dark brown shadows to simulate actual baked crusts.

Your lanterns probably give out more light. I may have to look into acquiring a couple. (Smile)

Candle Tarts.jpg

Last edited:
I collect duplicates sometimes as well. For me it is a comfort to know that if I have two or more of something, then if I lose one I still have others. I do that for all of my favorite things.

I am the same way. If something s important to me, I like to have multiples of it. I reasoned if out that I do that to replace the original if it's lost or wears too much.

For me, it comes down to that old adage, "Two is one and one is none."

Exactly. That old adage is how I see things too. I am pretty sure that collecting multiples of things is ok.

YES! YES! YES!

I'm so PLEASED to find kindred souls who get this! Some NTs have suggested that I'm a hoarder but everything I have in my garage is related to my Culinary Arts job and all of the food will be eaten at some point or given away as a gift to an NT colleague. And really ... how often do you find wild boar shoulder in the supermarket? Answer: NEVER! Which is why I have two in my freezer.

Many's the time I've wanted a roast duck over the weekend only to find that none of the rural supermarkets have them in stock ... so when I see a duck in the frozen section (and it's almost always just one as though the manager ordered it as a just in case afterthought), I BUY IT.

With this being said, I suppose it's possible that having two refrigerators and a freezer filled with food and a half dozen wire shelves filled with canned goods and dried foods may be a bit OCD. (sigh)

Hoarding.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom