• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Movies/TV/Anime to watch when you Want to Feel Depressed.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
Movies -
Requiem for a Dream
Irreversible
Sophie’s Choice
Bridge to Terabithia
I Stand Alone
Clean, Shaven
Gate of Hell
Ran

TV -
The Walking Dead

Anime -
Grave of the Fireflies
Gundam 0080
Victory Gundam
Tekkenkinkreet
Children of the Whales

What are your downer watches?

What are good ones for when you prefer not to feel depressed? I'm thinking, Harry Potter, especially the first few. It does get a bit darker. Also, Studio Ghibli has some uplifting and beautiful films. Airplane. Airplane 2. The Men in black series. I quite like The Devil Wears Prada. Star wars. Local Hero. Great atmosphere and inspiring.

Seinfeld.
Hogan's Heroes.
The Three Stooges
Batman the Animated Series 90s version
Dragonball Z also 90s version

Anything at all as long as it is with a friend. I hate watching movies alone.

I can't say I've ever wanted to watch anything to become depressed. That makes no sense to me. Though it has on occasion happened that a film has left me depressed. But sometimes within that I can glean some life lesson that may be useful. But useful to combat negative feelings, not the other way around.

'Ran' was an intense film, but illuminating on politics. And it had some realistic samurai battle scenes. Based on King Lear of course.

The Walking Dead has often been depressing, particularly thru out the interminable Savior years. But I think the new showrunner Angela Kang has done a great job bringing back humanity to the series whilst maintaining great tension. The Whisperer story in my opinion was perhaps the best yet. The humanity of the show has often rested on the rehabilitation of individuals if even only for a moment at the end (right before they get eaten usually). But rather then depict it in black and white she has a better feel for the greys of reality and which make it more believable.

But it you must have a suggestion, to lose your faith in humanity, I'd say just about any Soap Opera.

Soap-Opera-465x310.jpg

Mulholland Road
Memento
The machinist
Fight club
Forrest Gump (the end of the film, indeed...)

That's my list

It also happens to me sometimes, I duuno why but I suddenly have the need to watch gay films, they always end up messed up, one of them has HIV and dies or whatever

It also happens to me sometimes, I duuno why but I suddenly have the need to watch gay films, they always end up messed up, one of them has HIV and dies or whatever

Last summer my sister wanted to watch a lesbian film made by actual gay people with a happy ending. It turned into this whole quest just to find one, she did but it took a whole week.

I go for funny when I’m down. My top choice is Tangled the Series. I also like Duck Tales and Steven Universe cartoon wise. I watch repeats of specific shows like Bad Education and Bug Bang Thory.

When I'm feeling down, which is most of the time, I like to watch films that fit with my mood rather than happy ones, as these do nothing but remind me of my own despair.

That said, these come to mind: The Seventh Continent, Melancholia, Benny's video

For anime, that would be Figure 17: Tsubasa & Hikaru.
The plot of that one is that a shy, introverted girl named Tsubasa and her father move from Tokyo to Hokkaido after the death of Tsubasa's mother so that her father can learn to become a baker (his lifelong dream) while Tsubasa enters a new Grade school.

Things change when an alien spacecraft crash-lands nearby. When Tsubasa goes to investigate, she finds an injured alien pilot (who mostly looks human) before both of them are attacked by a monster called a 'Maguar'. While hiding from it, Tsubasa accidentally bonds with a liquid combat suit that helps her defeat the Maguar. Upon separation, the suit becomes a copy of Tsubasa - complete with all her memories - which is stated to be something that has never happened before.

Both the alien pilot and Tsubasa's clone (choosing the names D.D and Hikaru respectively) begin living in Hokkaido (D.D using his powers to make Tsubasa's dad think the two are twin sisters), while the group - later joined by another of D.D's colleagues named Orudina - continue to track down the remaining Maguars that escaped the crash and develop new weapons to help kill them, with Tsubasa and Hikaru joining together into "Figure 17" (the designation for the combat suit) to fight the monsters.
The task is made harder as Earth's environment not only empowers Figure 17 but also empowers the Maguars. Furthermore, when each Maguar dies, it 'passes on' the information regarding its death, which in turn helps the remaining Maguars to grow stronger and into more varied and resilient forms.

Outside of the monster fights, Hikaru and Tsubasa begin to grow closer and even naturally act like siblings - Tsubasa helping show Hikaru the wonders of living on Earth (which is all a new experience to Hikaru despite sharing their memories) and Hikaru in turn helps Tsubasa to grow, in which Tsubasa eventually regains her confidence and comes to terms with her mother's passing.
However, there is the prominent understanding for Hikaru that once their task is completed, she - one way or another - will have to leave Tsubasa and Earth behind.

The episodes are twice as long as normal, which does allow for more character development. That said, there are plenty of both sweet and sad moments, while the finale (without giving anything away) does tug at your heartstrings.

Here's the show's opening (Tsubasa is the one with the hairclips who has a more worried expression, while Hikaru has her hair tied into a small ponytail and has a happier expression):

Last edited:
If I need to access my sad feelings and have a good cry, my go-to anime is Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal. For regular movies, "Joker" is amazing!

For happy stuff, ehh, whatever tickles my fancy at the time.

New Threads

Top Bottom