• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Movies that made you shed tears of sadness.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
This thread is for the great cinematic tragedies. There are obvious choices like Grave of the Fireflies and Requiem for a Dream, of course. Then there are many lesser known moments in movies that never fail to get some tears out of me.

The suicide scene in The Black Cauldron.
The end of Sid & Nancy.
The end of Hana Bi.
Sophie’s choice in Sophie’s Choice.
The entire second half of Irreversible.
The end of Wolf Children.
The end of The Bicycle Thief.

What movie moments do this for you?

Somewhere in Time - always.
War Horse
Hidalgo

Sure there have been more, but, those come to mind instantly.

The bit in the Accountant when your discover the girl with Autism is the computer genius
The rape scene in 'girl with the dragon tatoo'
Discovering the lead in 'The sixth sence' was dead

The Human Condition (1959), directed by Masaki Kobayashi. Quite possibly the most brilliant film I’ve ever seen. I watch it once a year, and every time the ending fills me with such despair that I can barely eat for the next week.

Also the ending of The Asphalt Jungle (1950) always makes me cry.

It's hard to find movies that actually make me cry, but here's a few that do get me feeling sad or start to get me tearing up.

Death of Littlefoot's mother in The Land Before Time
The "Baby of Mine" scene from Dumbo
Simba trying to wake up Mufasa after the stampede in The Lion King.

The final rendition of "Somewhere" in West Side Story. Actually that song has an added potency because it was performed at the memorial service for the victims of Grenfell Tower.

Dumbo - the animated one
An American Tail
Charlotte's Web
Marley & Me
Les Mis
Steel Magnolias -- the funeral scene
Stella -- all of it
Dead Poets
Patch Adams
Mrs Doubtfire
Penny Serenade
Same Time Last Year :( :( :(
Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan
The Shining
It's a Wonderful Life
One Magic Christmas
All I Want for Christmas -- the video memory
Frosty the Snowman -- when he melts

Last edited:
That scene in The Full Monty (yes really) when Gerald's home is repossessed, and he's forced to reveal that he's been keeping his redundancy secret from his wife Linda all this time...

The Knowing
At the very end where the father (Nicholas Cage) has to give up his son and when he goes to be with his family before the world bursts into flames.

I’m such a softie I cried when I saw We Bought a Zoo, even though it was obvious from the moment we met that tiger that it wasn’t going to make it through the movie :oops:

ET
Charlotte's Web (both versions)
Big Daddy (when Sonny was denied custody)
Click
Prancer 1 and 2
An American Tail (Somewhere Out There)
Pooh's Grand Adventure (Wherever You Are)
Dot and the Kangaroo (especially the ending)
Babe
West Side Story (the ending)
Pokemon The First Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back (both original and Evolution)

This thread is for the great cinematic tragedies. There are obvious choices like Grave of the Fireflies and Requiem for a Dream, of course. Then there are many lesser known moments in movies that never fail to get some tears out of me.

The suicide scene in The Black Cauldron.
The end of Sid & Nancy.
The end of Hana Bi.
Sophie’s choice in Sophie’s Choice.
The entire second half of Irreversible.
The end of Wolf Children.
The end of The Bicycle Thief.

What movie moments do this for you?

I've only relatively recently started emotionally reacting physically to movies with any sort of ease or frequency. Another one of those "weird freak" moments growing up, that I didn't respond, or relate to the concept. The first movie I remember every having such a response to was "8 Seconds"

New Threads

Top Bottom