• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Movies you watched when you were too young to watch them...

AGXStarseed

I've seen a few stories on here across certain posts of people watching films that were rated for an older audience then they were at the time. So with that said, I'm curious; which films did you watch that you were "too young" to watch and what did you think of them.

For me, three films that come to mind when I think about films I watched that I was "too young" for were Jeepers Creepers, Jeepers Creepers 2 and Alien.
Jeepers Creepers was a film I watched when I was 10 and because my eldest sister had borrowed it off a friend to watch; choosing to watch it in our living room and having no issue with letting her 10 year old brother sit in to watch a movie where two teens are pursued by a monster that eats parts of people that it wants. I had a few bad dreams, but nothing major and I still watch it from time to time. Ironically, my younger brother also ended up watching it at around the same time and not being that fussed by it either as far as I'm aware.

For Jeepers Creepers 2, my brother and I both saw that together a few years later but been closer to the age range when it played late one night on TV. We couldn't sleep at the time and we hadn't seen it so we kept it on at a low volume since our mum was sleeping in the room next to ours.
This one I don't remember as fondly and my few memories of it are more for laughing at it because of how silly it is rather than any genuine feeling of fear, like one scene where the Creeper uses its wing to rip a teenager's head off - the body flailing around like a metaphorical headless chicken - with me and my brother trying to hide our laughter.

Finally for Alien, I watched this one when I was 14 one night and it did genuinely unnerve me a fair bit - especially as I got the feeling of the facehugger implanting something into Kane as it reminded me a bit of a parasitic wasp, but still I was unprepared for the infamous chestburster scene and actively jumped with a loud "whoa!" when Kane's ribcage exploded.

So repeating what I said, which films did you watch that you were "too young" to watch and what did you think of them?

My parents were strict about movies, but I could sneak to the library and rent out any book I wanted. One of the first I started with was Stephen King's IT, at about 7 years old. It terrified me, and inspired me all at once. I've been a lover of his work ever since.

One thing l watched was The Prisoner - a tv show about a white balloon that chased this guy around- he could never go anywhere. It disturbed me.
People under the stairs- that movie totally creeps me out. Night of the Living Dead was too realistic for me. Some strange grotesque show called *Freaks* filmed in LA
It used actual circus performers.

Last edited:
My father took me to see Jaws when I was young. About 12? I always loved swimming & diving beforehand. Water baby I was.

NEVER been happy in the sea since, especially deep water. Ruined a whole lifetime of fun I could've had later, through this fear. Snorkeling, scuba diving, deep diving, surfing etc..I so want to, but if I can't see the bottom clear, it's a big fat NOPE from me. My own fear pisses me off big time. Thanks Dad (not) :(

I watched Centipede when I was about 7/8 but thought it was stupid and this Egyptian horror movie I can’t remember the name off. I watched Twilight at at 10 which was traumatic enough. It amazes me I watched all these but my cousin won’t allowed to watch the first Harry Potter til she was 8.

@Aspychata
Freaks. Yes, that actually got banned for years but actually was an important message I thought?
I found it was similar/along the lines of Erasurehead. Another deeply disturbing yet hardly any dialogue film.
There may be no connection at all in reality other than my own experience of these two movies, but my Brian has decided to link them o_O

Too young? Probably not. I did see "Carnal Knowledge" at age 16. My bad. :p

No one ever carded me at the theater for "R" rated films as a teenager and this one was considered "edgy" for the times. I still recall my mother asking me what movie I was going to. She was not amused! :oops:

Admittedly though I liked it a whole lot more seeing it again as an adult. Typical Jack Nicholson fare...

Carnal Knowledge (film) - Wikipedia

Last edited:
@Aspychata
Freaks. Yes, that actually got banned for years but actually was an important message I thought?
I found it was similar/alo

ng the lines of Erasurehead. Another deeply disturbing yet hardly any dialogue film.
There may be no connection at all in reality other than my own experience of these two movies, but my Brian has decided to link them o_O

There probably was an important msg but it was too creepy at that age for me. I think l was a tween. Now l can watch Night of the Living Dead.

Mostly it has always been books for me. I've been into horror stuff since I was a kid. I have so many. Stephen King and Dean Koontz have always been the mainstays for me. I would have also had everything Lovecraft if I'd been aware of his stuff at the time.

As for movies? A few, but I cant remember them all that well.

I do have a very strong memory though of one movie that I cant for the life of me remember the name of. It had this monster thing, that accidentally fell from space (and later in the movie this alien dude shows up to catch it and save everyone, fails miserably, because of course he does). The monster didnt like eat everyone or stuff like that. Not in the traditional sense anyway. It'd jam this spear thing into someone, there'd be a weird noise, it would suck out some sort of "essence", and the victim would just... fall apart. They'd end up as this chunky pile of green goo and, I dunno, eyeballs and whatnot. It was quite strange. Many of the characters in the movie were even stupider than the usual horror protagonists. I remember one guy tried to control the thing for a time for... some reason. After not all that long it turned on him. I mean, really, what kind of horror movie character tries to take the freaking monster as a pet? It's not like the thing looked friendly.

I dont remember when I saw this. Was it when I was a kid? Or was it much later on?

On a side note, I also remember the most bloody stupid one I'm aware of. I think it's called "Death Bed: The Bed that Eats".

*looks it up*

Wow yeah that's the actual title. It's so completely stupid that I thought for sure I had the wrong name. I havent seen that in a very long time but I remember watching it with a friend and there sure was alot of pausing it because we were laughing too hard.

There's a third one I remember, but it has some elements that arent really appropriate for discussion here. It was just as freaking ridiculous as that last one. I was definitely too young when I saw whatever that was.

Honestly movies these days dont really seem to do the crazy wacky stuff anymore. Well, unless it's stuff on Youtube. Independent creators make all sorts of loopy stuff.

My Mom and us kids watched 'Carnival of Souls' one night when I was about 5-6.

carnival of souls 08.jpg

I was actually ok. I think it mostly went over my head. It was harder on my older brother and sister (twins around 11). I just watched again for the first time since not long ago and found it a pretty classic old B grade horror/thriller.

Unlike every other kid on the planet, I didn't usually want to watch movies that were not recommended for young viewers. If the movie had a lot of swearing I would get disgusted and uncomfortable, even if there was nothing else in it really bad. A lot of movies have done this just to avoid the dreaded G rating. It just makes them appear more juvenile.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre... absolutely awful. That's the kind of movie I wouldn't want to watch at any age.

While I don't know if it was an inappropriate movie for a very young child (I was three) to see. I recall seeing "Robin and the Seven Hoods." I really don't remember anything of the movie except one song.
Which to my mothers everlasting embarrassment is where I learned to spell my first word. She told me later that everywhere we went I was saying "B double O ZE that sure spells Booze." while she tried to explain how I learned that.

I think movies may have been rated, but I don't ever remember paying attention to ratings (except x - didn't go see them). But one that stays with me, I was very young and went with my sister to see this movie starring Ringo and there was a scene that I had no idea what or why he was doing what he was doing and it was very confusing and embarrassing to me and, even then, I wished I hadn't seen it because it was a scene that will remain in my memory for the rest of my life. Yes, now I know he was making out, but I was much too young to see that. The scary movies didn't bother me and I'm sure I was way too young. But like everything else, my mom didn't know to care about things like that - just like with our report cards she'd sign and not even look at.

But I did learn my lesson with my kids. As scary movies or horror films never bothered me, I assumed they would be like me, as they begged to see Pet Semetary, and they were little kids. So I let them. Then on the way to bed, my son asked if I thought it'd be okay if he prayed to not have nightmares. Gulp. Next time I gave it a little more thought.

While I don't know if it was an inappropriate movie for a very young child (I was three) to see. I recall seeing "Robin and the Seven Hoods." I really don't remember anything of the movie except one song.
Which to my mothers everlasting embarrassment is where I learned to spell my first word. She told me later that everywhere we went I was saying "B double O ZE that sure spells Booze." while she tried to explain how I learned that.
Funny. That's like my parents hated when I was little and went around singing Tammy Wynett's D-I-V-O-R-C-E. lol

I think movies may have been rated, but I don't ever remember paying attention to ratings (except x - didn't go see them). But one that stays with me, I was very young and went with my sister to see this movie starring Ringo and there was a scene that I had no idea what or why he was doing what he was doing and it was very confusing and embarrassing to me and, even then, I wished I hadn't seen it because it was a scene that will remain in my memory for the rest of my life. Yes, now I know he was making out, but I was much too young to see that.

Ringo wasn't in a lot of pictures, so I can only guess perhaps the movie in question.

I know the film "Candy" was definitely not intended for children. I remember as a kid talking about the novel by Terry Southern with my friends. Not intended for children either...lol.

Candy (1968 film) - Wikipedia

Ringo wasn't in a lot of pictures, so I can only guess perhaps the movie in question.

I know the film "Candy" was definitely not intended for children. I remember as a kid talking about the novel by Terry Southern with my friends. Not intended for children either...lol.

Candy (1968 film) - Wikipedia
Wait I looked up movies with him in it - It was "The Magic Christian." Don't remember anything else about the movie except the part where they filled a pool full of sewage and through money in it and people diving to get the money. (1969)

I didn't watch any movies in full above my age range, however I did see a few clips and trailers.

When I was eight I saw a scene from Child's Play on a countdown list of best villains. It was enough to give me reoccurring nightmares and this eventually contributed to me developing a greater fear of realistic looking dolls. At the time I already disliked them somewhat since the blank unwavering expressions made me deeply uncomfortable. My head teacher used to have a collection of dolls on a sofa outside her office. I used to turn them around so they weren't facing me or I'd throw them on the floor. Even now I highly dislike when a realistic looking doll is facing me. Especially porcelain dolls and / or ones that look like toddlers. I've never watched Child's Play in full and I'm not going to. Since I know that if I did I wouldn't sleep for ages.

However, it was usually books when it came to media that was considered inappropriate for my age. I remember reading a book that was rated young adult (this rating is usually aimed at teenagers) when I was ten. The book was required reading from my school. I even read some of the original brothers Grimm versions of fairy-tales. That version of Cinderella sticks in my mind as being quite gory. It was technically labelled as a children's book, but... o_O:eek: I read a lot of not-so-child-friendly fairy tales. The stories we covered in school very rarely sugar-coated topics.

As a child I used to write some rather disturbing horror stories. The kind that wouldn't be considered appropriate for children the age I was when I wrote them. I still wonder sometimes if that contributed to me being sent to counselling. Admittedly I lacked enough emotional intelligence back then to directly deal with certain issues I was going through. So as a coping mechanism I tended to take out my frustration on fictional characters.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom