• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Most messed up/Disturbing Movie You Ever Saw?

there are a few vying for position ,merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence along with any movie portraying Japanese internment camps ,Barbarella ,any movie with animal testing.

My vote for the most disturbing, awful movie was I Spit on Your Grave.

Violent, graphic, soul-destroying gang rape followed by sadistic, creative, and revolting revenge.

I wish I could have that hour back (I refused to finish the movie).

My choices aren't out there in creepy land as the others but these two still creep me out.
Red Sparrow, the bedroom lovemaking scene where the guy is minus his head.Jennifer Lawrence is excellent.

I watched as a tween: The people Under the Stairs ( Wes Craven)and was totally creeped out by little midget people. Later in life, l am still totally creeped out by *midget people*. Lol

Last edited:
Eraserhead (1977).
I found it interesting, though.
Many people would get up and leave, partway through.
It requires great: patience and tolerance of idiosyncrasy.

A coupe of days ago I streamed "Caligula" (1979). It was very messed up. And stupid. I gave up on it after watching about 65%.

As a child I'd probably say Empire of The Sun - due to the scene of a young Christian Bale being separated from his parents amongst a crowd of thousands of people fleeing in terror as the Japanese army invaded. Then he returned home to find it being ransacked by former servants who worked there. The feelings of lonliness and desparation really hit me hard when I saw that film as a child. The film tackled death, the futility of war, prisoner of war camps, torture and various other themes and aspects of the Japanese occupation. I clearly watched it when I was too young to be able to handle or process such a film. Still, it left more of an impression on me than any horror film or extreme film that's sole purpose seems to be to evoke negative emotions.

A couple of my earliest anxious moments were to do with being lost from my family in big department store and I felt similar feelings of panic when I watched those scenes in that film.

In college I did film studies and we had a semester studying extreme cinema. For a few years it peaked my interest in horror and niche genres of cinema. After a while however I grew quite weary of watching these sorts of films.

I suppose 2 stand out examples for me would be Ichi The Killer and Eden Lake. Whilst the latter isn't the most violent or psychologically tormenting film - the ending is very chilling. Speaking of chilling - I agree with a previous post on here with regards to The Blair Witch Project. I think that film worked extremely well given it's limited budget. However, it's use of sound and the portrayal of the disintrigration of the group and their sanity was ingenius.

This is what I think a lot of extreme films miss - they're trying too hard to shock people. Whilst there can be a lot of creativity in the portrayal of the violent or immoral acts that they show - the narrative often fails to provide anything that matches the visceral intensity of what you see. After you've seen a lot of them, they feel a bit like a one trick pony.

Also a previous poster mentioned the German film Stalingrad - I agree wholeheartidly. Of course, a lot of war films will have shocking scenes, but a German film about the turning point of WW2 and the bloodbath that was the tipping point of Operation Barbarossa is always going to be a challenging concept to make.

Similarly, Der Untergang (Downfall) was another German cinematic masterpiece which portrayed the last days of Hitler in the Fuhrerbunker. An absolutely chilling moment in history that was portrayed with a sense of humanity and at times, even humility amongst some of the most deplorable people and actions of the 20th century.

Well worth a watch.

Ed

Eraserhead

Me, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I said the same thing here!!!!!! I had to watch Eraserhead in 15 minute increments the last time I saw it because it affected me so deeply. I couldn’t handle the whole film at once.

Eraserhead (1977).
I found it interesting, though.
Many people would get up and leave, partway through.
It requires great: patience and tolerance of idiosyncrasy.

I’ve often wondered if Eraserhead is most especially intense for autistic people. I felt such despair while watching it, I can’t even tell you.

I have to mention one other movie. The 1959 Japanese film by Masaki Kobayashi called The Human Condition. Eraserhead is traumatizing, but in many ways The Human Condition is even more so.

Also, The Silence (Ingmar Bergman 1963) and Winter Light (also Ingmar Bergman 1963).

There is always the movies of Michael Haneke. Especially Funny Games, The Piano Teacher, Cache and The White Ribbon.

His movies are brilliant, and the twistedness behind them serves a purpose, though.

I have to say The Exorcist because I believe it was the first movie that seriously freaked out so many people. And paved the way for other movies trying to create the same effect.

Last edited:
I once saw a movie about a man whose wife and most of his kids get murdered by a vicious serial killer in the very first scene. His only remaining son, who happens to be physically crippled, gets kidnapped, so he enlists the help of a mentally disabled woman to help get him back.

Finding Nemo

I have to say The Exorcist because I believe it was the first movie that seriously freaked out so many people. And paved the way for other movies trying to create the same effect.

I agree about the Exorcist. I was a kid when that came out and I very logically thought: "If a seemingly average kid like the girl in the movie could become demon possessed then there is no reason that the same thing couldn't happen to me at any time."

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom