• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Multiple Complex Pervasive Disorder

whale_bone

V.I.P Member
Multiple Complex (or Multiplex) Pervasive Developmental Disorder.

Anyone heard of it? I stumbled across it when I was looking into the historical schizophrenia-autism connection.

I'm trying to figure out what diagnosis makes most sense and part of that is looking into family history of mental pathology... and there's A LOT of it. On both sides. The men tend to have typical asperger traits. They were just dismissed as eccentric and left to their own devices.

The women, however got diagnosed shizophrenic, sometimes from childhood. Although they didn't necessarily "hear voices", more that they had unusual, enduring, consuming preoccupations. Writers, mostly.

The closest relations are my grandma and my Aunt. My grandma ended up with a pre-frontal lobotomy and turned into a zombie-like scrabble genius. My Aunt killed herself, but not before mysteriously disappearing on several occassions... at least once to Mexico.

And my brother got a schizophrenia diagnosis, although he's always been more Autism-Spectrumy. And I have a great Aunt who here's voices, and takes anti-psychotics... but she's one of the smartest people I've ever met. And her voices are hilarious.

But still, not a pretty picture.

Anyways McDD is considered autism-spectum, kind of like PDD-[N]OS. It includes psychotic symptoms, neurotic/behavioural symptoms, autistic symptoms, and neurological symptoms. These overlap a bit.

But I noticed that, on the wiki page at least, this counts as psychotic:

"Disorganized behavior and/or speech such as thought disorder, easy confusability, inappropriate emotions/facial expressions, uncontrollable laughter, etc."

hurray I have a psychotic symptom. Now I'm terrified that I'm going to collapse into psychotic delusion. :(

So, Anyone heard of McDD?
Thoughts on Schizo-Autie connection/ divergence?
>For me I think that synesthesia might be key.

ah goddd and this girl- I wish I could make the world better for her... safe? more anchored? I don't know.
I feel like I could understand her better than these obnoxious interviewers.

Last edited by a moderator:
hurray I have a psychotic symptom. Now I'm terrified that I'm going to collapse into psychotic delusion. :(

It's ok, we can become delusional together!

"Disorganized behavior and/or speech such as thought disorder, easy confusability, inappropriate emotions/facial expressions, uncontrollable laughter, etc."

I haven't heard of multiple complex, but that description sounds like me as well.. hmmm, just read that it's not in the DSM. interesting.

sounds like a all you can eat buffet, i get somwhat like that when im in a agitated manic sort of state, or just plain manic

Old thread, but...

I've come across McDD. It's intriguing but I don't know if it would ever make it to the official dx handbook because even the concept of whether someone could have schizo<x> symptoms and be on the autism spectrum is up for debate. Let alone a dx that combines the two.

I was looking under the criteria and I think would probably meet it. I already have been dxed with schizoaffective disorder, which involves both schizophrenia symptoms and a mood disorder, so that's two of the criteria already there.

I do think that a person can both have a psychotic issue and be on the spectrum. Personally, I find it reasonably easy to differentiate my schizoaffective issues with the spectrum issues. Basically, my schizoaffective issues are largely mood issues and positive symptoms, and my spectrum issues are your run-of-the-mill social issues, obsessions, sensory issues, etc.

Also, re: "Disorganized behavior and/or speech such as thought disorder, easy confusability, inappropriate emotions/facial expressions, uncontrollable laughter, etc." The schizo presentation of those behaviours are different to the autism presentation. For an example of disorganised speech, look up the concept of a "word salad". I have come across some examples of word salad in my time and it's like someone randomly throwing words into sentences. The words themselves are okay, but the usage is bizarre.

New Threads

Top Bottom